Post-Game Talk: Jets win in OT 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
That was a pretty low percentage shot by Pionk and if it would’ve missed Colorado would come back with at least a 2 on 1 if not three on one. However credit to Pionk for a fantastic shot.

I’m really liking AJF. He’s really fast and not scared to hit people. A bit like Barron, but faster. He might add something decent to the bottom six.
That was a FUN game to watch!

We didn't look outclassed against the defending champs, in their barn. Even if we lost in OT, or even in a SO, I'd have been satisfied with our effort. It was a yardstick game, and 1 or 2 points, we still measured up very respectably IMO

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
First I didn't mind the impartial Sportsnet broadcast for once. Greg Millen is a very knowledgeable commentator.

Second I think he was right when he said that Scott Arniel will one day be the next coach of the Jets.

Scott Arniel made some good decisions tonight. I liked the change in defensive pairings. I think it works out to the Jets #1 d-man with the #2, and #3 and #4 paired together. Top pairing created chances, and only looked bad when tired. Dillon-Schmidt were good. Dillon's game was particularly a standout physical effort. Samberg made some play tonight, De Melo, the way he is playing, deserves the lesser role, perhaps one he is more suited for.

Appleton on the top line had some jump, and brought a net drive that Nikolaj Ehlers doesn't bring. Nice to see him and Connor on the same page from their Moose experience. I thought Scheifele played a decent 2 way game, made some smart and strong plays in the offensive zone, but the shift length and faceoffs are things that need improvement.

2nd line had some really good looks. I though Duby had a strong game, Perfetti got points he deserved, and Wheeler has been strong.

I like Lowry and Barron as a combination for the checking line. The decision to move Appleton down to Lowry's line late in the game was a good one, because you could see that plays were being stalled by Maenalanen being a lefty on a line of lefties.

Gagner paying dividends early in the year. Gustafsson's defensive awareness is going to help this team. Not sure who I like more as the 3rd wheel, the new Swede or the Finn. AJF is definitely noticeably fast.

Love the OT decision to start Lowry-Appleton. Arniel basicially says let your best players beat our defensive horses, and the horses won.

I guess Neal Pionk loses the horns, gets to be the hero of the day.

Only question I have is regarding special teams. Morrissey on PP1 is looking really tentative to start the year. Nate Schmidt gets an important touch on the PP goal. Nate Schmidt gets burned on the PK while Morrissey sits. Any chance we see Schmidt promoted to PP1, and Morrissey on PP2, taking regular PK shifts?

Colorado without Landeskog and Kadri aren't nearly as deep of a scoring team.

It's really a nice change to see this team engaged and believing in each other, fighting for each other, early in the year.

Yeah, I hear you on Dillon - I thought he had an outstanding game tonight. Physical when we needed him to be physical, yet responsible with his coverage.

Pionk for the most part was good, however there were a couple of situations where he was out of position and then overplayed the puck in our end that led to some high danger scoring chances against. I attribute that to the ol' bad (read: zero) systems from the prior regime, and that should be addressed as the season progresses.

Morrissey also had a few plays where he was a little too laissez-faire with the puck in our zone, which led to turnovers. Can't do that.

DeMelo again seemed to struggle a little tonight. Not sure what is going on with him so far this year - however he is usually quite reliable, so I expect him to return to form soon.

I didn't notice Schmidt or Samberg much, which means that their play was measured and steady. That's all we want from our guys this year - steady, responsible defense.

All in all, I'm happy with the direction the defense is trending towards. It's going to be a work in progress for a while, but you can see the fundamentals in place, and it should improve as time passes.

Keep it up boys! So far so good!

Also, someone please tell the guys to immediately go to the bench and get a new stick though - you're contributing f*** all to the play without one. I was pulling my hair out on those two Rantanen goals. :rant:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We didn't look outclassed against the defending champs, in their barn. Even if we lost in OT, or even in a SO, I'd have been satisfied with our effort. It was a yardstick game, and 1 or 2 points, we still measured up very respectably IMO

We will only get better the more we play with the new schemes. I kind of like that we play a number of games close together it will help I grain them in muscle memory quicker.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I was thinking the same thing in the third. Even if we had lost and got scored on late I’m super happy with the effort they showed. We matched them very well.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I always have a tough time reconciling your love of Shakespeare and Clutch lol.
Both parties put out some solid poetry, albeit with the obviously vast stylistic gulf between them. :) I saw Clutch years ago as the opener for Motorhead (at the Burt no less), and was really impressed.

Last edited:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Both parties put out some solid poetry, albeit with a vast gulf between them in terms of style.
yet both are distant thirds to W.S. Gilbert, who remains the gold standard of English language wit. He was as sharp as Twain and rapped like Coolio. A less bawdy Benny Hill, yet in innuendo, raunchier than any double entendre in the Exeter book of riddles.

Once, a theater goer at the opening night of a G&S work, mistook the well dressed Gilbert for an usher.
TG: "Excuse me, sir, can you call me a cab?"
WSG: "Okay, you're a four-wheeler"
TG: "I beg your pardon?"
WSG: "Well, you asked me to call you 'a cab', and I certainly can't call you 'hansom'"

(look it up if you need to :P)

Did we clone Landeskog and no one told me? :sarcasm: :laugh:

No, but we'll get Ehlers back, and he's a damn elite forward in his own right.

Both parties put out some solid poetry, albeit with the obviously vast stylistic gulf between them. :) I saw Clutch years ago as the opener for Motorhead (at the Burt no less), and was really impressed.

.. you know the Gilbert / Shakespeare Rap Battle of Destiny is surely coming, at this point :P

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
yet both are distant thirds to W.S. Gilbert, who remains the gold standard of English language wit. He was as sharp as Twain and rapped like Coolio. A less bawdy Benny Hill, yet in innuendo, raunchier than any double entendre in the Exeter book of riddles.

Once, a theater goer at the opening night of a G&S work, mistook the well dressed Gilbert for an usher.
TG: "Excuse me, sir, can you call me a cab?"
WSG: "Okay, you're a four-wheeler"
TG: "I beg your pardon?"
WSG: "Well, you asked me to call you 'a cab', and I certainly can't call you 'hansom'"

(look it up if you need to :P)

No, but we'll get Ehlers back, and he's a damn elite forward in his own right.

.. you know the Gilbert / Shakespeare Rap Battle of Destiny is surely coming, at this point :P
Akin to nothing less than J. Hendrix/Alvin Lee; Schrodinger/Crick; O'Brien/Twain - collaborations to be coveted.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Underrated play by Appleton in OT to spring that 2-on-1.

Not underrated on my watch; I've been stumping it since the game ended. Imagine that -- Mason Appleton, whose greatest claim to fame is being the NHL player whose name sounds the most like a Civil War general (with apologies to Morgan Barron and Declan Chisholm, and any NHL player I've forgotten named "Sherman"), putting on a clean, fundamentally sound hit on one of the greatest players alive today -- and that fundamentally sound play fuelled his team to a scoring chance that the hockey gods deemed worthy of a cash-in.

I've been a bit player in a big team, who has been given a small role, and filled it as best I can. I promise you, Appleton is still sleeping on clouds right now, thinking about the part he played.

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
1666241522208.jpeg

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
That was a pretty low percentage shot by Pionk and if it would’ve missed Colorado would come back with at least a 2 on 1 if not three on one. However credit to Pionk for a fantastic shot.

I'm really liking AJF. He’s really fast and not scared to hit people. A bit like Barron, but faster. He might add something decent to the bottom six.
That was a FUN game to watch!
I like AJF as well, and hope they play him more. He's got good breakaway speed to the net, and not bad finishing hands. I think he may turn out to be a big plus for the Jets.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Barron was solid tonight. Love his size. He’s looking like a decent play maker.

Yeah he has swift feet and can make plays. The main question is if he can translate that into points. There are a lot of bottom-6 players that "look" like they are doing a lot out there but nothing every happens.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I like the wheels of Axel Rose. I'm not sure what else he does, but I like that wherever he's going, he's getting there tout de suite! Given how Bones wants us to play, perhaps having someone with a bottle of NOS rammed up their posterior for a handful of minutes a night isn't a bad deal.

Reactions: GNP

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The Jets defense were also shooting the puck more instead of throwing into the corner like the Dallas game. Nice game from Pionk , when is the last time one of our defenseman scored 2 goals in a game and 1 was the winning goal to boot.:thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad