Rumor: Jets pursuing Kyle Okposo

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Per Ken Wiebe: As @StapeNewsday reported, #NHLJets are among the teams pursuing pending #Isles free agent Kyle Okposo during the negotiating window

Last edited by a moderator:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Didn't see that one coming. Doubt it amounts to much anyway though. Habs have to be gunning for a guy like him or Ladd.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm not sure how he fits in with our forward makeup. Maybe they want to put Ehlers on the left side and Perreault at center?

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Didn't see that one coming. Doubt it amounts to much anyway though. Habs have to be gunning for a guy like him or Ladd.

Apperently Okposo won't go to Montreal. He has a list of teams he would sign with and Montreal was not on it. I read that somewhere from a Montreal news source. Not sure if Jets are on it. Lots of teams
Will be gunning for Okposo, Ladd, Lucic though

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
I'm not sure how he fits in with our forward makeup. Maybe they want to put Ehlers on the left side and Perreault at center?

We would almost certainly have to deal Stafford.

Ehlers- Scheif- Wheeler
Laine- Little- Okposo
Connor-Perreault- Armia/ Dano

Pretty deadly

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Hope this is not like the time when the Jets were "pursuing" Zach Parise. Talk is cheap, I will believe it when they actually pull one of these high profile signings off.

On the other hand Chevy did say multiple times prior to the draft that they'd like to add a top 9 forward, so maybe there is something to this. Getting a free asset like Okposo would certainly take some of the sting out of the draft.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Prefer Okposo to Ladd.

Who do they protect in the expansion draft? I guess Okposo over Perreault.

Could the Jets engage in some fancy footwork?

Negotiate a contract extension with Perreault, but don't sign it. LV won't select him in the expansion draft because he's a pending UFA. Then the Jets sign the new deal after the expansion draft. Risky for Perreault, but otherwise he might be going to an expansion team.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
This free agent class seems loaded with LWers and pretty light on RWers.

Not surprised we'd show interest though, but I doubt we could meet the $$$ demands.

You'd also think that bringing him in would further exacerbate the forwards crunch and mean Chevy has to make moves to juggle them around.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
We would almost certainly have to deal Stafford.

Ehlers- Scheif- Wheeler
Laine- Little- Okposo
Connor-Perreault- Armia/ Dano

Pretty deadly

Petan > Dano > Armia (although Nic's 2-way contract probably means he's back with the Moose)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Prefer Okposo to Ladd.

Negotiate a contract extension with Perreault, but don't sign it. LV won't select him in the expansion draft because he's a pending UFA. Then the Jets sign the new deal after the expansion draft. Risky for Perreault, but otherwise he might be going to an expansion team.

They likely have to trade a dmen if they grab him and do the 7-3 scheme.

Protect:

Wheeler, Scheifele, Little, Okposo, Perrault, Dano, one of Lowry or Burmie.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Prefer Okposo to Ladd.

For the protection is that assuming 4 forwards and 4 D? I'm guessing we may go 7 forwards and either trade Enstrom (I don't like that) or expose Myers.

They likely have to trade a dmen if they grab him and do the 7-3 scheme.

Protect:

Wheeler, Scheifele, Little, Okposo, Perrault, Dano, one of Lowry or Burmie.

Yes. That's exactly what I'm thinking as well.

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
Anyone know what type of money he wants or term?
I think he might be slightly interested to play for Winnipeg maybe because it's close to Minnesota?
Interesting for sure.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
For the protection is that assuming 4 forwards and 4 D? I'm guessing we may go 7 forwards and either trade Enstrom (I don't like that) or expose Myers.

They'd need to move Enstrom. I can't imagine that they'll leave Myers unprotected.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003

Trading Enstrom is way better option than exposing Myers though. Tyler may still be in the NHL 7-8+ years after Toby has retired.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Okposo is going to have a lot of teams after him. He's one of the premier players available.

He's getting paid.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Okposo is going to have a lot of teams after him. He's one of the premier players available.

He's getting paid.

How many teams out there have the cap room and money available?

It seems like out of all the free agents some are going to have to take price cuts.

Although I doubt Okposo will as he seems to be the best RW out there.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
How many teams out there have the cap room and money available?

It seems like out of all the free agents some are going to have to take price cuts.

Although I doubt Okposo will as he seems to be the best RW out there.

Kings, Blues, Wings and his home time Wild have also reportedly begun pursuing him.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Kings, Blues, Wings and his home time Wild have also reportedly begun pursuing him.

Kings barely have cap-space as is and still have to fill out the rest of their roster and will need to pay players like Toffoli and Pearson next year. I can't see them as serious contenders at all.

I can't see the Wild being interested in a long term deal as they already have several and could really be in a bind in the future.

Blues is interesting, but why give Okposo the money they claim to not have to keep Backes, Brouwer, Shattenkirk, etc?

Wings is legit. They could throw some money around (especially at Stamkos allegedly).

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
I heard an interview today on 1290 with Chipman where he indicated quite strongly that the Jets were going after free agents. I don't remember whether he was talking plural or singular. My guess is that the next couple of weeks could still be quite exciting hockeywise.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I heard an interview today on 1290 with Chipman where he indicated quite strongly that the Jets were going after free agents. I don't remember whether he was talking plural or singular. My guess is that the next couple of weeks could still be quite exciting hockeywise.

He was asked by Lawless if there was mony in the budget to target players in free agency. He said absolutely there was.

Not sure how interested we are but I believe Okposo was a teammate of Wheeler's at Minnesota. Maybe the Minny Mafia is tecruiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad