Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Johnny Kovacevic to ELC.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Looking over the past few seasons Gostisbehere is basically Myers, when all is said and done...

Even had the same crazy rookie season all be it more abbreviated and at a slightly older age. Four seasons for Ghost so far in two he has had high point totals and in the other two he has had more modest raw production.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
He is big and is a very good skater in all 4 directions. He is smart positionally in all zones and moves the puck real well. He also has a good shot from the point.

Comparable style might be a guy like Brodie. Don't see the same upside but if all goes well for Kovacevik I think he can be a good all around 3/4 dmen.
Well that's exciting!

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I remember when he was drafted, he was SO excited that he was drafted by the Jets. I hope he makes the big team eventually! (And I hope we don't hate him :laugh:)

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Finally listened to his TSN interview after he was drafted (better late than never!)

Being of Serbian decent, I'll have to keep my eyes on him to see if he can make the Jets; if so, I have my next Jersey selected :laugh:

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I am quite fine overpaying Trouba vs overpaying a 4/5 dmen like we did with Kuli.

I think they believed Kulikov would have had better results. I doubt it was Chevy's intention to have him play bottom pairing minutes. No NHL GM is going to deliberately overpay a 4/5 defensemen. The Jets needed help at LD & bet on Kulikov.

Although the organization (and everyone in the NHL) were aware of his back issue following his collision with an open gate, the Jets gambled that he'd immediately recover and return to form.

As memory serves he came along with Scheifele's blessing as the two has had spent a few summers training together and then Wheeler did the same in Florida the year prior to the Jets acquiring him. When first acquired our captaincy lauded the signing in interviews.

I'm pretty sure everyone reading this appreciates Dimitri's game when he's healthy. There's a lot to like. He's just a lot more banged up that many realize. Maurice was just talking yesterday that Kulikov has "spent the past 3 weeks playing through a significant injury."

After this summers RFA signings, there will be little cap space left to apply to UFA defensemen. It may not feel like it at present, but Myers & Kulikov are luxuries. Quite soon the 4-7 spaces will be filled with players making $1 million or less. The only way the Jets will continue their success is Morrissey's continued progression into an all-star, Buff using anti-aging cream, rolling 7's with Niku & convincing Trouba to sign.

What does overpaying Trouba look like? Clearly he's not accepting $6 million.

Is $8 million too much?

I guess Kovacevik's name should appear in this thread. I'd suggest he'll eventually fill one of 4-7 spaces I alluded to earlier, but at best he's a full season away from even this.

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
As memory serves he came along with Scheifele's blessing as the two has had spent a few summers training together and then Wheeler did the same in Florida the year prior to the Jets acquiring him. When first acquired our captaincy lauded the signing in interviews.

Well then, as long as Scheif and Wheeler think highly of someone's defensive skills... :sarcasm:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think they believed Kulikov would have had better results. I doubt it was Chevy's intention to have him play bottom pairing minutes. No NHL GM is going to deliberately overpay a 4/5 defensemen. The Jets needed help at LD & bet on Kulikov.

Although the organization (and everyone in the NHL) were aware of his back issue following his collision with an open gate, the Jets gambled that he'd immediately recover and return to form.

I'm pretty sure everyone reading this appreciates Dimitri's game when he's healthy. There's a lot to like. He's just a lot more banged up that many realize. Maurice was just talking yesterday that Kulikov has "spent the past 3 weeks playing through a significant injury."

After this summers RFA signings, there will be little cap space left to apply to UFA defensemen. It may not feel like it at present, but Myers & Kulikov are luxuries. Quite soon the 4-7 spaces will be filled with players making $1 million or less. The only way the Jets will continue their success is Morrissey's continued progression into an all-star, Buff using anti-aging cream, rolling 7's with Niku & convincing Trouba to sign.

What does overpaying Trouba look like? Clearly he's not accepting $6 million.

Is $8 million too much?

I guess Kovacevik's name should appear in this thread. I'd suggest he'll eventually fill one of 4-7 spaces I alluded to earlier, but at best he's a full season away from even this.

Lets take a look at how our D corps cost will work out over the next few years if we overpay Trouba.

2018/19
Morrissey$3,150,000Trouba$5,500,000
Chiarot$1,400,000Buff$7,600,000
Kulikov$4,333,333Myers$5,500,000
Morrow$1,000,000
$28,483,333
2019/20
Morrissey$3,150,000Trouba$8,000,000
Chiarot$2,000,000Buff$7,600,000
Kulikov$4,333,333Niku$916,666
Poolman$775,000
$26,774,999
2020/21
Morrissey$8,250,000Trouba$8,000,000
Chiarot$2,400,000Buff$7,600,000
Samberg$925,000Niku$916,666
Poolman$775,000
$28,866,666
2021/22
Samberg$925,000Niku$3,500,000
Chisholm$800,000Kovacevic$925,000
Poolman$900,000
$23,300,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The actual cost of our D corps is at its peak this year. This is because we have a steady progression of expiring bigger contracts, Myers this year, Kulikov next year, then Buff the year after. In $$$ it is slightly higher in '21 but it will be a lower % of cap.

We are overpaying both Trouba and Morrissey by a little in this scenario. Probably a year after their contracts kick in they will look about right. With the cost of our D corps either holding steady or dropping, we can afford both. Whatever we give Trouba, we need to plan on a little more to Morrissey. He is at least as good, and signing a year later it will be a similar % of cap at signing.

After that '22 season the cost starts to rise again as ELCs expire. But I am already projecting a long way into the future by NHL standards. The roster will probably look different than that when the future arrives. The point is that we should have enough cheap contracts after JMo and Trouba to make their big contracts affordable - and very much preferable to the alternatives of losing either or both.

I don't believe the question is, should we pay Trouba 8 or not. It is just will he accept 8 or not. I would pay a little more than that if necessary if money would get it done. Careful with the bonus money and the trade protection.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Lets take a look at how our D corps cost will work out over the next few years if we overpay Trouba.

2018/19
Morrissey$3,150,000Trouba$5,500,000
Chiarot$1,400,000Buff$7,600,000
Kulikov$4,333,333Myers$5,500,000
Morrow$1,000,000
$28,483,333
2019/20
Morrissey$3,150,000Trouba$8,000,000
Chiarot$2,000,000Buff$7,600,000
Kulikov$4,333,333Niku$916,666
Poolman$775,000
$26,774,999
2020/21
Chiarot$2,400,000Buff$7,600,000
Samberg$925,000Niku$916,666
Poolman$775,000
$28,866,666
2021/22
Samberg$925,000Niku$3,500,000
Chisholm$800,000Kovacevic$925,000
Poolman$900,000
$23,300,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The actual cost of our D corps is at its peak this year. This is because we have a steady progression of expiring bigger contracts, Myers this year, Kulikov next year, then Buff the year after. In $$$ it is slightly higher in '21 but it will be a lower % of cap.

We are overpaying both Trouba and Morrissey by a little in this scenario. Probably a year after their contracts kick in they will look about right. With the cost of our D corps either holding steady or dropping, we can afford both. Whatever we give Trouba, we need to plan on a little more to Morrissey. He is at least as good, and signing a year later it will be a similar % of cap at signing.

After that '22 season the cost starts to rise again as ELCs expire. But I am already projecting a long way into the future by NHL standards. The roster will probably look different than that when the future arrives. The point is that we should have enough cheap contracts after JMo and Trouba to make their big contracts affordable - and very much preferable to the alternatives of losing either or both.

I don't believe the question is, should we pay Trouba 8 or not. It is just will he accept 8 or not. I would pay a little more than that if necessary if money would get it done. Careful with the bonus money and the trade protection.

Long term the Jets can easily fit Trouba under the cap. The only real issue is next season where things are presently tight.

I doubt Chevy wanted this to be the case. He's quite likely done all he can to prepare for the 2019-2020 season, but the question mark surrounding Trouba has him in this situation.

I was of the opinion years ago that Myers expiring contract & Trouba last RFA year were no coincidence. I'd have assumed that Myers would be let go to free agency or traded once Trouba signed.

Conversely I thought that if Trouba wouldn't sign, he'd have already been traded & Myers begrudgingly signed to an extension in liau of #8.

I never thought it would literally come down to the wire in the manner it has.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Long term the Jets can easily fit Trouba under the cap. The only real issue is next season where things are presently tight.

I doubt Chevy wanted this to be the case. He's quite likely done all he can to prepare for the 2019-2020 season, but the question mark surrounding Trouba has him in this situation.

I was of the opinion years ago that Myers expiring contract & Trouba last RFA year were no coincidence. I'd have assumed that Myers would be let go to free agency or traded once Trouba signed.

Conversely I thought that if Trouba wouldn't sign, he'd have already been traded & Myers begrudgingly signed to an extension in liau of #8.

I never thought it would literally come down to the wire in the manner it has.

Even next year, the cost of the D is not the problem. It is down ~ 1.7 mil from this year. If we want to keep Hayes, Kuli would have to go 1 year earlier.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Even next year, the cost of the D is not the problem. It is down ~ 1.7 mil from this year. If we want to keep Hayes, Kuli would have to go 1 year earlier.

I wasn't referring to defence being the problem next season. It's the total cap.

Letting every UFA other than Tanev walk & signing the obvious RFA's puts the team over just over the cap & that's in a dream scenario where Trouba signs for $6, Connor signs for $5.4, Copp/Tanev agree to $1.6 each & we get Laine to a long term deal of $9.5. I'll also point out this capfriendly submission is only a 22 man roster.

I created recent comparables justifying most of these numbers earlier this month elsewhere. They are hardly written in stone, but should serve as a rough estimate.
Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 5.24.57 PM.png
There's clearly very little wiggle room. Perhaps Laine gets bridged for less, but the best value Chevy will get is committing long term & Trouba obviously wants more than $6 million.

To be clear, I don't see the above as next years roster. It's posted to call attention to the fact that the team as we know it, won't be around next year. My git feeling is at least one prominent roster member will be gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: RRenegade

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
And some of what's there is factually wrong, "his highest being this past season where he recorded 14 points in 34 games including four goals". He scored 18 pts in 31 games, 4 G + 14 A.

Artic Ice Hockey's quality and content has taken such a large decline in the last year or two. Unreadable at times

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad