OT: Jets Lounge: Do NOT take LadyJet26 to Clay Oven!

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I'm just getting a bit sick of superheroes I think. I love all kinds of movies, but there is such a thing as too much.

Gotta applaud Marvel for exploring their back catalog though. And we're up to what? A billion Batman rehashes now?
On the other hand does it even matter if they're using new characters while the plots are all the same?

I think we're closer to the saturation point than Marvel realizes. They are fun movies but even the nerds that grew up on the comics are starting to get weary of the same thing over and over.

As for seeing movies in theaters, it's great, except for the people in the theater. Over 90% are great - courteous, considerate, mature. But that 10% killed it for me over the years. They fall into several categories:

- the "narrator" that can't shut up during the movie - dude, we're NOT in your living room
- the "rattler" who remarkably cannot get a piece of licorice out of a bag without a six minute battle - honestly, your hand doesn't need to stay in the bag and move constantly
- the "texter" - you do not need to be engaged in social media constantly - instagram will wait
- the "oblivious cell phone user" - more than once I've been in theaters and people have actually answered their phones and started conversations
- the "kicker" - trust me, I know the leg room isn't ample, I'm six inches taller than you are but I still manage to not constantly kick the snot out of the seat in front of me, or worse, put my freaking feet up on the back of the chair in front of me :rant:

The strangest things I see though are those that bring their babies or young children to movies that we all know are going to be loud and scary - hey mom your two year old will not sit through The Return of the King :shakehead

So yeah, there's a reason I have an 80" Sharp in my basement along with some damn fine speakers and a kick ass Yamaha receiver.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I don't understand why you would pay money in a theatre for a Marvel movie. Not because they are bad but, like said, they ALWAYS work the same way (with little exceptions). I'd feel ripped off to pay 10-15 Euro to see the same movie over and over again, up to 3 times a year, just with different people in different colored costumes.

you're mostly right but there are exceptions to the rules.

Guardians of the Galaxy was an atypical action flick and it was pretty good.
the 3rd XMen movie was pretty dark. the heroes and the final battle wasn't the best (same old fight crap) but the plot was dark and it wasn't a happy ending.

the 1st Avengers movie was a total poopshow. a zillion heroes! a few villains! aliens! a space port! everyone feel good and lots of weird action scenes!!

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
For me, **** like that is why I go to the theaters. It all depends on what you think you need to get from a movie. Some people want to think and stuff, laugh maybe...and I'm like that too. Sometimes.

But sometimes I want to go to the theatre and escape. Just forget about my life. Forget about the wife and the kids, the job, the garage I need to clear out. I just want to escape.

And superhero movies do that for me like nothing else. Especially if they are good ones.

I totally agree with this.

Its why I read the comics as a kid.

When the Vision appeared, the little kid in me was so happy.

The little kid in me still has a crush on the Scarlet Witch.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
The Marvel movies have become solid, reliable entertainment. A bit formulaic now perhaps, but still. They're comforting. Just like your favorite TV shows, it's almost more about the character interplay than it is about the plot.

And I'm ok with that. There's a huge backlog of characters and stories to interpret. It's a good time to be a nerd.

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
What do you guys think about a Karlsson + Ceci vs Trouba + Myers poll (which combo would you rather have going forward)? I thought I'd run it by here before I post it. Would it make for a good poll? I'm feeling now like Ottawa would win, but I'm not sure how close it would be. What say y'all?

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
What do you guys think about a Karlsson + Ceci vs Trouba + Myers poll (which combo would you rather have going forward)? I thought I'd run it by here before I post it. Would it make for a good poll? I'm feeling now like Ottawa would win, but I'm not sure how close it would be. What say y'all?

I think it is a HFboards rule that Karlsson can only go up against Subban in a poll. However if you want to circumvent that, go ahead but maybe ask a Mod just in case.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

Karlsson and Ceci would smoke ours, rightly or wrongly.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
And Hammer was never heard from again :amazed:

:sarcasm:

Oh, he was heard from again and that is the problem. In fact as a result of his trip to the Clay Oven hearing him and some other senses being engaged at the same time were part of the recurring problem deep into the night. :sarcasm:

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
About to watch the Breaking Bad finale.

post-26939-Jason-Momoa-dis-gon-b-gud-gif-BU1E.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad