Pre-Game Talk: Jets vs Islanders (Jan-27)

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
We should really try to completely shut down teams like the Islanders, especially their top line.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I would really like to get our SA/60 down as Pavs is facing 4th most in the league:
Lehtonen 39.4 SA, 0.942%
Holtby 35.9 SA, 0.863%
Theodore 34.5 SA, 0.939%
Pavelec 32.8 SA, 0.932%
Miller 32.8 SA, 0.952%

...but part of that may be from facing tough teams up front...
We still haven't faced some of the weaker teams like FLA and such

One thing that may slightly inflate those numbers, maybe by around 4-5 shots a game, is how many teams take shots on Pavelec even from the neutral zone.

It may be because Pavelec doesn't really have the best puck control and playing abilities, but it seems like quite a few teams' gameplans are to dump it straight at Pavelec instead of into a corner.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I see no reason to go with Montoya. Pavs is just beginning to find his game (and his confidence) and it's still early in the year. You sit him when you see him get tired or struggle - neither is the case right now. It has nothing to do with getting your backup the starts.

I'm really impressed with the way Noel has the team playing. They seem more confident and creative with the puck than they ever were last year - Little's setup of Ladd last night, Kane's newfound playmaking ability - and their defensive coverage is certainly less "scrambly". This game will be a big test though to see if they play down to the opposition or repeat their effort from last night against the Pens. Call me an optimist but I see them blowing the Isles out, 5-1.

This is the catch 22 and something that I am sure is paining Noel. Is Pavelec tired? (He has played 4 games this week). Will Montoya step up against his old team? At some point you have to get your backup some game action or you are pretty much damning yourself to start one guy all year, and then you end up with a burnt out goalie heading into the playoffs. As much as you want to keep Pavelec on a roll, you need to allow Montoya the opportunity to play, feel a part of the team and get some in game shots. If we just roll with Pavs and heaven forbid he gets hurt, we could have shot ourselves in the foot.

I think you go with Montoya. The guys will want to help him beat his old team, you can count on that.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I think if the jets keep their system and not get drawn out...they'll steamroll the Isles.

I'm thinking 6-2, if the Jets play smart and stick to the system.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This is a huge test for us. The Islanders don't carry the same 'excitement factor', if you will like Boston, Washington or Pittsburgh, so as much as we were up and ready for those games, it's going to be a big test for us to be up and approach this Islanders team with the same approach, intensity and focus. I hope to see us come to play here much in the same way we have our last 3 games. The bar has been set, it's time to see how we handle the 'lesser' teams of the league, no disrespect intended.

*FYI I still consider us a 'lesser' team. Just saying whether you're a good or bad or mediocre team, in most cases you always get up to play the leagues best teams.

This season has been pretty awesome so far. All the Jets have done since laying that stinky egg in the opener is prove that they are different from last years team: Able to overcome playing on the road, back to backs, and playing teams that usually pick us apart.

Tomorrow presents yet another big litmus test for this group: Playing a 'lesser' team after a big emotional win. Young, inexperienced, and not so great teams typically have a big letdown after winning a big game (see Maple Leafs). I have a feeling that these guys are hell bent and determined to buck all the old trends. We have a much stronger lineup than last year, and I think the players are starting to shake off the ATL attitude (no offense).

I am going to be super bold and predict Al Montoya starts against his old team and we win 3-0

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I was thinking about this last night. I was, as I know we all were, over the moon when we got this team. So excited that we would have an NHL team to truly call our own. Watching them play, seeing the story lines, it was all fantastic.

However, something wasn't quite the same as the original Jets. I didn't feel as connected to them, as excited as I was to watch and follow.

After the game last night it was like I had an awakening. I realized that I now love this team as much as I loved the original Jets. That says a lot, since the last time I loved a Winnipeg Jets team I was a youngster who constantly drew pictures, worked on lineups, kept stats, wrote synopis' on games afterwards. Keep in mind this was all before computers. I used the free Jets calendars I got from Shoppers Drug Mart to scribble notes, playoff percentages, scores. I still have these things to this day.

I love this team more than I ever loved the Oilers in the Jets absence. As fun as it was watching the 06 Cup run, it's nothing to the way this team makes me feel. There is nothing that comes close to my Winnipeg Jets.

I know this was lame, hokey and off-topic, but I felt I had to share it with others who hopefully get what I'm saying.

GO JETS GO!

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
As has been stated, this is a big game. They have proved that they can play with the big guys, now we're up against a worse team on paper. Can the players keep up the intensity?

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
I was thinking about this last night. I was, as I know we all were, over the moon when we got this team. So excited that we would have an NHL team to truly call our own. Watching them play, seeing the story lines, it was all fantastic.

However, something wasn't quite the same as the original Jets. I didn't feel as connected to them, as excited as I was to watch and follow.

After the game last night it was like I had an awakening. I realized that I now love this team as much as I loved the original Jets. That says a lot, since the last time I loved a Winnipeg Jets team I was a youngster who constantly drew pictures, worked on lineups, kept stats, wrote synopis' on games afterwards. Keep in mind this was all before computers. I used the free Jets calendars I got from Shoppers Drug Mart to scribble notes, playoff percentages, scores. I still have these things to this day.

I love this team more than I ever loved the Oilers in the Jets absence. As fun as it was watching the 06 Cup run, it's nothing to the way this team makes me feel. There is nothing that comes close to my Winnipeg Jets.

I know this was lame, hokey and off-topic, but I felt I had to share it with others who hopefully get what I'm saying.

GO JETS GO!

I wasnt old enough to really appreciate the Jets like you guys but i will say i agree 100% that this year i feel a lot closer to the team and am starting to really feell like our home town Winnipeg Jets.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
I have a bad feeling about this.
Atrapitis.gif

I agree with the sentiment about goaltender selection. That's a tough call at this point of the season.

Last edited:

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
We'll I think were in trouble this game, teams that are surprising , seem to only surprise us even more so, so now we know about the surprising NYI's, we shouldn't be surprised; with that now said we're gonna be surprised even more, so it's no surprise anymore... I guess... uhm... The only way we won't be surprised by the NYI's play is if in the pre game warm-up they roll out a cake and they all jump out of it and yell " supplies! ". Then we have a chance to not be surprised by how well they're playing this year.

Carry on.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
We'll I think were in trouble this game, teams that are surprising , seem to only surprise us even more so, so now we know about the surprising NYI's, we shouldn't be surprised; with that now said we're gonna be surprised even more, so it's no surprise anymore... I guess... uhm... The only way we won't be surprised by the NYI's play is if in the pre game warm-up they roll out a cake and they all jump out of it and yell " supplies! ". Then we have a chance to not be surprised by how well they're playing this year.

Carry on.

I'm not surprised you feel that way :sarcasm:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

GO JETS GO!

I get it man. I went to my first Jets game for my 7th B-day in the old WHA days when my favorite player was Bobby Hull. Over the years I went to as many games as possible, and as teenager a buddy and I found a way to sneak into games. When we lost them I was never able to embrace another team. Now I've got ST and love watching this team evolve. I'll be there tomorrow, and if we hammer the Islanders just maybe I'll start believing we are playoff bound this year.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
We win this, and we are right in the hunt for the playoffs. No pressure :sarcasm:

Hope for a TB loss and we win -- the SOUTHEAST DIVISION is ours!

(Yes thats a bit in advance, but hey, have to dream)

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Hope Admiral Akbar makes it into the new Star Wars films.

ITS A TRAP!!!!

I have a bad feeling about this.
Atrapitis.gif

I agree with the sentiment about goaltender selection. That's a tough call at this point of the season.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
I just really want a "Winnipeg Jets - SouthEast division Champions" banner @ the MTS before we move divisions under re-alignment...decades from now, people will ask: "WTF??!!!"

If we're in a good place when Bogo gets back and stay healthy it is not outside the realm of possibilities

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
That'd be sweet.

I just really want a "Winnipeg Jets - SouthEast division Champions" banner @ the MTS before we move divisions under re-alignment...decades from now, people will ask: "WTF??!!!"

Florida and Washington are both terri-bad...
I think Washington may bounce back a bit mid way once they get used to the new system but not enough to contend for that.

I think TBL are overperforming, they are being out-chanced worse than anyone that's not named Florida. Stamkos will keep them in contention though but I have no faith in Lindback.

Carolina is underperforming for the exact opposite reasons as TBL. They are outchancing more than anyone not named STL. I think their lack of bottom6 will start to haunt them as the season goes and injuries occur.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Its a good night -

FLA loses
Laughs lose
and for admitted personal bias, PHX loses too. :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Other obvious observation: wow is that Yakupov a fast stick handler. So much energy.

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006

Kinda like how the Atlanta Braves have 5 NL West pennants... I saw one of their championship t-shirts and assumed it was a misprint, cuz if Atlanta's considered west, then what city would be considered east?

Gungagalunga

Dec 31, 2012
Under a rock
First, I like Al Montoya. I've always liked him, in fact.

Now, this is a horrible coaching call. You don't take a red hot goaltender out of the line-up on a "must win" game in a labor shortened season. This is just ridiculous. It's decisions like this that will keep us out of the playoffs. Again, I have absolutely nothing against Montoya, but this is not the time nor place to slot him in the starting lineup.

Pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia