Signing(s): Jets hire Robert Saleh as their next head coach

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Good hire, and package with LaFleur. The guys from the wide-zone aka Shanahan/Kubiack coaching tree seem to be doing quite well early on (Kevin Stefanski, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, Matt LaFleur), and Saleh is an excellent defensive coach. Granted if Mike LaFleur turns around the Jets offence, he's going to be getting a ton of interviews in a year or two.

Now the question is, do they believe they can fix Darnold in this offensive system or are they going Wilson or Fields at 2.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

So, what team is going to pay the ransom to move up to 2? Sewell, Chase, Parsons, Smith, and Waddle are all great prospects, but it seems to make the most sense to maximize value by trading down.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Anything Jets feels like an uphill battle, but they're adding quality staff today. Also nice that it diminishes a division rival.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009

So, what team is going to pay the ransom to move up to 2? Sewell, Chase, Parsons, Smith, and Waddle are all great prospects, but it seems to make the most sense to maximize value by trading down.

Sewell is the best OT prospect since Thomas. You can't pass on that.

Reactions: Voight

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That’s up for debate. If you pull in another top 10 pick (say Broncos at 9) plus a ton of future draft capital you have to consider it. The Jets have huge holes throughout their entire roster plus already have an LT for the future (their primary building blocks are Quinnen and Becton).

Moving down to 9 and getting one of Pitts, Smith, Waddel or Chase is big. Pitts may be ideal given how Douglas comes from the Eagles and Saleh/LaFleur have first hand experience with a game changing TE in Kittle.

If they take Sewell it will be like Chase Young going 2 last year or Myles
Garrett going 1 in 2017. They are unlikely to really regret it, they may be getting a long-term All-Pro at a valued position, but maximized value is big. It also likely creates a run on QBs where 3 or 4 go before picking at 9, leaving one of the top 6 non-QBs (Sewell, Parsons, Waddle, Smith, Chase and Pitts).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What have teams recently given up to move up to grab a non QB? NO moved a future first to go up 10 plus spots to get a DE but that was from the 20’s to like 13/14 OA.

you are probably looking at a 2nd round pick if you drop down from 2 to 8-10.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It all depends on the QB. If many team like Atlanta, Philly, Detroit, SF, Denver, Minnesota or Carolina really want their QB and they are willing to trade up, it seems obvious that the Jets would listen.

If none of then come forward with a decent deal there are significant chances that the Jets stand pat and go BPA with Sewell.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What have teams recently given up to move up to grab a non QB? NO moved a future first to go up 10 plus spots to get a DE but that was from the 20’s to like 13/14 OA.

you are probably looking at a 2nd round pick if you drop down from 2 to 8-10.
Buffalo traded the Browns a future first in 2014 to move up for Sammy Watkins to get to 4 from 9 in 2014.

To move up to 3 from 6 the Jets traded 3 2nd rounders (granted it was for Darnold). If the Jets trade down, the highest bid will likely be from a team wanting Fields or Wilson. They'll likely get a top 10 pick and a future first, plus a 3rd or something, or 3 second-round picks. Draftek has the 2nd overall pick as worth 2600 points, and the 9th pick for example as worth 1350. So a gap of about 1250 points, which is more than double the value of the 33rd pick for example. They'll be looking for a Wentz type haul to move down to 8-10, which got Cleveland an 8th, 77th and 100th in 2016, plus a 2017 1st and 2nd (while Cleveland sent back a 4th round comp pick or 5th rounder). If someone is trading up to 2, its hard to see it be for anyone but a QB, but there are 2 QBs clearly in the discussion as being worthy of going #2 in this draft. Both Jets and Miami are in a position to collect a ransom.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
If anybody can turn the Jets around it's this guy...glad to see him going to the AFC.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I absolutely love the makeup of this team now. The offense should quickly transition into a Shanahan Zone Run scheme offense with tons of PA under Lafleur. The defense will obviously be better under Saleh. I am still interested in seeing who Saleh has in mind for DC. If it was a 49'er he would have been named already. Maybe Aaron Glenn who was interviewed for HC. DC is still an upgrade from DB coach.

Last edited:

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Mike LaFleur in at OC is a great get for them, the west coast offence seems to be the future in the NFL. This could even elevate Darnold to around an average QB but like... they should probably get LaFleur an upgrade to maximize his effectiveness.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I absolutely love the makeup of this team now. The offense should quickly transition into a Shanahan Zone Run scheme offense with tons of PA under Lafleur. The defense will obviously be better under Saleh. I am still interested in seeing who Saleh has in mind for DC. If it was a 49'er he would have been named already. Maybe Aaron Glenn who was interviewed for HC. DC is still an upgrade from DB coach.
Defensive coordinators who get head jobs often go with themselves as the coordinator (maybe by force) and delegate more responsibilities and hopefully earn enough clout to oversee the program as opposed to actually coaching. Doesn't mean it has to happen here, but you hire a guy for defense, he should be as close to it as possible. Eventually you just promote someone to the spot either to reward them or because you want to stop him from getting hired somewhere else.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Defensive coordinators who get head jobs often go with themselves as the coordinator (maybe by force) and delegate more responsibilities and hopefully earn enough clout to oversee the program as opposed to actually coaching. Doesn't mean it has to happen here, but you hire a guy for defense, he should be as close to it as possible. Eventually you just promote someone to the spot either to reward them or because you want to stop him from getting hired somewhere else.
I don't think he was necessarily hired for his defense though, they have used the term CEO head coach multiple times. Aaron Glenn is the DB coach for the Saints, a perfect guy to mold.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
That’s up for debate. If you pull in another top 10 pick (say Broncos at 9) plus a ton of future draft capital you have to consider it. The Jets have huge holes throughout their entire roster plus already have an LT for the future (their primary building blocks are Quinnen and Becton).

Moving down to 9 and getting one of Pitts, Smith, Waddel or Chase is big. Pitts may be ideal given how Douglas comes from the Eagles and Saleh/LaFleur have first hand experience with a game changing TE in Kittle.

If they take Sewell it will be like Chase Young going 2 last year or Myles
Garrett going 1 in 2017. They are unlikely to really regret it, they may be getting a long-term All-Pro at a valued position, but maximized value is big. It also likely creates a run on QBs where 3 or 4 go before picking at 9, leaving one of the top 6 non-QBs (Sewell, Parsons, Waddle, Smith, Chase and Pitts).

As a fan of WFT i can 100% tell you that they or us fans regret that choice 1 bit. If they decide not to go QB you have to go BPA and take Sewell to stabalize the left side of the line for the next decade is huge. If darnold fails atleast you have a line that can protect the next rookie qb you decide to bring in

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As a fan of WFT i can 100% tell you that they or us fans regret that choice 1 bit. If they decide not to go QB you have to go BPA and take Sewell to stabalize the left side of the line for the next decade is huge. If darnold fails atleast you have a line that can protect the next rookie qb you decide to bring in
I cheer for the Browns and don’t regret taking Myles either (he’s an all-pro at one of the most valuable non-QB positions). Although this drafts QBs seem to have more hype than any year in recent memory (2018 was hyped but didn’t have a Lawrence) so the auction for the 2nd overall pick is huge.

Big thing is they already have Becton who looks really good and obviously one of the two could move to RT and give you potentially two elite tackles. But, I do think the play for the Jets is to move to 8 or 9, and hope that trading to a team that will draft a QB might create a run if Dolphins trade down too that leads to Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and Lance all off the board by the time they pick giving them still one of the top non-QB players possibly even Sewell (although hard to see him getting past Cincinnati).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think the only current head coaches who are the defensive play callers are Vrabel and Belichick. I wouldn’t be shocked if Saleh hires a defensive co-ordinator but remains the primary play caller on that side of the ball.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think the only current head coaches who are the defensive play callers are Vrabel and Belichick. I wouldn’t be shocked if Saleh hires a defensive co-ordinator but remains the primary play caller on that side of the ball.
I believe Belichick’s son was the playcaller this year. I’m not sure the last time Bill did it. Both of his sons are on the staff.

Reactions: John Price

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I believe Belichick’s son was the playcaller this year. I’m not sure the last time Bill did it. Both of his sons are on the staff.
Fair, I saw a list on Twitter earlier this week of coaches who called plays on either side and saw Vrabel and Belichick listed. So, it could be faulty information.

I don't know why a team wouldn't hire a Defensive co-ordinator though even if they have a head coach calling the D like Vrabel. Seems like an easy way to give someone a title that would allow you to poach a position coach who couldn't make a lateral move. I think the only head coach who has the offensive co-ordinator title is Kingsbury.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I think the Jets will still recover a 2nd for Darnold which likely picks up a pretty good IOL. Go hard towards Thurny and you are starting to work towards really improving the Oline.

You have to change the QB, history isn't in the favor of Darnold improving much after 3 shit years to start his career. Fields doesn't fit the Shanahan West Coast offense so that makes the decision of Wilson quite simple.

We need some RBs, that probably involves signing Jeff Wilson and drafting a guy like Sermon in the 3rd round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad