Rumor: Jets interested in Subban?

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Out 403*

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/01/2...m-george-mcphee-feeling-head-after-slow-start

RUMOURS DU JOUR

After Montreal GM Marc Bergevin sat down with agent Don Meehan for a meeting Friday, the future of Habs blueliner P.K. Subban is all the rage. [...] If the Habs decide to deal Subban, Detroit, Philadelphia and the Rangers will make a push. But sources insist there is a surprise candidate that could have the assets to acquire Subban -- the Winnipeg Jets. League sources say GM Kevin Cheveldayoff wants to make a splash to get an impact player.

I would love PK in a Jets uniform. He's a very dynamic young D man on the rise, just a little weary about who they would want back. Likely not a small price tag.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/01/2...m-george-mcphee-feeling-head-after-slow-start

I would love PK in a Jets uniform. He's a very dynamic young D man on the rise, just a little weary about who they would want back. Likely not a small price tag.

As I said in the other thread, I wouldn't want to give up what the Habs would want to get Subban. We are talking about a part of our core for a guy who, while is immensely talented, might not fit in with the culture the team is trying to build.

Putting that aside, If the Habs are asking for Bogo, Enstrom, Buff, Trouba, Kane, the answer IMHO is absolutely not. If, however, the package includes Burmistrov, Scheifele, or Little, I would have to consider it depending on the other players/ assets involved. If they wanted Wheeler I would really be on the fence.

Chances are, though, they don't want any of those players. They would most likely want Bogosian or Kane and I say no thanks.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

This smacks as coming from a Montreal source rather than Winnipeg. The reporter is speculating the Jets have the assets to get a deal done, not that the Jets have expressed an interest in doing a deal nor that they are in any discussions. Sounds more like Montreal are trying to move him versus any expression from the Jets regarding trying to acquire him.

Rumour: Montreal wants to move a player. News at 11.

White Out 403*

Thorburn Schefeille and a 1st for Subban? Seems like a high price but for a proven dynamic D man? I think I'd pay that.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
If the Jets wanted him, why not just sign him to an offer sheet and give up a first and third round draft pick? Those assets have less value than anything the Habs would be asking for in a trade. Any offer sheet would be lower than $5,046,585 per year, and that's all the compensation we'd lose.

No big deal, especially if the Jets are a playoff team with Subban and Bogosian down the stretch.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If the Jets wanted him, why not just sign him to an offer sheet and give up future draft picks? Those assets have less value than anything the Habs would be asking for in a trade.

...Good point.

I could deal with a 1st/2nd/3rd in one year if it meant getting a guy who is already a borderline star that still has room to improve.

Habs fans would love us. :D

6/7 years, 5 mil per. Habs would match in all likelihood.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
It depends on how much Subban wants. I think Montreal would accept most offer sheet terms.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
It depends on how much Subban wants. I think Montreal would accept most offer sheet terms.

Montreal is refusing to budge off a short term deal worth $2.4 and $2.9 million per. That's not a lot of money at all. But if that's their philosophy, there is no way they'd match an offer sheet for $4+.

White Out 403*

Trouba + Cormier + 1st?

As much as I like Trouba, I would give him up if it meant getting Subban.

Trouba, imo, is a superstar defenceman in the making. I wouldn't trade him. I think he's going to be the guy who anchors our defender.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Trouba, imo, is a superstar defenceman in the making. I wouldn't trade him. I think he's going to be the guy who anchors our defender.

There have been many super stars in the making that gave flopped.

There aren't many prospects that I would bet on being better than Subban because most won't ever get there.

I like Trouba, but there is no such thing as a sure thing.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
We've never had a D prospect like Trouba, he's going nowhere.

Subban thinks he's a superstar, fact is he is not and never going to be but he can be very important when hes not trying to do to much. In Wpg we wouldn't need him to be the offensive force he was trying to in MTL, he'll never be better than Buff and Toby here.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
There have been many super stars in the making that gave flopped.

There aren't many prospects that I would bet on being better than Subban because most won't ever get there.

I like Trouba, but there is no such thing as a sure thing.

I love Trouba and though I am on the fence on whether or not I would want to see us trade him in a Subban deal, I think you make great points. On top of that, Subban is extremely young in his own right at just 23 and only 2 years NHL experience under his belt.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Thorburn Schefeille and a 1st for Subban? Seems like a high price but for a proven dynamic D man? I think I'd pay that.

See, I don't think I would. The amount of money we would have to pay him compared to the amount of minutes he'd get (with our already stacked D) wouldn't really equate.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Over-rated and over-priced player. I don't think he's that bad ... and I don't have anything against him ... but he's built up his name using TV appearances (mostly off the ice) and is trying to cash in on that right now; hence over-rated and over-priced. Bad deal from a hockey side going after this guy right now, I'm sure most GM's can see this.

White Out 403*

See, I don't think I would. The amount of money we would have to pay him compared to the amount of minutes he'd get (with our already stacked D) wouldn't really equate.

I'm not sure I'd consider our defence stacked. Bogosian+Subban, Byfuglien+Enstrom, Hainsey+Postma. That's a great defence. Eventually Trouba would enter that equation and replace Hainsey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad