Speculation: Jets/Moose lineups 2015-2016

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't see Petan playing on the 4th line unless the team drastically changes deployment.

If they plan to give the line 3-5 minutes a games, Cormier makes the most sense.
If they plan togive that lline 10-12 minutes an night, it might make sense to play Copp or Petan.

Ladd-Little-Stafford
Perreault-Scheifele-Wheeler
Burmi-Lowry-Ehlers

Not sure where Copp or Petan play in the top-9 in the near future. Either the Jets change their approach and start playing the 4th line more in the next year or two (maybe evening out the 3rd and 4th lines), or they are going to have to have young guys like Copp playing 3-5 minutes a game anyway. They have too much depth to have all of their promising prospects destined for the top-9.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Ladd-Little-Stafford
Burmi-Lowry-Ehlers

Not sure where Copp or Petan play in the top-9 in the near future. Either the Jets change their approach and start playing the 4th line more in the next year or two (maybe evening out the 3rd and 4th lines), or they are going to have to have young guys like Copp playing 3-5 minutes a game anyway. They have too much depth to have all of their promising prospects destined for the top-9.

The closer we get to the start of the season, the more I see a guy like Cormier on our 4th line. Good f/o guy, physical, likely fine with under 5 mins/gm.

Copp and Petan can play much more and in all situations in the AHL. And are likely called up during the yr. Young players need to play. They will play much more on the Moose.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I think you have a pretty good take on it. I didn't realize that De Leo was AHL eligible as he is still 19, but that bodes well for us, helps us with LW depth.

Players drafted and playing for CHL teams are ineligible to play in the professional minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) until they are 20 years old (by December 31st of that year) or have completed four years in major juniors.

Chase De Leo turns 20 in October & has also played four seasons in Portland.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't see Petan playing on the 4th line unless the team drastically changes deployment.

If they plan to give the line 3-5 minutes a games, Cormier makes the most sense.
If they plan togive that lline 10-12 minutes an night, it might make sense to play Copp or Petan.

I am really hoping we change our style, I think there was a change after the trade deadline. Maurice seemed to acknowledge that 4 line teams had an advantage on us, and Whileee and others posted statistics which reflected that. I'd like to see Stempniak (over Halischuk)-Copp-Thorburn as a 4th line. 8-10 minutes a game. Option B: Ehlers-Petan-Peluso/Halischuk. Both would be upgrades on GST, GSP, etc. That would spread talent throughout the lineup. Also would give Maurice the option of using all his best penalty killers, as the top two lines in this scenario should stay in the 12-14 minute range of Even Strength ice time, and get the rest of their minutes in special teams situations.

Ladd-Little-Stafford
Burmi-Lowry-Ehlers

Whenever I see Ehlers in the top 9, I know it is a premise that may work offensively, but I guarantee that with Maurice being such a stickler for defensive detail, that no way does Ehlers get a lot of defensive zone responsibility. Too green. Especially with two players who are going to be given alot of defensive responsibility. So you would conceivably see alot of Thorburn in Ehlers spot, late in periods, in close games I think. And that is probably not palletable to alot of people here. But that's the reality. If that top six is correct, Armia has probably a better chance of filling out the top 9.

I think Petan will eventually push Perrault out of the top 9, or onto another club. The luxury we have is we can keep Petan or Ehlers in the minors for an extra year, as a depth reserve, as well. It is not like two years (or one in Ehlers case) in the A would be too much development, and hinder their careers. I expect us to move up to 8-10 out of our 4th. Copp's plateau is probably that as a 4th liner, too many ahead of him to move. His added value is as a potential roommate of Trouba, he will keep the phenom focused on hockey.

The closer we get to the start of the season, the more I see a guy like Cormier on our 4th line. Good f/o guy, physical, likely fine with under 5 mins/gm.

Copp and Petan can play much more and in all situations in the AHL. And are likely called up during the yr. Young players need to play. They will play much more on the Moose.

If we start we a traditional 3 line team, than Cormier on the 4th makes sense. The rooks can develop. But there are no vets on the Moose squad other than him, so he might end up being a captain or an A there. I just can't see us going back to a 3-5 minute 4th line, that is a waste of all the talent we could use.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I am really hoping we change our style, I think there was a change after the trade deadline. Maurice seemed to acknowledge that 4 line teams had an advantage on us, and Whileee and others posted statistics which reflected that. I'd like to see Stempniak (over Halischuk)-Copp-Thorburn as a 4th line. 8-10 minutes a game. Option B: Ehlers-Petan-Peluso/Halischuk. Both would be upgrades on GST, GSP, etc. That would spread talent throughout the lineup. Also would give Maurice the option of using all his best penalty killers, as the top two lines in this scenario should stay in the 12-14 minute range of Even Strength ice time, and get the rest of their minutes in special teams situations.

I'm hoping as well that Maurice begins rolling 4 lines, but going into last season he clearly stated that was his plan & once the season began there was no sign of this at all. Where did that get us? Bruised & banged up to the point many didn't practice the last half the season & far too injured for a playoff run.

I am really hoping we change our style, I think there Whenever I see Ehlers in the top 9, I know it is a premise that may work offensively, but I guarantee that with Maurice being such a stickler for defensive detail, that no way does Ehlers get a lot of defensive zone responsibility. Too green. Especially with two players who are going to be given alot of defensive responsibility. So you would conceivably see alot of Thorburn in Ehlers spot, late in periods, in close games I think. And that is probably not palletable to alot of people here. But that's the reality. If that top six is correct, Armia has probably a better chance of filling out the top 9.

I agree. Armia is much more ready for top 9 minutes right now. I doubt both will make the opening day roster unless Maurice rolls 4 lines. To do that means any two of Halischuk / Thorburn / Peluso need to be Moose bound.

Copp's plateau is probably that as a 4th liner, too many ahead of him to move. His added value is as a potential roommate of Trouba, he will keep the phenom focused on hockey.

;)

If we start we a traditional 3 line team, than Cormier on the 4th makes sense. The rooks can develop. But there are no vets on the Moose squad other than him, so he might end up being a captain or an A there. I just can't see us going back to a 3-5 minute 4th line, that is a waste of all the talent we could use.

Julian Melchiori (23) , Patrice Cormier (25), John Albert (26) are the only players left from the Ice Caps year one team & are all likely candidates for letters this year. Hoping the Albert contract gets done.

"Sure wish we had a guy like Albert on our team!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkyMM3EScjA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad