Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I am not much interested in Richards at all. Too much salary and too little performance.

Still, it might be okay if you dump some dead weight (like Thorbs) in the bargain. Then it's just a waste of money, but the roster might get marginally better.

But I can't see Chevy having any interest in this, and I would support Chevy if that's how he'd approach this.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
He would be our highest paid player this season and also our 9th leading scorer. Doubt that TNSE would be interested in him unless there is significant salary going the other way.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd take Richards for Postma and Thorbs. Kings shed some salary and get a bit of depth on D, along with some more size / skating up front. I doubt that Kings are looking at that, though. They are probably more interested in someone like Frolik.

I wouldn't trade any decent draft picks or prospects, though. I don't think this team is close enough to start that sort of thing.

Agreed. It would depend on what they wanted. Id want to ship as much salary back to them to make it more palatable, like...say...Pavelec.

Trading Pavelec is a pipe dream. This would be a salary dump by the Kings. They are not likely to be looking to take much salary back. Nobody is ever going to take Pavelec off our hands. Never mind the contract, he is just no good.

The Postma + Thor suggestion might make sense but I think some other teams might offer more. That + a 3rd?

Frolik might make sense if he is not going to re-sign here but then would they be confident of re-signing him themselves? They might figure on getting him and saving a mil+ in cap space as good enough. And if he doesn't sign with them he has been a good rental for them and they are ahead 5.75 cap space. Maybe a pretty good gamble. It is only good for us though if Frolik is really not going to stay here. I much prefer to keep Frolik if possible.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Probably worth it if we can get him in a decent trade -- esp if we can get rid of some garbage in the process. But, do we want to pay a third liner those kind of $.

As for needing a 3RW, won't Petan/Ehlers fill that role next year.

We are already paying Kane 6mil to play 3LW so that seems to be about our standard. :) :naughty:
Seriously it depends on how productive he is. Kane - Lowry - Richards could be a helluva 3rd line and play = min to our 2nd line. If Richards could play either L or R wing or C that versatility would be extremely valuable when we have injuries. He could spend as much time on the 1st and 2nd lines as on the 3rd.

Petan is a C/LW. I don't mind switching sides with veterans but am skeptical of doing it with young players. It is just an extra burden for them to overcome. I'm almost certain that Ehlers is another year away but then, yes. There is also Burmi on the horizon for next year. OTOH if we lose Frolik, Richards could be a good replacement. He would also open up the possibility of moving Lowry to the 4th line for next year. His presence would reduce the chance of Chevy giving Slater a 'Thor contract'. A 3rd line of Kane - Richards - Burmi and a 4th of Gali/xxx - Lowry - Hali/xxx and our bottom 6 is pretty good. The xxxs could be any of O'Dell, Klingberg, Kosmo, Peluso, Lipon, FA, OK Thor.

I always think that you make the team as good as you can now. If that leads to an excess at some position later on you deal with it when it happens. That is one of those 'good to have' problems. You do have to apply some foresight but so often things just don't happen as expected that it is seldom wise to pass on something good because you have an expectation of something >= just around the corner.

JetsTO

Jun 11, 2014
They were looking at buying him out in the offseason and it doesn't sound like much has improved. I assume they'd jump at an offer of nothing... with the contract he's a net liability. Would think the negotiating would be around how much salary they're keeping and/or what problems they're taking off our hands. Pav probably too much to ask for, Thor not enough. Maybe Thor+salary retention.

Frolik is right out.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree its a bit missleading, but he's approaching 30 and his point totals have at best flatelined to around 40 points. He's also signed to a very long term contract. I think its fair to ask whether or not his production will decrease over the next few years.

Certainly fair to ask. In fact it almost certainly will decrease before this contract expires but so will his salary. I would bet on 40+ points for a couple of years before falling off to ~25-30 by the last year. It may still be a little expensive for that kind of point production but he is a veteran winner. That is worth something. I think the cap hit might be more of a concern in a couple of more years as we have to re-sign some of our other players but the rising cap will probably take care of that.

Bottom line is that I think we would be a better team with him than without him as long as we don't have to give up anything too important to get him.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Can someone explain the rules regarding salary retention?

Is it a single % retained (say 10%), and the salary retained changes each year depending on whatever the salary is each year?

Or does it have to be the same dollar amount retained every year?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Can someone explain the rules regarding salary retention?

Is it a single % retained (say 10%), and the salary retained changes each year depending on whatever the salary is each year?

Or does it have to be the same dollar amount retained every year?

It's the same percentage each year. That cannot be changed.

Therefore if the salary changes year to year the amount of money retained changes year to year. The percentage of caphit and salary stays the same.

So let's say Jets traded Pavs and retained 50%. Jets would have 1.85 mil and caphit for duration while paying 2 of 4 and 2.25 of 4.5 million over next two years.

50% is the most that can be retained.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

Therefore if the salary changes year to year the amount of money retained changes year to year. The percentage of caphit and salary stays the same.

So let's say Jets traded Pavs and retained 50%. Jets would have 1.85 mil and caphit for duration while paying 2 of 4 and 2.25 of 4.5 million over next two years.

What do.you think of Richards Holden?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Thanks!

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Basically my issue with Richards is that he gets paid way too much for a 20-30 point third liner, which is basically what he is. What's more, his possession numbers over the last several years have been pretty bad, so there's not even that to maybe make up for his low point-scoring. L.A. would have to retain a large % of his salary and we'd have to give up precious little in exchange for me to even remotely like a potential trade.

What it boils down to is that if we're talking trade, and have the whole league to potentially look at, Mike Richards is fairly low on the list of people I think the Jets should be looking for.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Basically my issue with Richards is that he gets paid way too much for a 20-30 point third liner, which is basically what he is. What's more, his possession numbers over the last several years have been pretty bad, so there's not even that to maybe make up for his low point-scoring. L.A. would have to retain a large % of his salary and we'd have to give up precious little in exchange for me to even remotely like a potential trade.

What it boils down to is that if we're talking trade, and have the whole league to potentially look at, Mike Richards is fairly low on the list of people I think the Jets should be looking for.

I don't think he is a 20-30 pt 3rd liner. He is on pace for 28 this year. He is having an off year. He has never been this low before. Of course it is entirely possible that this is the best year of the rest of his career but I don't see any reason to assume that.

Where are you getting those possession numbers from? I tried War-on-ice and found some garbage numbers so I don't know whether any of their numbers are reliable or not. The numbers I found for him were not that bad but I don't trust their accuracy.

Your last point is certainly valid but his large contract, with LA being cap strapped and his poor production so far this year explains why he might be available and why he might come relatively cheaply. I agree that he wouldn't be worth the risk of a large price and I would like at least some salary retention but I don't think that would have to be too large.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I don't think he is a 20-30 pt 3rd liner. He is on pace for 28 this year. He is having an off year. He has never been this low before. Of course it is entirely possible that this is the best year of the rest of his career but I don't see any reason to assume that.

Where are you getting those possession numbers from? I tried War-on-ice and found some garbage numbers so I don't know whether any of their numbers are reliable or not. The numbers I found for him were not that bad but I don't trust their accuracy.

Your last point is certainly valid but his large contract, with LA being cap strapped and his poor production so far this year explains why he might be available and why he might come relatively cheaply. I agree that he wouldn't be worth the risk of a large price and I would like at least some salary retention but I don't think that would have to be too large.
His per minute scoring rates have been pretty consistent over the last four years. The biggest difference has been ice time - which has been decreasing steadily. The biggest difference the lockout year was his PP scoring rate more than doubled. I wouldn't call him a bad player, but he'd probably be the 4th best centre on the Jets behind Little, Scheif and Perreault. Not worth breaking the bank on someone like that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
His per minute scoring rates have been pretty consistent over the last four years. The biggest difference has been ice time - which has been decreasing steadily. The biggest difference the lockout year was his PP scoring rate more than doubled. I wouldn't call him a bad player, but he'd probably be the 4th best centre on the Jets behind Little, Scheif and Perreault. Not worth breaking the bank on someone like that.

Well apparently (or rather if the rumours are correct) the LAK agree with that assessment but they are up against the cap. Perreault is playing LW and seems to be thriving there. That leaves him behind Little and Scheif at C. I am thinking of him at RW. I don't know if he has any history of doing that successfully or not. He could also push Lowry down to the 4th line but right now that is not what we need most. He could play 3LW until Kane gets back but if he can't play RW my interest drops somewhat. Even then I am only interested if the price is right. I'm thinking a 20% salary retention would help.

Funny thing is he was being touted as a trade target for Winnipeg some time ago (last off-season or draft time?) and I argued against it then. The big factor in his favour was being from Kenora (a Wpg. suburb) and I think his GF was from Winnipeg. The thing is that then some people were advocating paying quite a bit to get him. I haven't changed my mind. It is all about price and circumstances.

BTW, can you comment on his possession/defensive play? If he really is not that good then fine, pass.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Ok, maybe 20-30 is unfair. Maybe I should have just said 30. But 30 is not a lot of points given his contract's price point and length. I just don't like the idea, mainly because it'd be a guy we'd have to trade for. Why bother? If we want him, wait and see if he gets bought out. He might yet. I'd have no problem with paying him like a 30 point scorer. But he's getting paid like a guy who plays at a much higher level than that. Again, if we're looking to make a trade to get a guy for the third line RW, I think there are plenty of reasonable targets other than him, that's all.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
What do.you think of Richards Holden?

He's still a 35-50 point 2nd/3rd liner. Responsible twoway guy.

For Jets comparable I'd say he is like Frolik. Better at center and more physical probably. That's about the biggest differences it seems. Considering Frolik is looking at 4.5+ on his next deal Richards 5.75 suddenly doesn't look that bad.

His production has fallen off due to Kings playing like crap this year and him playing with terrible linemates quite often. If Jets fell off the map offensively and stuck Frolik between Halischuk and Thorburn his production would fall off as well..

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This is the same guy the coyotes said was blowing smoke earlier today with all the Doan trade rumours. Now he has the details. Doesn't sound very likely to me

@SportsHubAZ: Anyways here you go: #ShaneDoan, Antoine Vermette and 2nd round pick to @NHLJets for Evander Kane, Jay Harrison and 4th round pick #Coyotes

If the Jets traded Kane for that pile of......that tells the Jets have given up on Kane and just want to dump his contract anything they can get. Also means that Kane holds very little value around the NHL. Means the Jets try to get something to help get into the playoffs. That would be a sad return in my eyes and I have no problem traded Kane (generally speaking).

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
With the emergence of Kucherov in TBL as top tier RW and Callahan & J.T. Brown doing 2nd & 3rd line damage,I wonder if TBL is considering unloading Connolly. If he ever stays healthy he can be a pretty good player

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Eklund,

Claims Leafs/Jets are talking about Bogo for Lupal & Gardiner. Claims many teams watching Bogo to see if he's healthy.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=65455&blogger_id=1

As always consider the source.

This is nothing against you at all, Hunter, and more of an observation: by I wonder why we even cite or post Eklunds magical rumours. There is zero credibility with him at all. I'd sooner see a hack like Eklund disappear from HF for good because he doesn't carry any weight at all and is a complete liar.

/rant

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If the Jets traded Kane for that pile of......that tells the Jets have given up on Kane and just want to dump his contract anything they can get. Also means that Kane holds very little value around the NHL. Means the Jets try to get something to help get into the playoffs. That would be a sad return in my eyes and I have no problem traded Kane (generally speaking).

That trade was supposed to go down right after the game. Just another bogus trade rumour.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
That trade was supposed to go down right after the game. Just another bogus trade rumour.

Thank you thank you. I'm the first one to say I'm ok with trading Kane, but at least get something of value. :laugh:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Eklund,

Claims Leafs/Jets are talking about Bogo for Lupal & Gardiner. Claims many teams watching Bogo to see if he's healthy.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=65455&blogger_id=1

As always consider the source.

Making trades for anyone from the Leafs is risky. Playing for that team is bound to damage anyone, so if you make the trade... you are either getting someone that is damaged beyond repair or you hope they are so happy to get out of Toronto, they turn in to a great player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad