Cut/Released: Jets fire DC Gregg Williams

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Obviously he lost the room after that
Yeah, listening to the reaction from Maye, he clearly lost the room. Say what you want, but players just don't really have it in them to tank. Its just the competitive spirit they have from the time they were children. And from all I have heard, Williams has made that call on plays like that in the past. That said, if I am a Jets fan I want them to go 0-16 so they can get Trevor. I still have no shame that I rooted against the Dolphins every game last year & for the most part they are reaping the benefits already for their ineptitude for most of last season.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Yeah, listening to the reaction from Maye, he clearly lost the room. Say what you want, but players just don't really have it in them to tank. Its just the competitive spirit they have from the time they were children. And from all I have heard, Williams has made that call on plays like that in the past. That said, if I am a Jets fan I want them to go 0-16 so they can get Trevor. I still have no shame that I rooted against the Dolphins every game last year & for the most part they are reaping the benefits already for their ineptitude for most of last season.
Players also know their careers are often year to year, and a bad coach can make them look bad on tape. Gregg Williams setting the Jets up to fail will lead to some of these players being out of the league after this season.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
All this tells me is Williams legitimately believed that was the right call to make...even after he nearly got torched on the play prior calling the EXACT SAME THING.

Williams is a smug enough turd to seriously believe that. Which honestly looks worse than the "I threw the game" argument people made.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Seems to me in recent years or so that SC prefer to rush the passer so that he has to get the ball released sooner which prevents the receivers from running the 50 plus yards and then turn, position themselves and locate the ball. Guys who run a 4.4 40, will still need time for the extra 10-15 yards plus time to get ready for it. Ball will be thrown by the time they reach the 10-15 yard line.

so rather than give the QB 3.5 seconds they rush so that the qb can’t bye some time.

but no one goes cover zero and plays straight man. You may rush 5 and out 6 back but never rush 7 with a spy and leave 3 guys one on one.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Players also know their careers are often year to year, and a bad coach can make them look bad on tape. Gregg Williams setting the Jets up to fail will lead to some of these players being out of the league after this season.
Same goes for Joe Douglas who is trying to evaluate these players. Keeping around a coach who keeps failing all over himself doesn’t help your evaluations.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Seems to me in recent years or so that SC prefer to rush the passer so that he has to get the ball released sooner which prevents the receivers from running the 50 plus yards and then turn, position themselves and locate the ball. Guys who run a 4.4 40, will still need time for the extra 10-15 yards plus time to get ready for it. Ball will be thrown by the time they reach the 10-15 yard line.

so rather than give the QB 3.5 seconds they rush so that the qb can’t bye some time.

but no one goes cover zero and plays straight man. You may rush 5 and out 6 back but never rush 7 with a spy and leave 3 guys one on one.
Right. Rushing 5 or 6 would have been plenty bold enough to be aggressive and not give the QB all day. Leaving 3 in coverage is craziness

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Right. Rushing 5 or 6 would have been plenty bold enough to be aggressive and not give the QB all day. Leaving 3 in coverage is craziness
It is the smarter play than let the QB bye time and the receivers to get into position.

but man alive you need a couple of safeties to be deep.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Same goes for Joe Douglas who is trying to evaluate these players. Keeping around a coach who keeps failing all over himself doesn’t help your evaluations.
But deep down I’m sure Douglas would rather have the loss and keep the top pick. Won’t say it publicly but doubt he’s too ticked off.

Coaches and players don’t tank cause their future employment is on the line.

no clue why Williams wanted to all out blitz there.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
And yet he'll have a job somewhere next year, because someone will convince themselves he's the answer to their problems.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
And yet he'll have a job somewhere next year, because someone will convince themselves he's the answer to their problems.

I don't know, they're kind of making it a point to embarrass him out the door. But odds are someone will think their defense was too soft and bring him in.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
All this tells me is Williams legitimately believed that was the right call to make...even after he nearly got torched on the play prior calling the EXACT SAME THING.

Williams is a smug enough turd to seriously believe that. Which honestly looks worse than the "I threw the game" argument people made.
From what I read, not only did he make the call twice in the end of that game but he has a long history of calling in cover 0 in poor situations over the years. So, it really is Gregg Williams thinking more than the Jets tanking.

Anyone thinking the Jets are tanking are just off their rockers. It doesn’t make sense, the average career is 3 seasons and a bunch of these players are playing to stick around not to look like they can’t play in the NFL anymore. Let’s be honest, there isn’t anyone on that coaching staff that will be back next year for the Jets, so they are not going to benefit either from tanking. This is just a poorly talented team with terrible game plans and coaching and that is all it is.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
To make the Jets looking even worse. Gregg Williams was the ONLY bright spot on that coaching staff.

I mean, I don't care about Trevor Lawrence anymore... can they just fire Adam Gase for god sake!!

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
To make the Jets looking even worse. Gregg Williams was the ONLY bright spot on that coaching staff.

I mean, I don't care about Trevor Lawrence anymore... can they just fire Adam Gase for god sake!!
Seriously, what good would that do? Do you really want to see them win a game or 2 or 3 & lose out at a chance for a possible generational QB? Relax, Gase will be gone on January 4 and in the meantime as you watch the remaining games this season try & imagine a brighter future with a hopefully quality new coaching staff & a great young QB

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Seriously, what good would that do? Do you really want to see them win a game or 2 or 3 & lose out at a chance for a possible generational QB? Relax, Gase will be gone on January 4 and in the meantime as you watch the remaining games this season try & imagine a brighter future with a hopefully quality new coaching staff & a great young QB
The problem is that the Jets don't give a f*** about the fans.

Adam Gase was the least favorite option from a Jets fan perspective for the head coach position and they STILL went for him because Payton Manning praised him and called him the best playcaller in football.

Now the Jets have regressed to a point that they are probably the worst profesional team to ever play football. (how the f*** can they do that?? They were already terrible) and the main guy they got is STILL the f***ing head coach.

The Jets chairman fired their GM after the draft and just after the free agency after an incident between the then GM and Adam Gase. How ridiculous is that?

I mean at some point you got to get the f***ing message and fire the main guy responsible for ALL this mess which is Adam f***ing Gase. Also, the chairman need to have some decency and accept that they are out of their depth and sell the team or at least for god sake fire the worst coach in pro football.

I don't care if they get 2nd or 3rd overall. Fire the f***ing guy!

Last edited:
Reactions: OmniCube

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
The problem is that the Jets don't give a f*** about the fans.

Adam Gase was the least favorite option from a Jets fan perspective for the head coach position and they STILL went for him because Payton Manning praised him and called him the best playcaller in football.

Now the Jets have regressed to a point that they are probably the worst profesional team to ever play football. (how the f*** can they do that?? They were already terrible) and the main guy they got is STILL the f***ing head coach.

The Jets chairman fired their GM after the draft and just after the free agency after an incident between the then GM and Adam Gase. How ridiculous is that?

I mean at some point you got to get the f***ing message and fire the main guy responsible for ALL this mess which is Adam f***ing Gase. Also, the chairman need to have some decency and accept that they are out of their depth and sell the team or at least for god sake fire the worst coach in pro football.

I don't care if they get 2nd or 3rd overall. Fire the f***ing guy!
I totally understand your frustration, but you really need to take a step back & look at the big picture. The best thing for the Jets right now is to be in the position to draft Lawrence. He is their best chance to become relevant in a shorter period of time. Firing Gase now, rather than on Jan 4 serves little purpose other than maybe the team is not a laughingstock for the final 4 games. Now, if by some chance Gase is retained, then all bets are off, but I would bet the farm he will be quickly terminated on Jan 4 or maybe even the evening of Jan 3.

And a quick note to my pal Mr. @OmniCube......while you are cheering the quick firing of Gase, karma might get you and have the Bungles, which are as big a clown show as the Jets, scoop him up in some capacity :laugh:

member 157595

I totally understand your frustration, but you really need to take a step back & look at the big picture. The best thing for the Jets right now is to be in the position to draft Lawrence. He is their best chance to become relevant in a shorter period of time. Firing Gase now, rather than on Jan 4 serves little purpose other than maybe the team is not a laughingstock for the final 4 games. Now, if by some chance Gase is retained, then all bets are off, but I would bet the farm he will be quickly terminated on Jan 4 or maybe even the evening of Jan 3.

And a quick note to my pal Mr. @OmniCube......while you are cheering the quick firing of Gase, karma might get you and have the Bungles, which are as big a clown show as the Jets, scoop him up in some capacity :laugh:

They are indeed as big a clown show as the Jets, no argument here, but remember I'm not picking on the Jets specifically. I don't have anything against the Jets; I was born and raised in the state of NY and count Jets fans among my family. Those fans don't deserve Gase. I wouldn't wish Gase on any fanbase in the NFL. Not even Cowboys fans. Maybe Florida Gators fans though?

Zac Taylor is not the reason the Bengals are terrible. He's not special by any means but they have a terrible OL and a barely-patched-together defense. He was hired primarily because he was cheap, and nothing gets an orgasm out of the Brown family more than nickel-and-diming their fans, but they're not going to replace a cheap, mediocre-at-best coach with a cheap, abominably-bad coach. It wouldn't really save them any money in the short term and would do untold damage in the long term.

Also, hiring Gase would basically destroy what is left of the Bengals' season ticket base. Would be suicide for them. They're stupid and cheap, but I don't think they want to lose season ticket revenue.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad