Pre-Game Talk: Jets vs Leafs, Wednesday Oct. 24th @6pm CST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
This game is all hype and does not represent the hopes and dreams of Canada. But sure, TSN, this is the matchup everyone wants all season and in the finals.

Stay out of the box .

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Laine on the first line. This has to summon Avgard, right?

Seriously please don't Beatlejuice an appearance from him. Do you realize how hard it is to get hime to say his name backwards and banish him back to the 5th dimension? Second Superman reference of the day!

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 4.24.10 PM.png

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Just to clarify it was meant in the context of "1st periods".

No.

Listen to the full interview. At the 6:21 mark he's asked again & cuts the reporter off stating "I'm not going to let you ask that. I don't agree with it. We're not struggling."

Good for Maurice! A totally false narrative being pushed by lazy reporters who bring nothing to a press conference. Can anyone identify who asked this the second time?

Winnipeg Jets Practice Report |

At the tail end of the interview he repeats one last time "We are not struggling, we're living the daily life in the NHL right now"

Best thing many fans can do is listen to interviews...all the way thru! Much more to learn listening to those directly involved with the team answering direct questions as opposed to listening to a call in show that feels the need to fuel listenership via controversy & false narratives.

Last edited:

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Sounds like Laine knows that he is being given a golden opportunity here to prove his worth. In an interview he has said that he needs to "push himself to the extreme" in order to stay on the 1st line.

This could be a bit of a "make or break" moment for Laine's early season, atleast. Can he get his game going, or will we add another pointless game to the list?
Hat trick incoming.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
No.

Listen to the full interview. At the 6:21 mark he's asked again & cuts the reporter off stating "I'm not going to let you ask that. I don't agree with it. We're not struggling."

Good for Maurice! A totally false narrative being pushed by lazy reporters who bring nothing to a press conference. Can anyone identify who asked this the second time?

Best thing many fans can do is listen to interviews...all the way thru!

Ah gotcha. I just saw you bold the "struggling out of the gates" part of the description so that was what I was seeking to clarify.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Sounds like Laine knows that he is being given a golden opportunity here to prove his worth. In an interview he has said that he needs to "push himself to the extreme" in order to stay on the 1st line.

This could be a bit of a "make or break" moment for Laine's early season, atleast. Can he get his game going, or will we add another pointless game to the list?
Agree. It’s the TSN turning point!

teebanas

Feb 27, 2013
West St Paul MB
Is it just me or does it sound like Laine is progressively losing his accent lol . I noticed it with Ehlers over the years too haha. Anywho, GO JETS.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
pXLEki
sportsnet- "there is McDavid, Matthew's and Crosby is a distant 3rd" da ****?
Matthews is beyond over rated at this point in his career, not to say he won’t be 2nd to McDavid one day.
I don’t think Matthews is #2 imo

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Matthews is beyond over rated at this point in his career, not to say he won’t be 2nd to McDavid one day.
I don’t think Matthews is #2 imo

It’s ridiculous to say that Crosby is a distant third, but what I’ve seen of Matthews he may well be #2 already. At least periodically.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
It’s ridiculous to say that Crosby is a distant third, but what I’ve seen of Matthews he may well be #2 already. At least periodically.
Matthews is 2 based on a hot start
He was hot garbage in the playoffs and before anyone says ..it was only one round, GREAT centres will get you extra rounds
I think Scheifele is better right now myself

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Matthews is 2 based on a hot start
He was hot garbage in the playoffs and before anyone says ..it was only one round, GREAT centres will get you extra rounds
I think Scheifele is better right now myself
I love their rebuttals, it’s a small sample size for Matthews but a truth with Laine.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
This is the most important game ever. There is nothing more important than embarassing the Leafs in front of a national audience. I want Byfuglien to put a saddle on Matthews and ride him around like a donkey. I will accept nothing less than a dominant victory and look forward to destroying the Leafs and their overrated hockey team

Hey Winnipegger -- I'd love to see the Jet's destroy the Leafs on national TV, but don't hold your breath on that one, it will be a close game.

The Leafs are not "overrated"-- they earned their record, and have tons of scoring punch. With the addition of Tavares who will bring some veteran leadership and scoring, they can score pretty much at will. They are somewhat of a scoring machine.

The Jets will have to play them the way St.Louis did, and shut down their scoring with tight checking, and keep their chances to the outside. The Leafs weakness is their defense and goal against, and the Jet's need to exploit this. I hope the Jet's come out smoking and pepper the Leafs net with rubber.

Where the Jets have the advantage is on defense, and in goal, and if the Jet's can play a full hard 60 minutes, you have to like the Jet's chances of winning. This should be a high scoring and exciting game. I would not take the Leafs lightly -- they are definitely a "contender", and their doing it without Nylander who's a great scorer. I believe he got around 30 gals last year.

I think the Jets win this one, in a tough 1 goal game --like 5-4.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
No.

At the tail end of the interview he repeats one last time "We are not struggling, we're living the daily life in the NHL right now"

Best thing many fans can do is listen to interviews...all the way thru! Much more to learn listening to those directly involved with the team answering direct questions as opposed to listening to a call in show that feels the need to fuel listenership via controversy & false narratives.

Sound bite knowledge is a huge problem in all areas of life these days...

Few have the discipline to take the time to engage fully in understanding things that are supposedly important to them....

And many of the Media these days are a bunch of Celebs with entitlement to be "right", they are not professional journalists with a balanced agenda...

Many try to stir up dirt to write or try to script a narrative to sell their ideas...their agenda...

Hockey is entertainment and the Media's interference is like bad Ref'ing...

It just turns us fans for the game off...

Good on Maurice for striking back...

Thanks for pointing these issues out Fonz'... :thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad