OT: Jets Lounge: Rogue Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Tips and tricks for the ODR

Be prepared to wear at least 7 – 10 layers, to prevent your sweat from encasing you in a block of ice.

Always check the corners and rest of the ice, to mentally note all of the gashes and divots. Your friends WILL mock you relentlessly if you wipe out for no reason.

If you bring only one puck, you are asking for trouble. Chances of A> puck going off the crossbar and into a snowbank never to be found, or B> splitting in half when it hits the post are extremely high.

You will have no hands for at least 15 minutes until your body warms up and they thaw out. I use this as my excuse even in indoor ice.

Try not to raise the puck, to avoid nailing little kids, but much more importantly, so you don’t lose it over the boards.

Even though you are playing a serious game, you will have to be aware of, and avoid the following:

- Chunks of ice missing

- Puck bunnies who come to watch their barely pubescent boyfriends dangle

- Small children

- Dogs (never thought I’d have to add that one til today)

- The guy who can’t skate AT ALL but wants to play

Eat your carrots because it gets dark at 4 and it’s about a 50/50 chance that the lights are going to come on.

You will have no less than 5 bruises and welts on your body from:

- Raised pucks

- Inadvertent slashes

- Advertent slashes

- Contact with the boards (mostly guided by your friends)

- Childrens faces

Despite all of this, the ODR is one of the happiest places on earth, and DEFINITELY the best part of living in Winnipeg.

Feel free to add onto this if I missed anything :D

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Be prepared to wear at least 7 – 10 layers, to prevent your sweat from encasing you in a block of ice.

Always check the corners and rest of the ice, to mentally note all of the gashes and divots. Your friends WILL mock you relentlessly if you wipe out for no reason.

If you bring only one puck, you are asking for trouble. Chances of A> puck going off the crossbar and into a snowbank never to be found, or B> splitting in half when it hits the post are extremely high.

You will have no hands for at least 15 minutes until your body warms up and they thaw out. I use this as my excuse even in indoor ice.

Try not to raise the puck, to avoid nailing little kids, but much more importantly, so you don’t lose it over the boards.

Even though you are playing a serious game, you will have to be aware of, and avoid the following:

- Chunks of ice missing

- Small children

Eat your carrots because it gets dark at 4 and it’s about a 50/50 chance that the lights are going to come on.

- Raised pucks

- Inadvertent slashes

- Advertent slashes

- Childrens faces

Despite all of this, the ODR is one of the happiest places on earth, and DEFINITELY the best part of living in Winnipeg.

I think you intended to post this in the other thread. Time to easy off on the Eggnog, Jet? ;)

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

- Chunks of ice missing

- Small children

- Raised pucks

- Inadvertent slashes

- Advertent slashes

- Childrens faces

Can confirm. ODR's are great in Sask too. Best if you bring a flask and some rumnog.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Merry Xmas Jet fans! I'll leave you with a guy I played a show with once way back in the day covering Tool. Guy is crazy good, one of the better drummers I've ever heard.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Nice cover. Lefty.

Must say I prefer my drums far more soulful. RnB, funk, gospel even Hiphop. Just hits the spot for me.
One of my favourite recent covers: The way he sits in the pocket and then his fills just damn

Gotta hand it to Tool for making a bunch of dudes voluntarily wear the word across their chests. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Holy ****, that's a lot of snow out there. Spent 1 1/2 hours (with a couple of breaks in between) moving all of that snow in my driveway. Most of the storm is by me, so it's just really a lot of blowing snow now, but holy hell, that was a lot of snow. I'm just glad that I don't have a day job and I don't work today, so I don't have to worry about snow drifts and being late because of the weather. x_x

Last edited:

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Holy ****, that's a lot of snow out there. Spent 1 1/2 hours (with a couple of breaks in between) moving all of that snow in my driveway. Most of the storm is by me, so it's just really a lot of blowing snow now, but holy hell, that was a lot of snow. I'm just glad that I don't have a day job and I don't work today, so I don't have to worry about snow drifts and being late because of the weather. x_x

I couldn't sleep at all last night worrying about getting to work so finally said screw it at 3am and made my way into work. Had some problems on my street but once i got a bit of momentum I stayed on the gas all the way to work - red lights be damned. Even route 90 was bad. Luckily I got enough guys that made it in today that I should be okay until my afternoon crew shows up - provided they start clearing streets.

Spent 2.5 hours in our damn loader and it still doesn't look like I made a dent...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I did a Starbucks run this morning and spent 30 minutes pushing people out of being stuck on main roads lol. My wife just tried to head into a fitness class and her SUV almost got stuck on our main side street and luckily we got it back into the garage.

Not really smart to be out on the roads yet unless you have to.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I did a Starbucks run this morning and spent 30 minutes pushing people out of being stuck on main roads lol. My wife just tried to head into a fitness class and her SUV almost got stuck on our main side street and luckily we got it back into the garage.

Not really smart to be out on the roads yet unless you have to.

Yeah they are just starting to clear main routes now. I just got back from picking up an employee that couldn't make it in. Bonus was my house was "somewhat" on the way so was able to use the company 4x4 with the plow and made a quick 5 minute job of my driveway :)

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
It's pouring rain in Toronto today. Strange, strange weather so far this year. Talked to my parents in WPG, and they're still shoveling / snowblowing their way out.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
So, I am officially being sponsored for a work visa for the US by my company. Aim is for an L1 which is 3 year, renew once for another 3 year, and provides a road to permanent residency.

Really, REALLY excited. Will most likely be in Orlando to start and eventually Tampa. There's a hockey rink just a few blocks from me. Their league has:

- Rookie league (beginners)
- D (graduated from rookie league)
- B (High School/ House League experience)
- A (College/ Pro)
- 35 + (A and B)

I am tempted to go for the 35+ cause I think I'd do really well. They have a draft skate, and then captains draft their teams! I think that would be so amazing! They draft the A division, then whoever isn't drafted gets drafted by the B division.

I would rather play in the younger divisions, because I like the challenge and honestly, I don't know what the level of hockey is going to be like in ORLANDO :laugh:

I'll most likely play in both lmao.

One small hitch though, I have to register as a player with Hockey USA *gross*

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So, I am officially being sponsored for a work visa for the US by my company. Aim is for an L1 which is 3 year, renew once for another 3 year, and provides a road to permanent residency.

Really, REALLY excited. Will most likely be in Orlando to start and eventually Tampa. There's a hockey rink just a few blocks from me. Their league has:

- Rookie league (beginners)
- D (graduated from rookie league)
- B (High School/ House League experience)
- A (College/ Pro)
- 35 + (A and B)

I am tempted to go for the 35+ cause I think I'd do really well. They have a draft skate, and then captains draft their teams! I think that would be so amazing! They draft the A division, then whoever isn't drafted gets drafted by the B division.

I would rather play in the younger divisions, because I like the challenge and honestly, I don't know what the level of hockey is going to be like in ORLANDO :laugh:

I'll most likely play in both lmao.

One small hitch though, I have to register as a player with Hockey USA *gross*

Good work Jet that is exciting. This past year I opened a business in Dallas and we are opening a business in Houston in September and we are moving quite a few Canadian's down and a few of my business partners are beginning new lives in the US and will be living there forever. It is pretty crazy when you think about the "sliding doors" of life. I remember seeing that Movie with my Girlfriend at the time and I always have be fascinated by how simple decisions can completely change the path our lives go on. You seem happy and I am sure your mom is smiling down on you right now. Not to mention you are probably going to be a rock star hockey player in TB and you can now take those end to end rushes.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hey guys just booking a hotel for my first Winnipeg trip. Is the Radisson Hotel in downtown Winnipeg right by the MTSC a good stay? It's close so I like that it's just a hop skip and jump to the game.
Any suggestions is much appreciated. We would preferably like a Hotel within walking distance of the MTSC.

Also what's a good place to eat around that area, preferably something fancy but good food? We aren't opposed to a pub of some sort either as long as the food is good.

Also what are some good activities to do on a Saturday night in downtown? Game will probably be over by 5ish I'm guessing so open to any suggestions of what the lady and I can do afterwards.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Good work Jet that is exciting. This past year I opened a business in Dallas and we are opening a business in Houston in September and we are moving quite a few Canadian's down and a few of my business partners are beginning new lives in the US and will be living there forever. It is pretty crazy when you think about the "sliding doors" of life. I remember seeing that Movie with my Girlfriend at the time and I always have be fascinated by how simple decisions can completely change the path our lives go on. You seem happy and I am sure your mom is smiling down on you right now. Not to mention you are probably going to be a rock star hockey player in TB and you can now take those end to end rushes.

Thanks man, I am so excited to start this new adventure. I've felt like I was in limbo the past couple of years, but especially when my Mom passed away. I have great friends and family here in Winnipeg but honestly, she is the reason I stayed so long.

I am very interested to see how I, a forty something player (I consider myself a Nik Lidstrom type in longevity :) ) will do against a bunch of Floridians. I am sure there are a few expat Canadians there. As a matter of fact when you register with Hockey USA they ask what your nationality is and the choices are:

American
Canadian
Other

:laugh:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Hey guys just booking a hotel for my first Winnipeg trip. Is the Radisson Hotel in downtown Winnipeg right by the MTSC a good stay? It's close so I like that it's just a hop skip and jump to the game.
Any suggestions is much appreciated. We would preferably like a Hotel within walking distance of the MTSC.

Also what's a good place to eat around that area, preferably something fancy but good food? We aren't opposed to a pub of some sort either as long as the food is good.

Also what are some good activities to do on a Saturday night in downtown? Game will probably be over by 5ish I'm guessing so open to any suggestions of what the lady and I can do afterwards.

Radisson is a decent hotel, can't go wrong. For eats, how fancy are you talking? Tavern United is right next door and decent but definitely not fancy. 529 Wellington is really, really fancy and not too far away. Prairie 360 is the revolving restaurant 30 stories up where you can see the entire city as you eat. Not sure of the food quality but it's pricey.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Delta and Fairmont are also connected to the MTS centre by walkway. Delta is closer, visiting team stays at the Fairmont.

Alt hotel is across Portage Ave from MTS Centre but no walkway access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad