Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Joona Luoto to 3 year ELC

ythelastman82

Apr 5, 2014
Like the kid's attitude and willingness to play in the AHL and develop.

Also...
Did the Jets really hire Trouba's brother?

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Joona Luoto is one of my favourite players, but don't expect too much of him on NHL level

He is a hard working guy who has guts to try some 1-on-1 to occasionally generate decent scoring opportunity out of nothing.

Despite his upside on offensive side, he has never really been a high scoring forward on his adult career.

I guess you could compare his play on Tappara to Armia's play on the Jets.

(Yes, Luoto and Laine have both played on Tappara, Tappara juniors and on LeKi, a small local team. They might have been on the same Tappara junior teams together as Luoto is year older than Laine, while Laine played always with older guys.)

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
I think Winnipeg could find hundreds of this kind of players in NA so the connection to Laine has to really mean something. Adding to this that I don´t know that much about this player other than the reading i did last 15 minutes ;)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Wow. He benched Enstrom in 1 PO game - at a time when we were desperately in need of goals in an elimination game - after years of playing him at every opportunity. Yup, that proves he hates Euros alright. Niku has shown lots of potential, but he is still weak in his own end. Maurice played him every time there was an opportunity on the right side. He played lesser players on the left, not Niku's side.

Mau may or may not have an aversion to Euro players. You will have to come up with a lot better evidence than that to make a case.

I think any sort of lazy investigation would find that to be untrue, along with the Maurice hates/ doesn't play youngsters.

The issue here is people can't discern between Maurice hating a group of players, and Maurice having different qualities that he is looking for in on ice performance. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, I'm just saying.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
The guy benched Enstrom in the bloody WSF last year and steadfastly refuses to play Niku over far inferior players. And that doesn't even touch on his treatment of Ehlers. The guy clearly has an aversion. Unless of course they're grinders. His love of grinders outweighs his hate of Euros.

Explains why he spent a full season coaching in Russia & why he coached Team Europe at the World Cup...

Reactions: Jet

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think any sort of lazy investigation would find that to be untrue, along with the Maurice hates/ doesn't play youngsters.

The issue here is people can't discern between Maurice hating a group of players, and Maurice having different qualities that he is looking for in on ice performance. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, I'm just saying.

Sometimes it doesn't even seem to be an easily identifiable type that he favours, but he picks favourites for whatever reason and gives them everything.

If the rumours that we have all heard turn out not to be the cause of the malaise in the room, then I think it will be Mau's favouring of some players over others that is at the bottom of the trouble.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Signed him to appease Laine I guess :laugh:
Don't know anything about this guy though, is he Moose, PB, or active roster?
Seems like lots of Finns have signed in the league recently

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
The guy benched Enstrom in the bloody WSF last year and steadfastly refuses to play Niku over far inferior players. And that doesn't even touch on his treatment of Ehlers. The guy clearly has an aversion. Unless of course they're grinders. His love of grinders outweighs his hate of Euros.

I don't believe this for a second and I want Maurice fired. He just likes players that look busy :laugh: Tanev, Connor, Wheeler always look like they are hustling even the times they accomplish nothing except waste energy. I think PoMo is just stuck in his set ways and Ehlers doesn't fit the type of player he wants.

Excited to see what Luoto does in training camp. While I'm sure he is a good player in his own right, it's a strong signal Chevy is sending to Laine.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
The guy clearly likes to coach. What’s he going to say? “Sorry, I prefer North American players to Europeans so I’ll pass”
Or something like "sorry, I'm looking for a job in North America, so I'll pass."

But since he doesn't actually hate Euros, he took the job. Not to mention, it's not like coaching at the World Cup was while he was between gigs. He could've said anything if he wasn't interested.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
He and Vesalainen were on the 2017 Finland World Junior team together, I wonder if they spent any time on the same line. Both are listed as RW/LW's on the roster.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't believe this for a second and I want Maurice fired. He just likes players that look busy :laugh: Tanev, Connor, Wheeler always look like they are hustling even the times they accomplish nothing except waste energy. I think PoMo is just stuck in his set ways and Ehlers doesn't fit the type of player he wants.

Excited to see what Luoto does in training camp. While I'm sure he is a good player in his own right, it's a strong signal Chevy is sending to Laine.

91 point Wheeler accomplishes nothing. Um, ok

Ehlers should try scoring a goal in the playoffs, that would be a start. Don't get me wrong, I love Ehlers potential but he has hit a wall lately.

If you don't think that Connor or Tanev are central to the Jets success, then I don't know what to tell you.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Tanev, Connor, Wheeler always look like they are hustling even the times they accomplish nothing except waste energy. I think PoMo is just stuck in his set ways and Ehlers doesn't fit the type of player he wants.
91 point Wheeler accomplishes nothing. Um, ok

Ehlers should try scoring a goal in the playoffs, that would be a start. Don't get me wrong, I love Ehlers potential but he has hit a wall lately.

If you don't think that Connor or Tanev are central to the Jets success, then I don't know what to tell you.

Re-read what I wrote, please. I never said Wheeler accomplishes nothing. I said at times all three of those players wastes unnecessary energy and I very much believe that.
Personally I think last season's Ehlers took the biggest step forward out of any forward not named Copp. Might not have shown up in pts but I think him and Little were the only top 6 players doing anything defensively.

I think Connor and Tanev will be part of the reason the team has success but I don't think any of them are currently central to the success. That could change with Connor if he learns to utilize his speed and drive play.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Re-read what I wrote, please. I never said Wheeler accomplishes nothing. I said at times all three of those players wastes unnecessary energy and I very much believe that.
Personally I think last season's Ehlers took the biggest step forward out of any forward not named Copp. Might not have shown up in pts but I think him and Little were the only top 6 players doing anything defensively.

I think Connor and Tanev will be part of the reason the team has success but I don't think any of them are currently central to the success. That could change with Connor if he learns to utilize his speed and drive play.
I know we like to be predictive in assessing players but at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding. Wheeler, Connor and Tanev all perform very well based on the roles they are playing and situations they are put in.

I really hope that Ehlers takes a big step this year (and Laine) but until they do, it's only potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad