Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Jason Jaffray

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure if this is thread worthy, but its interesting.
He's been playing with St.Johns this year already, so it doesn't strike me as a deal purely for our AHL team.
I wonder if Chevy and co. are going to give him a look at filling Mittens' spot. I don't think he's an NHL caliber player, but perhaps the Jets wanna give him another shot.

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=650606&navid=DL|WPG|home

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
It's a head scratcher for sure.
I was thinking about this last night actually, is it possible TNSE is TOO loyal?
I was thinking in the context of what would it take for Claude or Chevy to be fired? And I really couldn't come up with one. I can't recall a GM or coach of the moose being let go. I understand if the team doesn't improve in the next couple of years their hand could be forced, but I can't help but feel they're more likely to let a contract run out and not renew it, than terminate employment.
The signing of Jaffray furthers the idea that TNSE is extremely loyal, perhaps to a fault.

That said, there are far worse criticisms that could be levied against ownership groups. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next 5 years.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
how-about-no-bear-meme.jpg

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
This move screws over IceCaps as takes their most consistent scorer and screws the Jets' over as Jaffray is neither NHL quality nor does he fill a need... Either than 13th forward maybe until Miettinen is back but even then he could be easily upgraded through waiver pickup...
The one thing I see is it shouldn't be hard to make him clear waivers....

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
This move screws over IceCaps as takes their most consistent scorer and screws the Jets' over as Jaffray is neither NHL quality nor does he fill a need... Either than 13th forward maybe until Miettinen is back but even then he could be easily upgraded through waiver pickup...
The one thing I see is it shouldn't be hard to make him clear waivers....

yah, I don't like this. I was happy that he thu sfar hadn't been signed. I wish we could get over our love for him. he's a great ahl'r, he is not an nhl player, he's not young and getting better, he's never going to be an NHL'r why do we do this? All of our depth guys are as good/better and are young enough that they can realisticaly improve and become much better then him.

It seems exactly like a loyalty move and not a hockey move. Loyalty's nice, but loyalty to players who lose only perpetuates losing.

EDIT: should be noted that it really doesn't matter, he'll play 4th line 1-3 games.

Edit 2: It's also just been brought to my attention that we only ahve 40 contracts without him...so there isn't really negative repercussions, unless he draws in over certain players. if that happens i will reignite my mild disappointment and anger

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think people are getting too worked up over this.

We've already seen injuries to Mittens and Antro, Burmistrov is just returning from injury and we haven't even played minute one of the season yet. I think it's simply a matter of TNSE getting their ducks in a row in case a couple more forwards go down.

Jaffray is nothing more than a warm body that can fill in if we get desperate. When you are dealing with a 13 - 15 forward better the devil you know and Jaffray is at least well known to the org.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Noooooooooooooooooooo! Give the young guys more chances or bring the Stapler back.

In no way do I see this as a good thing for the team. If we can't fill a fourth-line spot due to injury at any point in the year with one of Cormier, Telegin, Machacek or even Klingberg or Gregoire, than I have even worse concerns about our depth than I already did.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Noooooooooooooooooooo! Give the young guys more chances or bring the Stapler back.

In no way do I see this as a good thing for the team. If we can't fill a fourth-line spot due to injury at any point in the year with one of Cormier, Telegin, Machacek or even Klingberg or Gregoire, than I have even worse concerns about our depth than I already did.

Exactly...
Sorry Jet but there's legit concerns when Cormier, Machacek, Maxwell, and Klingberg are already a line +1 that can fill a bottom six role better and the organization knows, and two are waiver free.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
You guys are getting all worked up and we don't even know the terms yet. Could it just be extension of his ahl contract?

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Stapleton is under contract in the KHL. They can't bring him back.

Also today the jets claimed Anthony Peluso off of waivers from the Blues. As far as I know is he's a gritty career minor league D-man. Not sure why they claimed him.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Exactly...
Sorry Jet but there's legit concerns when Cormier, Machacek, Maxwell, and Klingberg are already a line +1 that can fill a bottom six role better and the organization knows, and two are waiver free.

this is my only concern. provided he doesn't draw in over them, fine. But he's had enough cups of coffee to know what he can do, which isn't much.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I will be very unhappy if I see this minor leaguer back in wpg, he is nowhere near an nhler.

Agreed. It would have to be a dire situation on the injury front to have him back here. IMO, Jaffray is at best the 18th F on the Jets depth chart. That's being generous, I'd sooner have guys like Telegin and O'Dell here ahead of him.

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Not gonna lie I love this!

Its a great way to fill out the bottom of the roster. He is a player they know and trust so if he can come in and give you a hand full of games why not.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Not gonna lie I love this!

Its a great way to fill out the bottom of the roster. He is a player they know and trust so if he can come in and give you a hand full of games why not.

not any better then the numerous waiver excempt ahl players we already have, that's the concern.

A lot of us would rather see a young guy given a shot then an old guy "rewarded" for his loyalty.

Obviously it's small potato's, but if he draws in over our younger AHL guys it means at least one of two things: our ahl depth is atrocious and not even worth resigning. Or the club will make decisions(at least sometimes) based on some weird principal that doesn't involve whats best for the team or development.

that's the main thing people are concerned about. In actuality, the "effect' should be minimal, its more the "principal" that i think most are concerned with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad