Jets PK since Stuart out

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Does anyone have the success rate for the Jets PK since Stuart has be injured?

I have no firm stats...

But I am certain my Tourette's like outbursts at the TV have diminished to just a few since Stuarts absence began.

Before his disappearance I think my wife was going to commit me....

tumblr_mm0dy7UU6f1r8swqdo1_500.gif

:)

White Out 403*

Once Pavelec has his walking papers and goes to Europe and plays for the Belfast Giants, I can focus my dislike on stuart. The man is a pylon. actually i have to apologize to pylons... pylons at least sit there. Stuart turns over the puck and makes bad decisions

whlie I dont have data for the op, there is good data already out there that demonstrates how terrible MS has been on the PK (Hint: league worst. literally)

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Not a fan of stuart but... the PK is totally different right now, it's more aggressive, the younger guys like Copp are getting a chance to show what they can do and are showing that maybe they should have been playing PK all along. No doubt the PK has been much better recently but... I don't think it's because Stuart isn't on the ice for it, I think they have changed their philosophy on it, being more aggressive... giving the younger guys a chance and they have stepped up recently.

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
Not a fan of stuart but... the PK is totally different right now, it's more aggressive, the younger guys like Copp are getting a chance to show what they can do and are showing that maybe they should have been playing PK all along. No doubt the PK has been much better recently but... I don't think it's because Stuart isn't on the ice for it, I think they have changed their philosophy on it, being more aggressive... giving the younger guys a chance and they have stepped up recently.

Do you think maybe they are more agressive because they can be and that Stuart doesnt have the ability to play that style of pk. Makes you wonder if they played a certain style so that stu could contribute.....

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
No. I don't think they would be less aggressive cuz of 1 guy on the ice, That seems crazy to me, It seems insane actually that they would be less aggressive cuz 1 guy on the ice struggles in that situation. So NO, i just think it's as simple as giving other guys a chance and they have shown they can get the job done. Wasn't Ladd on the PK lots when we were struggling also? Who is to say really.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
No. I don't think they would be less aggressive cuz of 1 guy on the ice, That seems crazy to me, It seems insane actually that they would be less aggressive cuz 1 guy on the ice struggles in that situation. So NO, i just think it's as simple as giving other guys a chance and they have shown they can get the job done. Wasn't Ladd on the PK lots when we were struggling also? Who is to say really.

well, when you have one guy who can't contribute to a certain style out of 4, that's 25% of your PK at any given time. I'd say that might be significant...

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
It's sad that this team only seems to learn which players are best in certain situations when injuries occur. The coaching staff is always forced into those situations. They never seem to see what works through practice or talent evaluation. Really you can say they luck into positive changes.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

What goes unsaid in the tweet is that the Jets' season PK numbers also includes the stretch since Stuart's been out, so it was actually worse than it is now.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
The PK was just as bad if not worse for the first 6 or so games after the Stuart injury.

Finally they realized with 20 or so games left their horrible system of transitioning between a really small/tight box and a huge diamond wasn't working.

It's pretty ridiculous people actually think one player is the cause. Even when Stuart was playing but the other PK unit was on the ice they were still getting scored on.

Stuart isn't good but it is foolish for people to actually think he was the sole reason the PK was bad.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
The PK was just as bad if not worse for the first 6 or so games after the Stuart injury.

Finally they realized with 20 or so games left their horrible system of transitioning between a really small/tight box and a huge diamond wasn't working.

It's pretty ridiculous people actually think one player is the cause. Even when Stuart was playing but the other PK unit was on the ice they were still getting scored on.

Stuart isn't good but it is foolish for people to actually think he was the sole reason the PK was bad.

The bolded is an interesting thing to say...

The difference between team performance with player on the ice vs team performance with player on the bench in hockey statistics is known as a relative stat. So, relCorsi would be the Jets performance in Corsi with player on ice, minus their performance with player on the bench.

Now, back to your bolded statement, the statistical article everyone points out in regards to Stuart and his terrible play on the PK is that Stuart has the WORST relative numbers in the entire NHL for PK regular defenders...

In otherwords, you cannot say that things are the same without Stuart, because the whole observation was that the Jets take a bigger dip down in performance with Stuart on the ice, than any other team does with any player.

Now, he's not the sole reason for bad performance, but, he is still the weakest link in the chain.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Then there's this face palm quote from Maurice today...

Stuart, out since mid-February with what’s surely a broken hand after blocking a shot, is also back on the ice.

"He’s back skating and this is just waiting for a bone to heal," Maurice said.

"So he can get pushed harder now on the ice. The day that the doc says his injury is healed, he’s playing the next day."

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
It's sad that this team only seems to learn which players are best in certain situations when injuries occur. The coaching staff is always forced into those situations. They never seem to see what works through practice or talent evaluation. Really you can say they luck into positive changes.

Yeah like the schweehlers line taking as long as it did to exist... I feel like that would just be my line if I were playing NHL 16. It always seems like we need to stumble upon change and improvements. Combine that with pomos love for our garbage "old school" veteran players like stu, thorbs and pav and it seems like a sabotage attempt

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Further to the point that: no it's not only Stuart, but he has been the worst.

Jets Goals Against Rate relative to Stuart:
Enstrom 91%
Myers 89%
Trouba 82%
Byfuglien 80%
Pardy 61% (small sample)

So yes, they are still getting scored on, but it's less.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK

Enstrom 91%
Myers 89%
Trouba 82%
Byfuglien 80%
Pardy 61% (small sample)

What's the equation behind relative stats?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Enstrom 91%
Myers 89%
Trouba 82%
Byfuglien 80%
Pardy 61% (small sample)

What's the equation behind relative stats?

Oops sorry this is not relative stats. I should have specified since I talked about relative stats just above.

This is just Jets GA rates with those players on the ice relative to Stuart's.

Example: Jets get scored on 80% as often per minute with Byfuglien (6.61 GA per 60 mins) as they do with Stuart on the ice (8.19 GA per 60 mins).

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Thanks to all for the info. I'm not a fan of Stuart's but a friend is and he threw the Maurice quote at me. I'm just looking for some ammunition to counter my friend with the "Stuart blinkers". I' m also not as keen on Maurice as I used to be.....unless he was being sarcastic with the reporter.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Stuart was getting his minutes and his PK time cut before the injury. Probably should have happened earlier but the idea that the Jets just lucked into figuring out he wasn't great at it because of the injury isn't true.

It would also help if we didn't spend so much time on the PK that we basically have to use everyone.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand

Enstrom 91%
Myers 89%
Trouba 82%
Byfuglien 80%
Pardy 61% (small sample)

So they ditch Pardy.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Thanks to all for the info. I'm not a fan of Stuart's but a friend is and he threw the Maurice quote at me. I'm just looking for some ammunition to counter my friend with the "Stuart blinkers". I' m also not as keen on Maurice as I used to be.....unless he was being sarcastic with the reporter.

I'll start hockey talk with other fans, and as soon as I hear something like, "Enstrom's the worst D on the team. He's got to go or the Jets will never go anywhere.", I just have to decide to talk about something else. Some people's "blinkers" will never be removed. You just have to live with it.

Lately, when I'm watching hockey, and I hear the commentator say, "Player X leads the team/league in shotblocking.", I think of it as the "Stuart stat." and just embrace the idea that they're a possession minus, poor puck-moving, relatively immobile defenseman, loved by their coach for their crease-clearing ability. (In the meantime, they're stuck around their crease all of the time, partly due to their skill-set.)

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

What goes unsaid in the tweet is that the Jets' season PK numbers also includes the stretch since Stuart's been out, so it was actually worse than it is now.

Any stats on Ladd's PK performance when he was here? I wasn't impressed with him in that role, and pairing him with Stuart on the same side of the PK seemed a recipe for disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00