GDT: Jets vs Flames September 11 6:00pm CT - Penticton SOEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I'm not basing it on one game, but I see Comrie as having more tools. He's also 2 years younger.

Meh, to each their own. At the end of the day, their job is to stop pucks, and Hellebuyck is better than any other goalie prospect in the league at that job right now.

Don't get me wrong, Comrie is a fantastic goalie prospect. Top 10 in the world. Hellebuyck is just better.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Ehlers and Petan split up for at least half of the next game. See how they can fare. I watched the Edmonton - Van game and Vancouver's squad playsa heavy game so it should be fun to see how Lemi gets involved with their bigger guys.

Lemi - Olsen - Ehlers
would be a fun line to see in action. Lot's of speed with a bit of size and grit.

I kind of want to see how some of our centers like Petan and Harkins can handle the wing too.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Meh, to each their own. At the end of the day, their job is to stop pucks, and Hellebuyck is better than any other goalie prospect in the league at that job right now.

Don't get me wrong, Comrie is a fantastic goalie prospect. Top 10 in the world. Hellebuyck is just better.

Fair enough, I stand by my projection but i respect your opinion on the matter.

I'm quite happy to have both in the system.

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011
Jets roster average age: 20.1
Flames roster average age: 20.5

Flames roster is older, but not significantly so. One game is a small sample size - first period by the young-Jets was crap, but I liked the feistiness of Lemieux, and the play in the second and third was much better. They started to pull together as a team.

I'm more interested in watching the individuals at this stage - the results are meaningless, even though it'd be fun to garner wins.

IMHO, of course.

During the broadcast last night it was mentioned Calgary had many experienced 2-3 year professionals playing the game compared to the Jets. And that the pros play a more poised and polished game. That seemed to be the case last night.

I counted 9 pros to 2 for Calgary.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
During the broadcast last night it was mentioned Calgary had many experienced 2-3 year professionals playing the game compared to the Jets. And that the pros play a more poised and polished game. That seemed to be the case last night.

I counted 9 pros to 2 for Calgary.

Besides Olsen and Kosmachuk, Harstad, Stoykewych and Morrissey have all played AHL games.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Everybody keeps saying they got better as the game progressed. I only saw the 3rd period and it was gawdawful. Glad I missed the first 2.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Ehlers and Petan split up for at least half of the next game. See how they can fare. I watched the Edmonton - Van game and Vancouver's squad playsa heavy game so it should be fun to see how Lemi gets involved with their bigger guys.

Lemi - Olsen - Ehlers
would be a fun line to see in action. Lot's of speed with a bit of size and grit.

I kind of want to see how some of our centers like Petan and Harkins can handle the wing too.

I'd actually really like to see:
Petan Harkins Ehlers and
Lemieux Olsen Spacek

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Everybody keeps saying they got better as the game progressed. I only saw the 3rd period and it was gawdawful. Glad I missed the first 2.

I watched a period of Edmonton Van and I thought it sucked.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I watched a period of Edmonton Van and I thought it sucked.

Can't expect too much. First game. A bunch of players thrown together. No practice. Travel etc. Nevertheless the baby Jets were seriously bad. Both goalies were very good in the 3rd.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
Can't expect too much. First game. A bunch of players thrown together. No practice. Travel etc. Nevertheless the baby Jets were seriously bad. Both goalies were very good in the 3rd.

I didn't think they were seriously bad. I thought Morrissey was trying to play it (too) safe and show a mature defensive game. For the most part he was successful with that. We know he has the offensive instincts to wow us so maybe he was being over cautious or over thinking it a bit. Ehlers and Petan showed tremendous vision and skill, but things just weren't clicking. The more they played, the better things came together. De Leo looked great, if Copp had connected on those chances we'd all be VERY happy today. Copp the new James Wright?:sarcasm: Olsen was a pleasant surprise. Harkins, and Comrie were great. Outside of those two goals, Helebuyuck looked good... a little bit of rust, a little bit of bad luck. I thought Kostalek was steady if not spectacular, as was Nogier. Blomqvist and Lodge showed some flashes and some struggles as to be expected from project players. I think where the team really struggled was when Stoykewych, Harstad, and Karlstrom were on the ice. Those guys were awful, they couldn't get out of the d-zone and that makes it really hard for the offense to get going. If anything, this game really emphasised the need to get some high end defensive prospects in the system. I really wish Niku could have participated.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I didn't think they were seriously bad. I thought Morrissey was trying to play it (too) safe and show a mature defensive game. For the most part he was successful with that. We know he has the offensive instincts to wow us so maybe he was being over cautious or over thinking it a bit. Ehlers and Petan showed tremendous vision and skill, but things just weren't clicking. The more they played, the better things came together. De Leo looked great, if Copp had connected on those chances we'd all be VERY happy today. Copp the new James Wright?:sarcasm: Olsen was a pleasant surprise. Harkins, and Comrie were great. Outside of those two goals, Helebuyuck looked good... a little bit of rust, a little bit of bad luck. I thought Kostalek was steady if not spectacular, as was Nogier. Blomqvist and Lodge showed some flashes and some struggles as to be expected from project players. I think where the team really struggled was when Stoykewych, Harstad, and Karlstrom were on the ice. Those guys were awful, they couldn't get out of the d-zone and that makes it really hard for the offense to get going. If anything, this game really emphasised the need to get some high end defensive prospects in the system. I really wish Niku could have participated.

Mostly, yeah. Most of the positivesyou mention were only flashes though. Comrie was good. Period. I noticed Kostalek and Nogier positively. Harkins too but he needs to work on his skating, reminded me of Scheifele 2 years ago.

I didn't like Ehlers somewhat the same way I didn't like him last TC. He needs to learn to play as one of a team, use his linemates more. He can't be a one man show in the NHL. The talent is there and he is smart. He'll figure it out but he didn't show it yesterday. Petan may be just the opposite. He needs to assert himself a little more and not always look for the pass.

As a team? Well it was only 1 game and part of a meaningless tournament at that but it was bad.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Couldn't agree more, although I love our picks from this years draft. We wasted a lot of chances to stock up the back end of the cupboard. Outside of JoMo & Kostalek and possibly Nogier & Niku we are pretty light back there.
I'm hoping this next draft we at least take one defencemen in the first 2 rounds and at least 2 or 3 in the whole draft.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm still not sold on Blomqvist at all. Watched far to much of him in junior. He just doesn't have a very high hockey sense and his vision is pretty bad. His defensive play leaves a lot to be desired as well. He has a long way to go before I'd even consider him to play in the Moose top 6 yet.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
Mostly, yeah. Most of the positivesyou mention were only flashes though. Comrie was good. Period. I noticed Kostalek and Nogier positively. Harkins too but he needs to work on his skating, reminded me of Scheifele 2 years ago.

I didn't like Ehlers somewhat the same way I didn't like him last TC. He needs to learn to play as one of a team, use his linemates more. He can't be a one man show in the NHL. The talent is there and he is smart. He'll figure it out but he didn't show it yesterday. Petan may be just the opposite. He needs to assert himself a little more and not always look for the pass.

As a team? Well it was only 1 game and part of a meaningless tournament at that but it was bad.

You're always going to see flashes, both good and bad with prospects. They all have holes in their game. Part of the enjoyment is watching how they develop over time. The best players do it quicker and have fewer flaws.

Ehlers has always been "the guy". He's used to putting teams on his back. I don't think he's selfish or a bad teammate. It's another argument for getting him playing with the Jets ASAP.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
Couldn't agree more, although I love our picks from this years draft. We wasted a lot of chances to stock up the back end of the cupboard. Outside of JoMo & Kostalek and possibly Nogier & Niku we are pretty light back there.
I'm hoping this next draft we at least take one defencemen in the first 2 rounds and at least 2 or 3 in the whole draft.

I hope the Jets keep taking the BPA. They'll certainly have to make some trades in the future to fill the holes.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
I'm still not sold on Blomqvist at all. Watched far to much of him in junior. He just doesn't have a very high hockey sense and his vision is pretty bad. His defensive play leaves a lot to be desired as well. He has a long way to go before I'd even consider him to play in the Moose top 6 yet.

You've definitely seen him more than I, but I don't think he lacks in hockey IQ. He's certainly weak defensively and needs more quickness to his game. Blomqvist is years away, but there's certainly some talent there. I think he's shown a slow, but steady improvement to his game. I agree though, he's not yet top 6 in the AHL.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I'd actually really like to see:
Petan Harkins Ehlers and
Lemieux Olsen Spacek

At practice thursday they had Deleo double shifting in the 5 on 5 drill playing center between Fronk & O'Donnell. Wouldn't surprise me to see that combo tomorrow.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You're always going to see flashes, both good and bad with prospects. They all have holes in their game. Part of the enjoyment is watching how they develop over time. The best players do it quicker and have fewer flaws.

Ehlers has always been "the guy". He's used to putting teams on his back. I don't think he's selfish or a bad teammate. It's another argument for getting him playing with the Jets ASAP.

That's an argument that goes both ways. "He isn't ready!' 'He isn't being developed properly in Halifax!' I never said he was selfish or a bad teammate.

We are supposed to be counting on some of these prospects to play regularly in the NHL this year. What we saw yesterday wasn't the holes in their games. It was more about rust and lack of team play. I'm not passing judgement on our prospect pool. I'm saying that in that one game they were seriously bad. If people are trying to argue that they were not that bad I don't know what they were watching.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
At practice thursday they had Deleo double shifting in the 5 on 5 drill playing center between Fronk & O'Donnell. Wouldn't surprise me to see that combo tomorrow.

De Leo looked great on the wing so interesting to see how he does at centre. Fronk will be interesting to watch. Hopefully he can show something.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
That's an argument that goes both ways. "He isn't ready!' 'He isn't being developed properly in Halifax!' I never said he was selfish or a bad teammate.

We are supposed to be counting on some of these prospects to play regularly in the NHL this year. What we saw yesterday wasn't the holes in their games. It was more about rust and lack of team play. I'm not passing judgement on our prospect pool. I'm saying that in that one game they were seriously bad. If people are trying to argue that they were not that bad I don't know what they were watching.

I wasn't suggesting you were.

I think we need to focus on individuals more so than the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad