GDT: Jets vs Flames September 11 6:00pm CT - Penticton SOEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Meh, to each their own. At the end of the day, their job is to stop pucks, and Hellebuyck is better than any other goalie prospect in the league at that job right now.

Don't get me wrong, Comrie is a fantastic goalie prospect. Top 10 in the world. Hellebuyck is just better.

Yup. 100% If there is just one thing to be excited about as a Jets fan...this is it. Goaltending!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I hope the Jets keep taking the BPA. They'll certainly have to make some trades in the future to fill the holes.

The way I see it in a draft is you have 4 lists. 1 Master list for All Players, 1 for Forwards, 1 For Defencemen and 1 for Goalies. Sometimes an organizational need within one of the 3 categories can trump the all player list. There is no promise we will be able to get a trade doneever. There will however always be one of those 3 categories on the draft board available. If it comes to our pick and there is a forward two spots ahead of a defencemen on the master list and we take the damn forward again :rant: on the flip side. If the defencemen crop is terrible obviously. But there were plenty of good defencemen ahead of many of our picks last draft.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You've definitely seen him more than I, but I don't think he lacks in hockey IQ. He's certainly weak defensively and needs more quickness to his game. Blomqvist is years away, but there's certainly some talent there. I think he's shown a slow, but steady improvement to his game. I agree though, he's not yet top 6 in the AHL.

Oh I agree he has a decent amount of potential. It's a long way off though. I paid especially close attention to him during his time in junior knowing he is a Jets prospect. Maybe to much attention....
He has trouble making good passes when under pressure. He reads the play a step behind. He has trouble breaking out. He doesn't use his body as much as he could. His defensive instincts really just aren't there. He has an okay shot and his skating is pretty average. He has a long road ahead of him but he does have potential, if not through skill than just through his height. I really feel like he won't make the NHL at this point though. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
McCambridge said on the Jets TV interview that Fronk would be in for Spacek and Serville would be in for Stoykewych tomorrow.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The way I see it in a draft is you have 4 lists. 1 Master list for All Players, 1 for Forwards, 1 For Defencemen and 1 for Goalies. Sometimes an organizational need within one of the 3 categories can trump the all player list. There is no promise we will be able to get a trade doneever. There will however always be one of those 3 categories on the draft board available. If it comes to our pick and there is a forward two spots ahead of a defencemen on the master list and we take the damn forward again :rant: on the flip side. If the defencemen crop is terrible obviously. But there were plenty of good defencemen ahead of many of our picks last draft.

Connor at 17 was a no-brainer. Harkins at 47 was the same. Roslovic at 25? Should have taken Larsson. Not that Roslovic doesn't look good but he wasn't a player who should have gone sooner and he doesn't fill a particular need.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Connor at 17 was a no-brainer. Harkins at 47 was the same. Roslovic at 25? Should have taken Larsson. Not that Roslovic doesn't look good but he wasn't a player who should have gone sooner and he doesn't fill a particular need.

I disagree. Roslovic was one of my favorites for the late first round, I think he's going to be legit. Just my opinion.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb

I think they've shown that it doesn't work that way. They will have to make some trades at some point. Even with a deep prospect pool, there's always gaps that need to be filled from outside.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I disagree. Roslovic was one of my favorites for the late first round, I think he's going to be legit. Just my opinion.

I agree. Did you read my post? He is perfectly good value at 25. So is Larsson. We need LD prospects far more than we need Fs. Nowhere did I even hint that Larsson is better than Roslovic but Roslovic is no better than Larsson either. The other picks I mentioned were bargains where we got them. Roslovic was just normal value for where he was taken. Always take BPA. All things being equal (as in this case) take the one you are most in need of.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I realise it was only 1 pre season prospect game ... but after watching our defence , please Chevy don't trade Buff !!! Find a way to sign him , by the way watched the game on my PS3 you tube app and it was great , HI DEF full 60 inch , just like TSN Jets pretty much .

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I realise it was only 1 pre season prospect game ... but after watching our defence , please Chevy don't trade Buff !!! Find a way to sign him , by the way watched the game on my PS3 you tube app and it was great , HI DEF full 60 inch , just like TSN Jets pretty much .

I don't know if I was thinking exactly that, but it does become clear there is a big gap between top players in their prime and top prospects. Of course there is also a big gap between top players in their prime and older fading players (Slater for example). Navigating between is not necessarily an easy thing to do in a world of guaranteed contracts and depressed cap growth. I'd agree about re-signing Buff but to a reasonable length term. I'd rather have prospects promoted before their time than paying a "Jim Slater" $8 M per year.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
It's definitely noticeable we're lacking in talent for this tournament in the defence department..I was hoping just being older that those college guys would play well but they really just were not good..

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's definitely noticeable we're lacking in talent for this tournament in the defence department..I was hoping just being older that those college guys would play well but they really just were not good..

That was the first game in quite a while outside the NCAA for them. They haven't been able to play in this event before. I'm hoping for better today. There is a reason they are on AHL not NHL contracts though.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I'm not basing it on one game, but I see Comrie as having more tools. He's also 2 years younger.

To me, Comrie is a tiny bit more athletic and has a higher IQ than Helle. He will never have the size but he's got more room for improvement with his technique. Helle's technique is surprisingly mature and refined. If Comrie can get to that level, he will be the better goalie. That's easier said than done, but Comrie is young and smart and he's is on a great path.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

If these games actually meant something, McCambridge would pair Morrissey with Kostalek and ride them for 30 monutes a game with all the tough matchups.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Jets roster average age: 20.1
Flames roster average age: 20.5

Flames roster is older, but not significantly so. One game is a small sample size - first period by the young-Jets was crap, but I liked the feistiness of Lemieux, and the play in the second and third was much better. They started to pull together as a team.

I'm more interested in watching the individuals at this stage - the results are meaningless, even though it'd be fun to garner wins.

IMHO, of course.

Games in NA pro leagues:
Kulak 80
Agostino 75
Poirier 66
Arnold 62
van Brabant 58
Sieloff 50
Culkin 37
Bennett 12
Klimchuk 4

total 444

Kosmachuk 70
Olsen 60
Morrissey 28
Stoykewych 6
Harstad 5
Copp 1
Lodge 1

total 171

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Games in NA pro leagues:
Kulak 80
Agostino 75
Poirier 66
Arnold 62
van Brabant 58
Sieloff 50
Culkin 37
Bennett 12
Klimchuk 4

total 444

Kosmachuk 70
Olsen 60
Morrissey 28
Stoykewych 6
Harstad 5
Copp 1
Lodge 1

total 171

I believe less than 100 pro games is the general criteria to play in the tourney.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Games in NA pro leagues:
Kulak 80
Agostino 75
Poirier 66
Arnold 62
van Brabant 58
Sieloff 50
Culkin 37
Bennett 12
Klimchuk 4

total 444

Kosmachuk 70
Olsen 60
Morrissey 28
Stoykewych 6
Harstad 5
Copp 1
Lodge 1

total 171

Which answers a question I didn't respond to. ;)

Quite a bit more pro experience, for sure.

Let's continue in today's GDT: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1951809

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad