GDT: Jets host the Caps @ 7:00pm CST

Status
Not open for further replies.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
It all could work. I think that even if it does, it will not be optimizing the 12 F who he is going to play. But that is just my opinion. Obviously Maurice knows a lot more about hockey than I do. I just question how he applies that knowledge. I think bizarre is the best word for it.

Maurice knows a lot about hockey.

But how the tools for the analysis of the game have gone on, I would be surprised if he was the top dog anymore.

I hope he trusts his team, and trusts his own fallibility.

I hope this doesn't sound arrogant but I have extremely high IQ, and I'm wrong ALL the time (my social intelligence is low to pay for it). Like it's not even funny how wrong the smartest people are.

What I'm saying is, I hope CSW is put together for another reason that "I'm sure it will work this time".

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Copp has good numbers, but he has always been a perfect example of why P/60 sucks. TOI and points isn't linear. If Copp could play 20 minutes a night against a fourth line, maybe his points go up. Playing more minutes at 2C stalls him out. His P/60 indicates his current usage is probably ideal.

Eakin has cleared 20 goals before, that's probably the driving factor. That and his performance with the Jets skilled wingers is unknown, whereas Copp is pretty much known. I don't see Eakin or Copp succeeding there. Moving Wheeler out of that spot at the same time that Little got shutdown for the season is a mystery, even if he isn't an ideal C either.
Copp has mostly his numbers from playing on a checking line with Lowry, Tanev over the last few years. Eakin, last year, was playing top-6 for long stretches for Vegas and riding a sky high SH%. We'll see.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Line ups updated as per NHL.com & Parody song in on OP from my lunch break.

car-two-wheels-tire-change-like-a-boss-13610168856.gif

Last edited:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I'm just hoping the D steps it up and plays out of their minds and limits the defensive zone time. As long as they can do that and move the puck up to the forwards, I more or less have confidence that the forwards can do their part and give us a chance. Can't attack if you never have the puck and you're always defending the neutral zone, or own, until your next change. I know forwards have coverage and retrieval responsibilities of their own, but I always like to preach that (somewhat clichéd I know) offense comes from defense. Break up the rush. Get the puck back. Move it up to your forwards. If it goes deep, win the board battle. Get the puck back. Move it up to your forwards. Rinse and repeat!

Pionk, Demelo, and Kuli have to shine tonight. Poolman has to not get walked. The other two...just survive.

survive.gif

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We should expect those types of results to continue forever. ;)

As long as Boston drafts 3 times in front of us. I doubt that happens this year. :laugh:

Amazing that they can draft and trade as badly as they do and still contend year after year. Boston, that is. :laugh:

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Copp has mostly his numbers from playing on a checking line with Lowry, Tanev over the last few years. Eakin, last year, was playing top-6 for long stretches for Vegas and riding a sky high SH%. We'll see.
I'd imagine Eakin should be playing bottom 6 as well.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Maurice knows a lot about hockey.

But how the tools for the analysis of the game have gone on, I would be surprised if he was the top dog anymore.

I hope he trusts his team, and trusts his own fallibility.

I hope this doesn't sound arrogant but I have extremely high IQ, and I'm wrong ALL the time (my social intelligence is low to pay for it). Like it's not even funny how wrong the smartest people are.

What I'm saying is, I hope CSW is put together for another reason that "I'm sure it will work this time".

I have a high IQ too. I wouldn't say that I'm wrong ALL the time. Just ALL the times that I disagree with my low IQ wife. :laugh: Sometimes I wonder about the value of IQ tests. :laugh:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
As long as Boston drafts 3 times in front of us. I doubt that happens this year. :laugh:

Amazing that they can draft and trade as badly as they do and still contend year after year. Boston, that is. :laugh:

Given that they do contend year after year, perhaps we are mistaken in our assessment of how well they draft and trade. They clearly value different characteristics in their players than we do in ours. Could you see KFC on the Bruins? I can't.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Eakins is at .83 g/60 5v5 over the past two seasons but if you want to shrink the sample to try to make a point, he’s over 10 p/60 while playing with Ehlers and Laine
Are you suggesting 60 games (this season) is not relevant and a decent sample size?
And then you go on to include Eakin's career season in Vegas riding an unsustainable 18.09 SH%, but not the previous ones? (hint: Numbers are lower in the previous four seasons)
That's pretty disingenuous.

Also, do you find it funny to include 1.5 games with Ehlers, Laine as a sample size with the Jets this season?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Copp has good numbers, but he has always been a perfect example of why P/60 sucks. TOI and points isn't linear. If Copp could play 20 minutes a night against a fourth line, maybe his points go up. Playing more minutes at 2C stalls him out. His P/60 indicates his current usage is probably ideal.
I wouldn't say P/60 sucks. It's pretty much the best stat we have to compare production between players with different TOI. Obviously, TOI and points isn't linear, but it can go both ways. Some improve their production pace with more minutes (more in tune with the rhythm of the game?), while some see their production rate decrease with more TOI (endurance?). It's very different from player to player.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Eakins is at .83 g/60 5v5 over the past two seasons but if you want to shrink the sample to try to make a point, he’s over 10 p/60 while playing with Ehlers and Laine
Eakins had a career year last year at 5v5 shooting with a Shooting % of 18.09%. he was a career 9.2% going into that year and is at 6.52% currently. Seems to me last year is skewing it heavily

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I have a high IQ too. I wouldn't say that I'm wrong ALL the time. Just ALL the times that I disagree with my low IQ wife. :laugh: Sometimes I wonder about the value of IQ tests. :laugh:

Hah, you are a high Diplomacy person as well :laugh:

Actually I believe you about having high IQ based on your posts. I think the trick is not to trust yourself even if you have that, because "high IQ" means nothing when among smart apes. There are many traps that "high-IQ people" fall into. That makes them sorta dumb in a different way.

"Wisdom" is when you know that you can trust nothing that you believe or anything else that anyone else believes.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Given that they do contend year after year, perhaps we are mistaken in our assessment of how well they draft and trade. They clearly value different characteristics in their players than we do in ours. Could you see KFC on the Bruins? I can't.

Peter Chiarelli (GM) and coach Julien were both fired (2015, 2016) after the Bruins missed the playoffs in 2014 and 2015. Yet the makeup of the Bruins hasn't changed too much and looks very similar, and a lot of their guys were drafted under Chiarelli's watch (or before, like Bergeron). I'd attribute their success in the last 3 years to the emergence of Pasternak and the longevity of their corp, rather than to the skill of Don Sweeney.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Actually I believe you about having high IQ based on your posts. I think the trick is not to trust yourself even if you have that, because "high IQ" means nothing when among smart apes. There are many traps that "high-IQ people" fall into. That makes them sorta dumb in a different way.

"Wisdom" is when you know that you can trust nothing that you believe or anything else that anyone else believes.

I like this post. Yes I do.

Always remember that half the people in the city (or any comparably large measure of population) are below average intelligence, no matter how you measure it. That always makes me sad but then I drink more and I'm happy. Mostly because alcohol has functionally lowered my intelligence (or maybe raised it, hard to tell) and I fit right in with society. :cheers:

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I like this post. Yes I do.

Always remember that half the people in the city (or any comparably large measure of population) are below average intelligence, no matter how you measure it. That always makes me sad but then I drink more and I'm happy. Mostly because alcohol has functionally lowered my intelligence (or maybe raised it, hard to tell) and I fit right in with society. :cheers:

Intelligence is a strong word, because for me a high IQ made me a very lazy person when I was growing up, and being lazy is not very intelligent even if you have a high IQ. I think you need good parents to set you up with goals so that you have something to aim for. It's not great that you can kind of half-ass your way through the school system without goals. It does not build character.

I know many super-high-IQ persons that drink all the time and do little else. That is not intelligent behavior.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
So a little more than a week after Chevy gets a decent new D guy on the roster, we're in worse shape than we've been in all year on D. Awesome, lol...

Reactions: sipowicz

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Totally off topic but if anyone's watching the game tonight on TV they may be able to answer a question for me.

There is a quick commercial which promotes a Jets web channel and it shows four people dressed (for Halloween?) as characters from the Incredibles animated movies.

Who are the two players in the center? I'm presuming that the two hot babes with them are wives or girlfriends, but who are the players? Mrs. Moose opines that the player standing is Laine, but I'm not so sure. Does anyone know who is in the photo?

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

Membership in the Mensa Society is limited to those in the top two percent of intelligence.

When I joined the Society, I was welcomed with the phrase: "Congratulations, now you can be wrong in ways that 98% of your friends would never think of."

And yes, that was before I met the amazing Mrs. Moose.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Wisdom is a whole 'nother category of intelligence, not measured by IQ tests. It doesn't come without humility, IMO. :laugh:

No matter how much you may trust your own judgement and opinions you have to always be aware of the probability of being wrong. I try to take my mistakes as learning opportunities, although that is sometimes hard to do - if I over-commit.

Reactions: grieves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad