Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

janneydraketkachuk

Jun 17, 2014
Who's left to deal? Stafford, Enstrom and Thorburn? I would love to see someone bite on Pav, but I don't see it happening. They just re-upped Buff, so do you deal Wheeler and Little then? Perreault? Part of me hopes the market sucks with a flat or falling cap and Ladd comes back because no one out there will pay him 6x6. I don't care to see the youth movement dragged out to 2024. I hope they'd be a playoff team before then.

I haven't heard much speculation out there about who would be the team willing to sign Ladd to a 6x6 contract. Anyone got any ideas on who might be in that market?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Enstrom is one of the best dmen on our team. Why would you trade him ? You want to make our blueline worse ? Please explain the logic behind it.

Cap space.

Not a move in isolation. Many moving parts. More d depth would be needed. But he's an aging player on a team going with youth.

But Toby is paid too much for the value he brings, imo. That's a big problem in a cap world.

Pavs is the next logical target.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Who can take on that salary now though? Which contender? thery're all pretty cap strapped except the Ducks who are pretty flush with D men.

I was thinking Boston, though retaining some salary likely isn't what Chevy would want to do.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I was thinking Boston, though retaining some salary likely isn't what Chevy would want to do.

They're having trouble signing Louie Eriksson. Not sure how Enstrom makes that any easier for them? Why should we retain salary?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Cap space.

Not a move in isolation. Many moving parts. More d depth would be needed. But he's an aging player on a team going with youth.

But Toby is paid too much for the value he brings, imo. That's a big problem in a cap world.

Jets have way more cap space than any other team in the league. That's no reason to move good players.

Toby Still delivers good value. He is getting older on a team that is getting younger but I think he is more likely to be extended than to be traded. His next contract will likely be 2 years and less money but he will still be a good defenseman and we don't have the replacements in the system. When we get them Toby will push Stu out.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Cap space.

We aren't deep enough on the blueline to lose Enstrom. I can understand worrying about cap space, but the closest prospect we have to being NHL ready is Morrisey and the Moose were such a gong show this year it's hard to gauge his readiness.

Pavs would be great to trade, convincing a team to take Pavs might be tough. If we were deeper in prospects I would agree with you that Enstrom would make great trade bait.
The worry of cap space and $$ per year is one of the reasons Ladd was traded and why Trouba will probably only get a bridge deal.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They're having trouble signing Louie Eriksson. Not sure how Enstrom makes that any easier for them? Why should we retain salary?

They could treat Eriksson as a rental and pay toby instead. Not saying they should but it would be an option. Their forwards are pretty good but their D is weak. IMO they are overachieving. OTOH they only have to pay Eriksson. They would have to part with some valuable assets to get Toby. OTOH maybe Eriksson is demanding more than Toby's 5.75

I just don't buy the trade Toby talk though. Not unless we acquire some other LD.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
I haven't heard much speculation out there about who would be the team willing to sign Ladd to a 6x6 contract. Anyone got any ideas on who might be in that market?

Edmonton. They are desperate for a guy to take over their room. They'd dump Eberle for picks if they could sign Ladd.

Toronto if they whiff on Stamkos.

Florida Panthers.

If Carolina doesn't manage to re-sign Staal, I'm sure they'd see Ladd as a good alternative.

Lots of teams are out there with the cap space to sign Ladd. How many of them are good teams? Probably not many, but they are out there.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
And wait 4-5 years?

Even if you get a 20y/o D prospect you are probably still waiting 4-5 years.

Trading forward prospects for defense prospects is a bad idea. Defencemen take a lot longer to develop and are harder to predict.

Packaging forward prospects for a young D that is already NHL proven, great. But going lateral, moving a forward prospect for a similar level and age defence prospect is a bad move.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
So we got Dano. Reports out of S Florida and Brooklyn said we were looking for Crouse / Top F prospect. Interesting that there were no reports of targeting D.

What does this imply about Chevy's view of our roster and depth? If anything, it sounds to me like he's locked in on our Top 4 for the next 3-4 years and thinks we have enough or can find replacement parts in the bottom 2?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
We aren't deep enough on the blueline to lose Enstrom. I can understand worrying about cap space, but the closest prospect we have to being NHL ready is Morrisey and the Moose were such a gong show this year it's hard to gauge his readiness.

Pavs would be great to trade, convincing a team to take Pavs might be tough. If we were deeper in prospects I would agree with you that Enstrom would make great trade bait.
The worry of cap space and $$ per year is one of the reasons Ladd was traded and why Trouba will probably only get a bridge deal.

Ya, I don't think we can afford to lose Toby yet. We have no LHD depth whatsoever. I don't know if there's any demand for Burmi, but I would move him even if you only got a 3rd, or a serviceable AHL D. Pavs, Stu, Postma? I would move those guys for nothing.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
So we got Dano. Reports out of S Florida and Brooklyn said we were looking for Crouse / Top F prospect. Interesting that there were no reports of targeting D.

What does this imply about Chevy's view of our roster and depth? If anything, it sounds to me like he's locked in on our Top 4 for the next 3-4 years and thinks we have enough or can find replacement parts in the bottom 2?

I think we were just targetting the other teams top prospect(s) regardless of position. I don't think you can read into it anything more than that.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
I think we were just targetting the other teams top prospect(s) regardless of position. I don't think you can read into it anything more than that.

I agree, I think Chevy was trying to get best value and talent and let the positions work out later. Would rather be trading from a position of strength (our prospect forwards) for a D than take a less talented D in a trade because of need.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
OK, now let's dump all those bad contracts and plugs we have. Maybe even Stafford or someone else.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
I have no problem moving Toby if we get back some how or in another deal guy(s) like Montour, Larsson or Theodore.

Then I look at it like a win. Toby isnt built to play in our div or in the west. Plus he comes with a super high price tag.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I have no problem moving Toby if we get back some how or in another deal guy(s) like Montour, Larsson or Theodore.

Then I look at it like a win. Toby isnt built to play in our div or in the west. Plus he comes with a super high price tag.
What's his tag, 5.75 per year for a reliable puck moving, smooth skating Left Hand D man?

That is not high.

In fact I think Toby is generally **** upon and under appreciated around here.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
What's his tag, 5.75 per year for a reliable puck moving, smooth skating Left Hand D man?

That is not high.

In fact I think Toby is generally **** upon and under appreciated around here.

No its not if we were back in the east, however I find it a little much to spend on someone who is muscled off the puck on a shift by shift basis and cant control his corner without the help of his d partner or a forward.

At 6 million a year, I kinda want a dman who does it all, would you rather have Toby or Hamilton? We over paid for Toby we really did, however im under no illusion that he is by any stretch of the imagination a terrible defenseman. And to be honest there are far worse contracts out there for dman.

boanst

May 25, 2013
No its not if we were back in the east, however I find it a little much to spend on someone who is muscled off the puck on a shift by shift basis and cant control his corner without the help of his d partner or a forward.

At 6 million a year, I kinda want a dman who does it all, would you rather have Toby or Hamilton? We over paid for Toby we really did, however im under no illusion that he is by any stretch of the imagination a terrible defenseman. And to be honest there are far worse contracts out there for dman.

I think you are exaggerating the frequency his weaknesses come into play here.

I actually like that when he senses there is no real safe play out of the corner that he makes the opposing player come get the puck instead of giving it away for free into an area that is inherently more dangerous. The optics are lousy because he is getting outmuscled.

I do agree his salary is too high though. I think he got that on the strength of his 2 50+ point seasons in Atlanta and near that pace in year 1 here. That part of his game is long gone but the salary premium is still here.

The idea of using his salary to re-sign Trouba is a decent idea, but I would feel better if we had a legit top-4 LHD other than Toby on the roster.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I think you are exaggerating the frequency his weaknesses come into play here.

I actually like that when he senses there is no real safe play out of the corner that he makes the opposing player come get the puck instead of giving it away for free into an area that is inherently more dangerous. The optics are lousy because he is getting outmuscled.

I do agree his salary is too high though. I think he got that on the strength of his 2 50+ point seasons in Atlanta and near that pace in year 1 here. That part of his game is long gone but the salary premium is still here.

The idea of using his salary to re-sign Trouba is a decent idea, but I would feel better if we had a legit top-4 LHD other than Toby on the roster.

This is spot on in my view. Toby is an elite shot/corsi suppressor in the league. He's become a 'defensive' defenseman, while retain elite puck movement skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad