GDT: Jets @ Kraken

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Should have beaten the pants off of Winnipeg in an early start time, with them traveling late last night, a backup goalie, and playing the 3rd period down a forward. Hope Soucy steps on a Lego tonight. Really tough loss.

Reactions: hn777

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
soucy is on my list to move at the TDL sorry but this crap is not how you get a new contract.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
soucy is on my list to move at the TDL sorry but this crap is not how you get a new contract.

You don't jettison a guy for one lapse of judgement.

If it becomes a habit, then it may be warranted.

Soucy has been reliably solid for the team this season on the blueline. He's a relatively inexperienced NHL player. Hopefully he learns his lesson and the team moves on. I would not be surprised if the league looks at the punch and lightens his wallet a bit as well, that may further enforce the lesson.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm looking at it like this, Tanev's goal should not have counted, so getting the point is still a good outcome.

View attachment 607767

You can carry it in backwards, I thought it was fine. Maybe he wasn't really in control of the puck enough there, but I like that that sort of play is allowed.

You don't jettison a guy for one lapse of judgement.

That would be a good way to quickly run out of players.

Soucy is valuable and let's all hope the team is too good to be sellers at the deadline.

Reactions: Irie

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
You can carry it in backwards, I thought it was fine. Maybe he wasn't really in control of the puck enough there, but I like that that sort of play is allowed.

I am pretty sure Bjorkstrand fired the pass to Tanev and it hit the back of his stick once and went 3+ feet into the air and Tanev fully crossed the line before touching it again. By traditional definition, I don't believe he had possession until he picks it up while it is still in the neutral zone and while he is already fully across the line.

I actually watched the replay twice and I am pretty certain that Tanev was attempting to backhand the puck to a streaking Bjorkstrand when it flips up in the air due to the velocity of the pass, but it was a somewhat fortuitious bounce that Tanev then corals after he is already offside.

I suppose that could be subjective according to the refs discretion, but I am pretty sure the rule reads the player must have "Possession and control". I don't think Tanev really had either in this case. Either way, if I am Bowness, I think I'm challenging that play, and while I love that a break went Seattle's way, if I am being honest, I think it would have been disallowed.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
What a moronic penalty by Soucy.
Punching a dude in the back of his head with less than a minute to go while you're up by one and the other team has already pulled the goalie.
Of course also while you just cleared the puck as well. :banghead:

Anyways, I think the team needs to get back to the drawing board offensively because that have been two games in a row where they had loads of trouble creating offense or keeping the team out of their own zone.

Also not great for Jones who ends up giving up three(to no fault of his own) after playing very well once again.
I also thought Olofsson looked solid and way more comforable than Fleury, but that could also be given that he's actually seen game time this season(unlike Fleury, who sat for about a month before playing a game) and didn't have to play on his off side.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Soucy has done that more than once this season. Late game penalties that were just boneheaded and avoidable. Maybe he has money on the game. I blame Bettman.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Well at least they get a point.
Really, I don't blame Soucy. Stuff happens. Without the goaltending we lose that game anyway and they were horrible in the OT. Gave the puck away too easily. I'd call this one a learning experience.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I still don't like the play Burakovsky made in overtime at all. It is right up there with Soucy's play imo. I understand that is the type of player he is but he had passes to make there. Just an overall disappointing loss.

I say all of this realizing that they were outplayed most of the game and one point is not a bad result.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Anyways, I think the team needs to get back to the drawing board offensively because that have been two games in a row where they had loads of trouble creating offense or keeping the team out of their own zone.
The team had the longest win streak in their history, and we saw stability in the line combinations and real, consistent chemistry for the first time.

They played Minnesota, a team that they shut out a week earlier, and it was obvious Evason and the Wild coaching staff watched that game tape and saw that Seattle plays a tight offensive formation and runs their bumper low in the zone. The wild came prepared, tightened their coverage and played more aggressive, and the Kraken did not make any adjustments and the result was a shutout.

Seattle's coaching staff's knee jerk reaction for the next game? Don't adjust the game plan, just turn on the line blender. :facepalm:

Every single line was different, and it was pretty obvious that there was some chemistry issues in yesterday's game.

The coaching staff has to realize that when you play the same team twice in a week or less, the other coach is going to make adjustments. What they should be doing is emulating other coaching staffs and learn how to adjust too, instead of just trying to move players around while never changing your gameplan

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The team had the longest win streak in their history, and we saw stability in the line combinations and real, consistent chemistry for the first time.

They played Minnesota, a team that they shut out a week earlier, and it was obvious Evason and the Wild coaching staff watched that game tape and saw that Seattle plays a tight offensive formation and runs their bumper low in the zone. The wild came prepared, tightened their coverage and played more aggressive, and the Kraken did not make any adjustments and the result was a shutout.

Seattle's coaching staff's knee jerk reaction for the next game? Don't adjust the game plan, just turn on the line blender. :facepalm:

Every single line was different, and it was pretty obvious that there was some chemistry issues in yesterday's game.

The coaching staff has to realize that when you play the same team twice in a week or less, the other coach is going to make adjustments. What they should be doing is emulating other coaching staffs and learn how to adjust too, instead of just trying to move players around while never changing your gameplan

Yeah, I was really confused about the line changes as well.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see what(if at all) the coaching staff comes up with from now on.
Other teams have seen us play for over ten games and know what to do and I think it already shows with the offensive numbers going down and the power play already being back in the bottom third of the league.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
4-D chess by Kraken FO. Lines clicking too well to insert SW51? Submarine the entire lineup so there's no choice but to insert Wright.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
4-D chess by Kraken FO. Lines clicking too well to insert SW51? Submarine the entire lineup so there's no choice but to insert Wright.

I don't think the Wright discussion belongs in the same context. There are at least twelve better forwards on this team right now.

I'm hoping he gets an AHL conditioning stint next week. He isn't going to help the NHL club soon.

Some of the lines did get stale. Bjorkstrand has got a lot more posts than goals, and that's not all luck. I think he's a great fit long term with Wenny but i can see why they would try him with Gourde and Tanev to see if it gets him out of the goal slump.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Here's the plan... get to 5 healthy scratches, AHL conditioning stint leading right into the World Juniors. By the time he gets back, there are bound to be some injuries and the place in the standings that the team has will be more secured or at least it'll be apparent whether they are competing for a playoff spot or not. Then he gets a spot on the 3rd or 4th line and plays out the season or whatever. Has to be the plan... right?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I don't think the Wright discussion belongs in the same context. There are at least twelve better forwards on this team right now.

I'm hoping he gets an AHL conditioning stint next week. He isn't going to help the NHL club soon.

Saw this eye popping stat. Shane Wright has played in 70 hockey games in the last 964 days.

I fear we are ruining this kid.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Here's the plan... get to 5 healthy scratches, AHL conditioning stint leading right into the World Juniors. By the time he gets back, there are bound to be some injuries and the place in the standings that the team has will be more secured or at least it'll be apparent whether they are competing for a playoff spot or not. Then he gets a spot on the 3rd or 4th line and plays out the season or whatever. Has to be the plan... right?

I think the team will be too good and too deep even in January. It's going to be a struggle for him to get playing time all year if he isn't sent to the OHL. OHL is the clear best choice to my mind.

Saw this eye popping stat. Shane Wright has played in 70 hockey games in the last 964 days.

I fear we are ruining this kid.

70 in 964 strikes me as far too low, I'd agree we want it to be higher. But I think people overstate how much a typical player needs. There's always fretting about how little Russian forward prospects play (often 40-50 games a year) and yet they end up becoming the most skilled players in the world by putting practice first. If Shane plays 40-50 games this year then that's fine.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think the team will be too good and too deep even in January. It's going to be a struggle for him to get playing time all year if he isn't sent to the OHL. OHL is the clear best choice to my mind.

70 in 964 strikes me as far too low, I'd agree we want it to be higher. But I think people overstate how much a typical player needs. There's always fretting about how little Russian forward prospects play (often 40-50 games a year) and yet they end up becoming the most skilled players in the world by putting practice first. If Shane plays 40-50 games this year then that's fine.
I also think it is important to put scheduling context to that. 40 games is fine if you are practicing for 4 days, then playing a game. Practice 4 days, play a game, repeat.

No prospect has ever excelled in the NHL sittting two weeks, then playing one game. The practicing two weeks play one game just puts WAY too much info into the prospects head that they try to remember every game, and they are thinking about coaching lessons and not processing the game as it happens.

Moderation is the key here.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
puts WAY too much info into the prospects head that they try to remember every game, and they are thinking about coaching lessons and not processing the game as it happens.

For the record, most of what I think they get from practice at that age is improved puck and skating skills. You practice more so that you don't think about it. And Wright still has to improve that stuff significantly to become a great player for us.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
For the record, most of what I think they get from practice at that age is improved puck and skating skills. You practice more so that you don't think about it. And Wright still has to improve that stuff significantly to become a great player for us.
No, I get that and I agree that there is a large element to that, especially in Juniors and college, but I think the NHL is different.

The thing about the NHL is not that the players can skate, shoot, and stick handle much better than other levels, as there are plenty of kids in Juniors that can skate and stickhandle circles around a lot of NHL players, it's the timing and the reaction time of the league that is a different beast.

The intensity and time players have in an NHL practice is quite a bit below game levels. Add in the fact that with heavy NHL schedules, teams don't have full practices nearly as often as lower levels, so it is often rest days or optional skates, which are a poor substitute.

For a prospect like Wright, the coaches are likely also inundating him with defensive details, reads, and positioning, that is a boatload for a young player to process that isn't really put to the test in light practices and drills, so when they do get on the ice in high pressure game situations every couple of weeks, his head is probably spinning,

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No, I get that and I agree that there is a large element to that, especially in Juniors and college, but I think the NHL is different.

The thing about the NHL is not that the players can skate, shoot, and stick handle much better than other levels, as there are plenty of kids in Juniors that can skate and stickhandle circles around a lot of NHL players, it's the timing and the reaction time of the league that is a different beast.

I don't think that's true when it comes to skating. Not many teenagers have the skating to keep up. And a lot of skills are more tactical like how to protect the puck with your shoulders and how to win pucks in the corners, basically the stuff that nhl club's skill coaches teach. I'd hope Wright is mostly working with the skill staff right now, because I would agree that the more meta game stuff that you get from a head coach isn't going to be usable right now.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I was fully against the SW51 plan at about game 10... but now I'm starting to see the long game and I really hope it works out, because it has the potential to. I really do think the "FO" is looking at the complete picture here. This year is a building year for Wright. Give him minutes, but give him time with the right coaches, and perhaps and HOPEFULLY a stint in the AHL for "conditioning" that not only will help him but could also coincide with the LAUNCH OF THE TEAM. Imagine.. THE Shane Wright on his conditioning assignment in Coachella Valley on opening night at home. Yeah.. If I'm within 4 hours drive... I'm there (I'm far from 4 hours from there). He gets that run of games. Gets his legs under him only to move directly to the World Juniors. Plays the hell out of that and in all likelihood wins the f***ing thing... then, back to Seattle.

I'm IN if this happens. If they f*** this up... I might not be as "in" as I was, but I'll remain open minded, because that's what weed and alcohol do to me.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I don't think that's true when it comes to skating. Not many teenagers have the skating to keep up. And a lot of skills are more tactical like how to protect the puck with your shoulders and how to win pucks in the corners, basically the stuff that nhl club's skill coaches teach. I'd hope Wright is mostly working with the skill staff right now, because I would agree that the more meta game stuff that you get from a head coach isn't going to be usable right now.
Well, physically no, they can not match up with adults, but that was a bit of hyperbole to make a point, and it is still true that a lot of teenaged players are flat out better skaters (forward, backward, lateral) than many NHL players, yet they will never make it into the league.

But my point is that what makes the NHL different, is the speed of the reaction time of the players. It is how quickly they process the game, not necessarily their individual high-end tools(those just make them better NHL players). You brought up the russians, and that is a good example - there are a lot of russians that have world-class skating and stickhandling abilities but can not make it in the NHL because the game moves too fast, and they don't process fast enough.

Casual fans see highlight reels of prospects scoring sick goals and assume they are going to be great NHL players, but the one skill that differentiates an NHL player from other pro leagues is not so flashy, it is the ability to receive a pass, read the ice and pass the puck all in a fraction of the time it takes players from other leagues to.

That is the biggest adjustment prospects like Wright have to overcome jumping straight to the NHL. So in an NHL game situation, young kids are dealing with nerves, the speed adjustment, and then trying to pull together all their coaching lessons. That's a whole lot for a guy only playing once every week or two to overcome without more playing time.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I think it could be.

He would get a couple of AHL games(about five) and would then be able to go and play in the world juniors before coming back in the new year.

Though, at that point you do need to find a solution that gets him more games/playing time then what he's getting right now from the Kraken.

BTW;: The thing I would disagree on is the fact that the team might know if they're competing for a playoff spot or not by January.
I do believe, given how other teams are starting to win, that we won't be in second or third place in the pacific by that time, but I do think the team will be able to collect enough wins to be still "within reach" at that point.

But of course it's up to Francis to decide where this team is at and what to do going into the second half of the season and the TDL.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.
There's always going to be injuries(Oleksiak's the first guy) especially with a couple of the injury prone forwards we've got.

I also think that if keeping him up is the plan the team, at some point, needs to make a decision on getting him playing time during the season.
And by that I don't mean about eight minutes every third game or so.

Reactions: The Marquis

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2