Confirmed with Link: Jets select Scott Kosmachuk (70th overall)

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
From what I've read about him, sounds like he could be sort of in the same mold as Kris Versteeg. If he's got that sort of upside, nabbing him in the 3rd round is a steal!!!!!!

mmhmm. Based off some of these reports sounds like he could end up being a good "complementary piece" in your top 6, I love players like this.

Definitly seems like a good grab in the 3rd. Our first three rounds look pretty good. I admit it would have been nice to maybe see one boom-bust skill guy, but, there's not doubt about chevys drafting style now: Big, Hardworking, North-South, North Americans.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
but, there's not doubt about chevys drafting style now: Big, Hardworking, North-South, North Americans.

Yup. Nice characteristics to add as they are lacking a bit at the moment. But they will need to continue to add skill too in the draft.

Can't all be the same type of player. Physical, hard-working, gritty grinder type player.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yup. Nice characteristics to add as they are lacking a bit at the moment. But they will need to continue to add skill too in the draft.

Can't all be the same type of player. Physical, hard-working, gritty grinder type player.

I am sure they will add skill Bob E when they get their shot.

I was a bit surprised when Chevy was asked about Trouba he said:

On where Trouba ranked on the list:

“We didn’t get to the ninth guy, but he was well up on our list. As it started to unfold and get closer and closer to our pick, we started to get an air of excitement that there was the possibility that he would fall into our lap.â€

I would love to see their list.............who of this group did they have ranked above him?

IMHO Nail (yes), Murray (yes), Galchenyuk (probably)

but then Reinhart (possibly), Reilly (?), Lindholm (?), Dumba (?), Pouliot (x)

I assume from Kevin's response “well up on our list†must mean at least 5th no? Either way they did sound very pumped he fell into their lap. Bob I say this because by Chevy's answer they were not adverse to going after skill over size and grit with their first pick. if Trouba was "well up" on our list we did value some smaller skill guys more. I do like our first three picks and the grit and character of each......they could possibly be great pieces in the future and fit nicely with the Scheifele's, Burmi's, and Telegin's of our prospect group. The blended portfolio approach ;)

High character seems to be huge for TNSE and I for one love the priority. team chemistry is very under rated IMHO.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I am sure they will add skill Bob E when they get their shot.

I was a bit surprised when Chevy was asked about Trouba he said:

On where Trouba ranked on the list:

“We didn’t get to the ninth guy, but he was well up on our list. As it started to unfold and get closer and closer to our pick, we started to get an air of excitement that there was the possibility that he would fall into our lap.â€

I would love to see their list.............who of this group did they have ranked above him?

IMHO Nail (yes), Murray (yes), Galchenyuk (probably)

but then Reinhart (possibly), Reilly (?), Lindholm (?), Dumba (?), Pouliot (x)

I assume from Kevin's response “well up on our list†must mean at least 5th no? Either way they did sound very pumped he fell into their lap. Bob I say this because by Chevy's answer they were not adverse to going after skill over size and grit with their first pick. if Trouba was "well up" on our list we did value some smaller skill guys more. I do like our first three picks and the grit and character of each......they could possibly be great pieces in the future and fit nicely with the Scheifele's, Burmi's, and Telegin's of our prospect group. The blended portfolio approach ;)

High character seems to be huge for TNSE and I for one love the priority. team chemistry is very under rated IMHO.

He could be as high as second and as low as 8th (since Chevy said he wasn't 9th).

He could easily beat out any of the other guys going down in a scouts view IMO. I'd actually see us taking Galchenyuk over Yakupov to be totally honest, if it was us picking.

Aerial

Oct 14, 2011
He could be as high as second and as low as 8th (since Chevy said he wasn't 9th).

He could easily beat out any of the other guys going down in a scouts view IMO. I'd actually see us taking Galchenyuk over Yakupov to be totally honest, if it was us picking.

Wellll, judging from Chevy's description of the trade news I have a feeling Pouliot wasn't above Trouba on the Jets' list, LOL.

Taking a gander at what was out there and the emphasis Chevy put on Trouba being "way higher," I'd bet Trouba was somewhere around #3 to #5 too.

Of those on the board, I'd GUESS that they had Galchenyuk, Yakupov, Murray and maybe Reinhart higher. So maybe #5, but they probably didn't go into it expecting to have a crack at Yak, Murray or Galchy so the fact that Trouba was there at 9 would explain how pleased they were. He was probably the #1 or #2 that they thought they could realistically get, is my guess.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Wellll, judging from Chevy's description of the trade news I have a feeling Pouliot wasn't above Trouba on the Jets' list, LOL.

Taking a gander at what was out there and the emphasis Chevy put on Trouba being "way higher," I'd bet Trouba was somewhere around #3 to #5 too.

Of those on the board, I'd GUESS that they had Galchenyuk, Yakupov, Murray and maybe Reinhart higher. So maybe #5, but they probably didn't go into it expecting to have a crack at Yak, Murray or Galchy so the fact that Trouba was there at 9 would explain how pleased they were. He was probably the #1 or #2 that they thought they could realistically get, is my guess.

This is my thought as well.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
My guess is:

1) Yakupov
2) Murray
3) Galchenyuk
4) Reinhart
5) Trouba

I don't know if Rielly or Dumba would be ahead of Trouba on the list.

jetkarma*

My guess is:

1) Yakupov
2) Murray
3) Galchenyuk
4) Reinhart
5) Trouba

From all the body language etc. I think Trouba was higher for the Jets than Reinhart.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
My guess is:

1) Yakupov
2) Murray
3) Galchenyuk
4) Reinhart
5) Trouba

WJG I see it similar with maybe Trouba ahead of Reinhart? I would imagine Reinhart was the break point one way or the other. I wanted Trouba over Reinhart personally because although Reinhart is bigger they are both "big" and Trouba is more aggressive physically and you can't coach that. I also like Jacobs skating a bit more.

I am going away out on a limb now but when I watched Reinhart play in the memorial cup i really really liked his skill set but I sensed he would disappoint me over the years by not using his size enough to punish the other teams stars.

Three things made me fall love with Trouba as a prospect this past year outside of his excellant fundamentals:

#1 watching him on the PP with team USA (U18 U20). He looked so slick on the power play and I think his O skills are being significantly under rated

#2 he has been a captain on many teams and in an interview he talked about "learning some leadership ideas from Tinordi" while playing for Team USA this year. he seems like he really wants to lead and that is rare and uncoachable at a young age.

#3 most importantly......when they asked him about running the goalie in Winnipeg and getting booed the rest of the game he said "well I got pushed into him" then he looked at the camera and winked ;) and smiled!!!! Giddy up, that's my boy!!! heads up RNH, Eberle, Hall, and Nail :naughty:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
WJG I see it similar with maybe Trouba ahead of Reinhart? I would imagine Reinhart was the break point one way or the other. I wanted Trouba over Reinhart personally because although Reinhart is bigger they are both "big" and Trouba is more aggressive physically and you can't coach that. I also like Jacobs skating a bit more.

I am going away out on a limb now but when I watched Reinhart play in the memorial cup i really really liked his skill set but I sensed he would disappoint me over the years by not using his size enough to punish the other teams stars.

Three things made me fall love with Trouba as a prospect this past year outside of his excellant fundamentals:

#1 watching him on the PP with team USA (U18 U20). He looked so slick on the power play and I think his O skills are being significantly under rated

#2 he has been a captain on many teams and in an interview he talked about "learning some leadership ideas from Tinordi" while playing for Team USA this year. he seems like he really wants to lead and that is rare and uncoachable at a young age.

#3 most importantly......when they asked him about running the goalie in Winnipeg and getting booed the rest of the game he said "well I got pushed into him" then he looked at the camera and winked ;) and smiled!!!! Giddy up, that's my boy!!! heads up RNH, Eberle, Hall, and Nail :naughty:

Hahaha. They won't know what hit them. But we will... "The Trouba Train"!! All aboard!!!

I think the Jets had him #4 above Reinhart, and the 2nd best dman in the draft. Reinhart is big, but not physical. Relies on his positioning. Trouba shows great positioning too, and plays the game very well. Jumps into the play, when he sees an opening - how else would he be able to run the goalie - and has a cannon of a shot.

Obviously, they didn't rate Forsberg or Grigs as high.

jetkarma*

Taking it with a bit of leeway , Chevy said they had him "a lot higher " than number 9 . To me that means in the 5 range ... every nuance Chevy had , body language , voice inflection , indicated to me he and the Jets love the game Trouba brings. Leadership , physicality , nastyness , charisma , tough to play against , enough skill to be a plus ...

Trouba brings skills and intangibles to this team that doesn't have a player like him . When it was said Trouba may have to change his facebook page ( running a Canadian goalie as a photo ) Chevy quickly and loudly stated he wouldn't change anything about him running over anyone. We will see in the future how right he is , but to me , I totally believe Chevy and the Jets believe in Trouba as perhaps not the only player they loved at 9 , but I doubt they had more than 4 or so higher.

Very smart , solid , long term pick .

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Red Line Report has him at #25 overall.

Says he has only average speed, but is strong on his skates and tough to knock off the puck. Plays on the #1 PP and PK units, and is willing to give up his body to block shots.

Projection: 2nd line scoring winger for lower tier team
Style compares to: Matt Hasischuk

Hah he was compared to Halischuk :sarcasm:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Red Line Report has him at #25 overall.

Says he has only average speed, but is strong on his skates and tough to knock off the puck. Plays on the #1 PP and PK units, and is willing to give up his body to block shots.

Projection: 2nd line scoring winger for lower tier team
Style compares to: Matt Hasischuk

What exactly happened to Halischuk over the past two seasons?:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad