Jets claim Anthony Peluso

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
As I posted in the Peoria thread, are we responsible for half of his NHL salary? That sucks if we are, as he was never going to make the team anyway. It's just more money down the drain.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt he have to stay with Winnipeg or if they send him down he goes back on waivers and we can reclaim him? Isnt that what happened with Chorney last year?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt he have to stay with Winnipeg or if they send him down he goes back on waivers and we can reclaim him? Isnt that what happened with Chorney last year?

Yep, as long as there wasn't a change in the CBA that we don't know about.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
As I posted in the Peoria thread, are we responsible for half of his NHL salary? That sucks if we are, as he was never going to make the team anyway. It's just more money down the drain.

No. Blues are not responsible for any of Peluso's salary now. Re-call waivers were actually gotten rid of in the new CBA...although this would've been a regualar waivers claim under the old CBA anyway (ie. even under the old system, WPG would've paid all of his salary).

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Nope. No change. WPG has to keep Peluso on their roster. If they want to send him to their AHL team, then he has to go on waivers again and the Blues and every other team would then get another shot at him.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL

Cool, thanks. The waiver rules can get kind of confusing. Anyways, I dont think this is a huge loss, he didn't really have a spot with the team anyway as long as Reaves is here, hopefully he can make the most of his opportunity with the Jets.

BlueSinceBirth

Jul 4, 2006
Hopefully we can get him back. Phoenix got MacLean back from waivers last year after the Jets used him for a bit.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah I think we might get him back too. I like Peluso but I wonder if he's really good enough to be a full-time NHL'er yet. I'd like to have him back, he'd be a nice guy to have in the organization...but what can you do I guess.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
This.

Good Luck Anthony Peluso in Winnipeg.

Agreed. Good for him.

I’m sure he’s absolutely stoked too. Not that he wanted to get away from the Blues/Rivs or anything but he should be happy for 3 very good reasons.
1. He just went from the AHL to the NHL
2. He’s a Canadian kid and just got traded to a Canadian team
3. His salary just went from $65k to a prorated $605k

I would definitely take a 831% increase in my salary!!

Baby Blues

Jun 6, 2011
I too think there's a good chance we see him again. Hard to see an NHL team hold a roster spot for an enforcer.

Yes, he does have a decent wrister and is not just a pure goon. But after a great start this year, his offense had come back to reality and he was moved back to getting 3rd line minutes in Peoria. So at NHL level, he'd be that 5 minute/game enforcer when he plays and that role is fairly rare now.

Some may wonder why his PIMs are down...no one will go with him this year. At 6' 4" 245lb, he's a truck out there and not many heavyweights in the AHL to match that.

So while I'm a fan of Peluso, I see Reaves as better in most aspects of the game except for the fighting.

If Peluso can show that his hot start was a trend upward in his play and not just a fluke, there's a 4th line role potential there. I wasn't thinking this year though.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Jets fan here. Are we getting a guy with NHL potential or is he strictly a low minute enforcer? We're probably more surprised by this than you guys are. Although we do have a 4th line spot open I thought if all else fails ponikarovsky can fill in. Peluso will be an upgrade in fighting over Glass.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Jets fan here. Are we getting a guy with NHL potential or is he strictly a low minute enforcer? We're probably more surprised by this than you guys are. Although we do have a 4th line spot open I thought if all else fails ponikarovsky can fill in. Peluso will be an upgrade in fighting over Glass.

He is definitely a legit heavyweight, but I think that is pretty much all that he can offer a team. Apparently there were more than one team interested in him, so what do I know.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Jets fan here.

If he proves capable of playing his 4th line role, many of us believe he will stick with the team. Jets coach Claude Noel spoke highly of him saying the organization believes he can play and not be just that hired thug. They did a lot of AHL scouting during the lockout and guess they saw something they liked in him.

As a team the JETS were sorely lacking with what he brings to the table. There is also speculation on our boards that perhaps if he earns his time, Thorburn could become available to improve the team elsewhere, but that is just HF speculation.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Wait, Peluso is displacing Tanner Glass? Dammit, enforcers from Dartmouth are a rare breed, let's not take their jobs.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm surprised that there's a market for Peluso, but good luck to him. I don't think his absence is a significant loss for the Blues. Even if Reaves went down, I think the 4th line is going to be a log-jam of guys fighting for ice time this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad