Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I haven’t seen WAR numbers by XPM hates Risto. He has the largest negative defensive impact in the NHL. Part of that is ice time related due to a negative /60 number and a LOT of ice time.

I’d be interested to see Pesce, I was poking around Slavin’s XPM numbers and got curious why it views him as replacement level defensively when more traditional Corsi based analytics suggests he’s really good defensively. What I think is happening is that XPM things the defensive play is a lot better than the other pairs but a large part of that is other pairings being bad defensively and that on the Pesce/Slavin pairing it’s attributing the defensive play of the pair to Pesce not Slavin.

If this is the case WAR should like Pesce a lot, particularly on the defensive side.

Risto is interesting he is so big and physical and puts up so many power play points I think he tends to get overrated.

Jets1975

Dec 9, 2011
Bill Watters on The Roundtable, saying that Chevy turned down a trade for MAF in exchange for a 2nd round pick earlier in the year. Am I rehashing old news? I don't remember hearing anything bout this. But, if it is true :shakehead.............................

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Bill Watters on The Roundtable, saying that Chevy turned down a trade for MAF in exchange for a 2nd round pick earlier in the year. Am I rehashing old news? I don't remember hearing anything bout this. But, if it is true :shakehead.............................

Why would Chevy take MAF for a 2nd, and then risk losing Helly to expansion?

Right now I wouldn't take MAF for free.

Any trade for a goalie before the expansion draft is silly IMO. Especially if they view Hellebyuck as the future goaltender of the Jets.

Jets1975

Dec 9, 2011

Any trade for a goalie before the expansion draft is silly IMO. Especially if they view Hellebyuck as the future goaltender of the Jets.

Right, expansion draft. Keep forgetting bout that shxt. That would then make sense.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

It isn't quite that simple. It is the NMC that rules out MAF. If we could still get Halak for Hutch it would make sense. We expose Halak, not Helle. If he was taken we are through the XD for the loss of Hutch. :)

Unfortunately I doubt Halak is still available given how he has played since being waived. :(

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
It isn't quite that simple. It is the NMC that rules out MAF. If we could still get Halak for Hutch it would make sense. We expose Halak, not Helle. If he was taken we are through the XD for the loss of Hutch. :)

Unfortunately I doubt Halak is still available given how he has played since being waived. :(

Well, why trade any goalie for Hutch if you are just going to expose that goalie anyways? Any goalie worth getting would be a decent target for Vegas (if they are dead-set on protecting Helle). As we sit, it's probably best to wait out the XD and then find our goalie.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Agreed. Although if MAF was willing to waive to come here, I would have wanted to know if Chevy asked MAF if he was willing to waive to go to Vegas.

Because at that point, we could have moved the 2nd and had a full year with MAF, and likely made the playoffs. If MAF is taken in expansion, all we lost is really the 2nd round pick.

If he wouldn't waive for expansion, then it's moot, but if he would've......I'd be upset we turned that down.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Agreed. Although if MAF was willing to waive to come here, I would have wanted to know if Chevy asked MAF if he was willing to waive to go to Vegas.

Because at that point, we could have moved the 2nd and had a full year with MAF, and likely made the playoffs. If MAF is taken in expansion, all we lost is really the 2nd round pick.

If he wouldn't waive for expansion, then it's moot, but if he would've......I'd be upset we turned that down.

True enough, I had not considered that. I would have also given away our 2nd for a playoff birth.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well, why trade any goalie for Hutch if you are just going to expose that goalie anyways? Any goalie worth getting would be a decent target for Vegas (if they are dead-set on protecting Helle). As we sit, it's probably best to wait out the XD and then find our goalie.

Because exposing him doesn't mean they will take him. As it appeared at the time Halak was put on waivers LV wouldn't likely have taken him.

Even if that trade were done today it isn't cut and dried that they would take him. They are going to have a lot of goalies available and might well prefer some other player from us. And like I said, if they did take him we have come through the XD very cheaply.

But that was just a hypothetical that almost certainly isn't available anymore. We could have picked up Halak for free on waivers at that time. Waive Hutch. No way he would have been claimed the way he had played to that point.

Expose both Hutch and Halak to the XD. If Halak had been lights out for us since being picked up and LV took him we would have done the XD for a waiver pickup. There just isn't a down side here.

All that said it is much simpler to wait until after the XD and sign a UFA goalie.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Yeah, sure.

MAF waived his NMC to come to Winnipeg instead of staying with the Pens for a Stanley Cup run.
:shakehead
I call "road apples" on this one.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah, sure.

MAF waived his NMC to come to Winnipeg instead of staying with the Pens for a Stanley Cup run.

Considering we heard he turned down a deal to Calgary fat chance he would have come to Winnipeg.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

That guy is such a dinosaur

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Yeah, sure.

Rutherford and waters are best friends if he said that then its true. waters said trouba wanted trade last year before anybody cause his good buddy told him his agent was making the calls to all the gms. waters also said that Carolina was taking scheifele at draft which was later confirmed by there reaction at the table when jets took schefele. anything to do with Rutherford that bill waters says is gospel.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
It's one thing to say that the Pens would trade MAF for a 2nd, it's another for Fluery to accept the trade...

Would we have taken MAF for a year, and risk Vegas taking him (I'd assume hte trade would waive the NMC)

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Rutherford and waters are best friends if he said that then its true. waters said trouba wanted trade last year before anybody cause his good buddy told him his agent was making the calls to all the gms. waters also said that Carolina was taking scheifele at draft which was later confirmed by there reaction at the table when jets took schefele. anything to do with Rutherford that bill waters says is gospel.

Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad