Post-Game Talk: Jets @ Oilers • Wed Sep 23rd, 8PM • Rexall Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I believe every line needs to strong possession guys. Which is why I like the idea of these as pairs:

Ladd - Little
Perrault - Scheifele
Burmie - Lowry

Mix and match the RWs

While Scheifele looks to have taken another step forward as an all around player, I feel it's too much responsibility to ask him to pick up the slack of two wingers who aren't great defensively.

Interesting I sense Ehlers is going to be a good possession player but I would settle for a Wheeler style where he is "the" scoring driver.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Interesting I sense Ehlers is going to be a good possession player but I would settle for a Wheeler style where he is "the" scoring driver.

I definitely think he will be developed that way, my pairs are really just based on what we know to date. They are subject to change based on how some of the young guys perform.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wouldn't that be an argument against Staff-Scheif-Wheel then?

The argument was that some are uncomfortable with that lines ability to take toughs just due to the combinations of the individual skill sets they have.

Is it not counter to this:

Any advantage gained by getting favourable matchups would be negated by opposing coaches exploiting their weakness. That is going to work out even every time you construct a line by creating a weakness in order to create a strength.

If a coach can construct a line that has an advantage due to being very good at one aspect without creating an offsetting disadvantage he has gained something. Obviously that isn't easy. Conceptually it might work in a case like the PBE line. Their speed, quickness and puck handling skill level would give them an advantage over many other lines. Their disadvantage is smaller size however that doesn't allow an opposing coach to negate their advantage with large size against them because their speed allows them to avoid their bigger opponents. Probably the best counter to that line would be a similarly constructed opposing line that could match the speed.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I believe every line needs to strong possession guys. Which is why I like the idea of these as pairs:

Ladd - Little
Perrault - Scheifele
Burmie - Lowry

Mix and match the RWs

While Scheifele looks to have taken another step forward as an all around player, I feel it's too much responsibility to ask him to pick up the slack of two wingers who aren't great defensively.

:thumbu: This. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad