Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Even if Petan plays most of the season in the AHL he will have every opportunity to succeed since he is now surrounded by some good talent there. If his development curve is on pace, he should really start dominating now.
But, I've been pretty critical of his development pace since his draft +1 year. (Just to be clear, I was thrilled when we picked him). As a 17-18 year old he was already dominant in the WHL and he didn't progress much after that. It's a bit if a red flag but he was so good so young that maybe he didn't have as much room to grow as others. But, if he doesn't show much improvement this year, surrounded by a lot more offensive talent, then his development curse should be up for serious discussion.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He had the best pt/gp on the Moose by a large margin?

Yup, and matched Nylander in points as percentage of team's goals. Petan is good, but will need an opening to play with skilled linemates in the NHL.

Last edited:

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015

It's like most people are completely blind to this. Had the moose been a decent team at best, with more than 1 capable puck moving D man, petan would have been at least PPG IMO. And that's just his first year playing pro. His development is not an issue like so many on here keep bringing up.

Throw nic on last year's Marlies team and he would have scored similar if not better than what nylander and all those guys put up. easily

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
Higher than Laine and Connor? No, sorry. Absolutely not.

In what way is Petan NOT being treated as more NHL ready than Roslovic? Roslo is playing centre because he is in school for the position not because he is seen as more NHL ready. If Petan is as good as you say he will be dominant in the A and he will move up, one way or another.

Yes he could do fine in any of those positions but he can't do better than the players who are in them now except possibly Connor who is being given some time to adapt. If he doesn't start coming around over the next 8-10 games he may well go down. In which case it may well be Petan who comes up - if he is playing well.

They are not going to waive players so they can bring up Petan, Dano and Copp. That was never in the cards. It was a big step to waive Pav and Peluso and to PB Thor and Stu. That's not even in the 'baby steps' category. There will be injuries and those guys will get called up. There may yet be a trade opening up a position or two.

Yes absolutely, petan will be 22 soon and these guys are 18 and 19 years old.

I wasn't saying he was being treated less ready than roslovic, I thought that's what you were saying. But honestly, I don't see why they wouldn't keep him at C on the moose. The transition to the wing is much easier than going from W to C if he needed to do that with the jets. If the organization sees De Leo as a C, I really don't understand why they don't see Nic as one too.

Not sure why you think he can't do better.. like I said, he's more NHL ready than both of them at this point.

And lastly, this is the biggest problem. Why aren't they doing just that? It is the most logical thing after all. Waive and trade all the trash I don't see the problem here. We had a chance to ice a much more competitive roster and instead, they can't fully commit to doing what they sort of started doing with pavelec.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015

I wasn't saying he was being treated less ready than roslovic, I thought that's what you were saying. But honestly, I don't see why they wouldn't keep him at C on the moose. The transition to the wing is much easier than going from W to C if he needed to do that with the jets. If the organization sees De Leo as a C, I really don't understand why they don't see Nic as one too.

Not sure why you think he can't do better.. like I said, he's more NHL ready than both of them at this point.

And lastly, this is the biggest problem. Why aren't they doing just that? It is the most logical thing after all. Waive and trade all the trash I don't see the problem here. We had a chance to ice a much more competitive roster and instead, they can't fully commit to doing what they sort of started doing with pavelec.

Maybe this is the reason?

Craig’s List: Nolan Patrick stands above the rest

nolan-patrick.jpg

There are a number of very good players available in the 2017 NHL Draft, but Nolan Patrick of the Brandon Wheat Kings is a franchise centre and superior talent who stands alone at No. 1.

Patrick stepped into the WHL two seasons ago and has shown that he has all the capabilities to be the top centre teams covet. The 6-foot-3, 195-pound pivot was named WHL Rookie of the Year in 2015 after scoring 30 goals and racking up 56 points in 55 games. He was awarded MVP of the 2016 WHL playoffs, following up a 102-point regular season with 30 points in 21 postseason games.

This is an older article but if interested you can read the rest here:

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-nolan-patrick-stands-above-the-rest-1.566071

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Thay are not trash. They are assets. They don't want to lose them to waivers and it takes time and a partner to trade anyone.

They should have traded Stafford. That would have opened a spot for a RW. Petan isn't one of those. Burmi is getting his last chance. If he doesn't turn it around soon he and Petan may swap places. Petan isn't being damaged by playing for the Moose. One way or another he will soon get his chance. Patience.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Mortimer Snerd how would the Jets go about drafting Nolan Patrick if you were top dog in decision making?

Please include ("Stupid is as stupid does") into your scenario :D

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Mortimer Snerd how would the Jets go about drafting Nolan Patrick if you were top dog in decision making?

Please include ("Stupid is as stupid does") into your scenario :D

Finish 1 point out of the play-offs and win with that 1% ticket. :) Sorry, nothing stupid about that.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

Petan 32 pts in 47 games
Lipon 30 pts in 45 games.

That's pretty close to identical.

Lipon 13 goals
Petan 9

Lipon 102 shots
Petan 89

While I'm not saying that Lipon is better than Petan by any means, it's pretty tough to say that Petan had the best pt/gp on the Moose BY A LARGE MARGIN.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Petan 32 pts in 47 games
Lipon 30 pts in 45 games.

That's pretty close to identical.

Lipon 13 goals
Petan 9

Lipon 102 shots
Petan 89

While I'm not saying that Lipon is better than Petan by any means, it's pretty tough to say that Petan had the best pt/gp on the Moose BY A LARGE MARGIN.

Sorry. I was meaning ES Pt/GP... that said, that is still very good, especially considering it was Petan's rookie year and I think some underrate what Lipon has done.

Who was next after Lipon after the regulars.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Sorry. I was meaning ES Pt/GP... that said, that is still very good, especially considering it was Petan's rookie year and I think some underrate what Lipon has done.

Who was next after Lipon after the regulars.

Kichton and DeLeo were next. Quite a ways back.

My hope is that Petan would be very close to a point per game player this year with the talent that is around him now. But it is true that it can often take smaller players a bit longer (22 or 23) until they figure out how to be consistently productive at the NHL level.

When was the last time our AHL team had a pt/G player?

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Kichton and DeLeo were next. Quite a ways back.

My hope is that Petan would be very close to a point per game player this year with the talent that is around him now. But it is true that it can often take smaller players a bit longer (22 or 23) until they figure out how to be consistently productive at the NHL level.

When was the last time our AHL team had a pt/G player?

Looks like it's been done once: Eric O'Dell 42 in 42 in 2013/14.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The Jets should sign Temu Selanne- $ 3 mill per yr

I think the Jets should sign Selanne- he's just in his
early 40's and would score 20 goals. Ed Olyszk was
saying after the alumni game that he can still play. He
would be a great help to fellow Finn- Patrik Laine, and
also give confidence to the young players. Pay him like
$3,000,000 mil a year. He'd bring a winning attitude to
the team, and be a big help. He's still in great shape.
The Jets brought back Serge Savard a long time ago under
GM- John Ferguson for the same reason. Also look at how
well Jagr is doing in his 40's. I'd like to see this, if Selanne
would agree to a comeback. ( 1-2 year contract) He's still good!!!

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I think the Jets should sign Selanne- he's just in his
early 40's and would score 20 goals. Ed Olyszk was
saying after the alumni game that he can still play. He
would be a great help to fellow Finn- Patrik Laine, and
also give confidence to the young players. Pay him like
$3,000,000 mil a year. He'd bring a winning attitude to
the team, and be a big help. He's still in great shape.
The Jets brought back Serge Savard a long time ago under
GM- John Ferguson for the same reason. Also look at how
well Jagr is doing in his 40's. I'd like to see this, if Selanne
would agree to a comeback. ( 1-2 year contract) He's still good!!!

Selanne retired. Not because he sucks. He felt like it was time to spend his time with his family instead of playing NHL hockey after more than enough years. He achieved everything he wanted.

There is no freaking way he'd move to Winnipeg for a couple of million euro (which he probably has more than enough of) for another season or even multiple season, just to mentor Patrick Laine and get back to playing professional hockey after he reitred and his family probably loves to finally have him around every day.

Sorry I don't mean to be offensive but it's very naive to think he'd want to leave them in California to play another rather meaningless one or two seasons just to mentor someone :laugh:

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Selanne played great against a bunch of out of shape 50 somethings, but let's be realistic. He's not coming back nor should he, he is living a comfortable life in California with his family. He is obviously a mentor to Laine (and many other Finnish players), but having him playing would probably hamper Laine's development. He's all but anointed as the Jets next superstar, how would having to actually play in Selanne's shadow help him at all?

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Is mcbain someone they should consider claiming on waivers? He was pretty good on Carolina if I remember correctly.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Is mcbain someone they should consider claiming on waivers? He was pretty good on Carolina if I remember correctly.

I've seen lots of him recently as he's been with LA last couple years. He's a good skater and makes a solid breakout pass. But he is not great positionally and does not have very good offensive instincts. He is a lesser Paul Postma. Too similiar in style to Postma to be an effective pair with him and also a RHD like Postma so would have to move sides to replace Chiarot or Stuart.

So no I wouldn't put a claim in for him if I was WPG. He's a fine 7/8 defenseman but as a RHD and with Chiarot already around I don't see a need from Winnipeg. What they need a true bottom pairing LHD to pair with Postma.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
chychrun + strome for trouba is the best possible return i think, all things considered. expansion draft included

Chevy will not get another D similar in age and ability. He needs to focus on getting the best D prospect he can. chychrun has really impressed and is basically playing like an 18 year old trouba. would do this trade in a second

Nov 24, 2006
chychrun + strome for trouba is the best possible return i think, all things considered. expansion draft included

Chevy will not get another D similar in age and ability. He needs to focus on getting the best D prospect he can. chychrun has really impressed and is basically playing like an 18 year old trouba. would do this trade in a second

I'm certain that Trouba does not get you those two. In fact, I don't think it gets you Chychrun by himself. Would you make that trade if you were Arizona? He's 4 years younger than Trouba, is NHL ready as an 18 year old, and he's not a headache. Arizona would be stupid to make that trade.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
I'm certain that Trouba does not get you those two. In fact, I don't think it gets you Chychrun by himself. Would you make that trade if you were Arizona? He's 4 years younger than Trouba, is NHL ready as an 18 year old, and he's not a headache. Arizona would be stupid to make that trade.

you're probably right. just feel like thats the best chevy could hope for at this point. and most ideal

WpgJetz

Sep 26, 2016
Trouba for Hamonic (Hamonic wants to come home)and a 2nd round pick. Grab Mciirth on waivers to bolster the 3rd line pairing.We all know manitoba products know how to play hockey properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad