Speculation: Jets Cap Situation 20-21

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Winnipeg Jets - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Jets are looking good next year as far as cap goes with no big RFA contracts to be resigned this summer, the year after that we have 2-3 more notable RFA deals to sign. So what do we do with the available cap space this summer so we're ready to compeat in 20-21?

Thoughts?
We need a good number 2 centre. Little could still have some left in the tank but he can be our third line centre. Sign or trade for one.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don’t think Jets mgmt is willing/ able to weaponize our cap. I think if money isn’t spent on our guys, bringing in guys to improve us, Chipman would step in and say I refuse to pay for a salary dump for picks/prospects that he would rather keep the money in his own pocket.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
We need a good number 2 centre. Little could still have some left in the tank but he can be our third line centre. Sign or trade for one.

Agreed.

Trade, FA or OS for a dynamic 2C is top priority I think, Cirelli is arguably at the top of that list.

Also sign DeMelo and/or trade for Dunn and/or Cernak for help on D.

No superstars above, but all very solid players.

One guy I wouldn't persue is Pietrangelo. He's a very good player, but he would cost too much and is aging........I would sooner use that cap on a couple of the guys above.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
we are well positioned to fill that number 2 center hole now. We should be aggressively pursuing that this summer.

Also sign DeMelo if he would like to come back and we should have a much more balanced team next year.

Reactions: Duke749

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I keep looking at Roslovic Lowry Appleton Copp.....something there as got to give.

They are all gonna want and deserve more money. Meanwhile Gustavson is lurking in the background

I love Lowry but wonder if we might have to let another team overpay him....

After that?
I think Apples might be the best of the bunch when all is said and done and Copp is probably the best value as 4th line Centre

with Kulikov coming off the books as well I think we go all in on a D-corps rebuild, bring in a real big money UFA D...trade some youth and picks for a genuine top pairing D and dump the tire fire on our current backend(looking at you Anthony Potatoes)and get back to being a contender. what that looks like? I don't really know....depends on what magic Chevy can pull off... I'd love to see us get Hamilton out of Carolina. or O.E.L. out of Pheonix....

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A few things to keep in mind

we need to sign DeMelo and that should provide a very affordable top 4 asset and solidify the right side of our D.

Whatever we do has to make sense within the backdrop of Laine and Pionk needing new deals in 2021-22.

If we are smart the cap crunch uncertainty, and the looming Seattle expansion draft might create hardship for other teams and open up opportunities for us?

Wouldn’t it be nice to find an option for our 2nd line centre.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree that a 2C is probably the Jets' highest priority, assuming they can re-sign DeMelo.

However, acquiring a 2C isn't going to be easy. There will be a lot of suitors for Cirelli, and the cost will be high. Laine and Ehlers took a step forward in their play last year, and if they continue to improve then the Jets might be fine with their current Cs --- using Wheeler, Little and sometimes Copp or Roslovic at 2C.

The main problem for the Jets last year was a very poor D. They have a chance this offseason to add a couple of good D. I can't see them nabbing Pietrangelo, but if they could sign DeMelo and Dillon they would have a very solid and deep D that could complement Helkebuyck's outstanding goaltending. They should still score enough.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Copp-Lowry-Roslovic
Perreault-Harkins-Appleton

Morrissey-DeMelo
Dillon-Pionk
Samberg-Poolman

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I agree that a 2C is probably the Jets' highest priority, assuming they can re-sign DeMelo.

However, acquiring a 2C isn't going to be easy. There will be a lot of suitors for Cirelli, and the cost will be high. Laine and Ehlers took a step forward in their play last year, and if they continue to improve then the Jets might be fine with their current Cs --- using Wheeler, Little and sometimes Copp or Roslovic at 2C.

The main problem for the Jets last year was a very poor D. They have a chance this offseason to add a couple of good D. I can't see them nabbing Pietrangelo, but if they could sign DeMelo and Dillon they would have a very solid and deep D that could complement Helkebuyck's outstanding goaltending. They should still score enough.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Copp-Lowry-Roslovic
Perreault-Harkins-Appleton

Morrissey-DeMelo
Dillon-Pionk
Samberg-Poolman
Is Dillion cheaper, better than Harmonic?

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
Do we even know what the cap will be for next season? Will there be anything else that alters the cap or salaries?

I would love to get Little and his $5.29 mil cap hit that extends to the end of '23-'24 off the books somehow.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Is Dillion cheaper, better than Harmonic?
I think he's better, and probably cheaper. Dillon is strong defensively, and Hamonic has struggled defensively the past few seasons. Also, the Jets would have DeMelo and Pionk on RD, but only Morrissey as a vet on LD.

Evolving Wild projects the following on 4-year deals...

Hamonic 4.5M
Dillon 3.7M
DeMelo 3.4M

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Move Little, if he returns, even if we have to add to him to do it.
Let Kulikov walk.
Go after Cirelli in Tampa, (OS or trade), Domi in Montreal, or another young energetic 2C.
Sign DeMelo, 4x4
Maybe look into a bottom pairing LHD vet from FA

Other than a 2C, I wouldn’t bring in anyone else of high value. With the expansion draft coming up, we need to consider our protection list. If we do the expected 7-3-1, we’re looking at
F- Scheifele, Wheeler, Connor, Ehlers, Laine, Roslovic, New 2C
D- Morrissey, DeMelo, Pionk
G- Hellebuyck

Last edited:

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Do we even know what the cap will be for next season? Will there be anything else that alters the cap or salaries?

I would love to get Little and his $5.29 mil cap hit that extends to the end of '23-'24 off the books somehow.

I think that's a bit...crass. The guy has what is probably a career ending injury...

Even at his current pay Little is a great option in the 2-3 C spot who can move up and down the lineup he's done nothing but perform for the Jets especially in the playoffs. He's been a great asset and committed Jet who deserves more respect that that.

our problem isn't forwards there's enough talent to fill our team up front when healthy, and we still have a couple of good prospects coming along. Our problem is the backend. I don't know how you could look at our team and think otherwise. yes we need to extend some guys up front... but right now our D is Morrisy and Pionk Dahlstrom and Poolman....that's it. we need D

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I think that's a bit...crass. The guy has what is probably a career ending injury...

Even at his current pay Little is a great option in the 2-3 C spot who can move up and down the lineup he's done nothing but perform for the Jets especially in the playoffs. He's been a great asset and committed Jet who deserves more respect that that.

our problem isn't forwards there's enough talent to fill our team up front when healthy, and we still have a couple of good prospects coming along. Our problem is the backend. I don't know how you could look at our team and think otherwise. yes we need to extend some guys up front... but right now our D is Morrisy and Pionk Dahlstrom and Poolman....that's it. we need D
No, Little is not a great 2C option. He needs to be replaced if we plan on ever getting anywhere.
Top priority is a 2C, followed closely by moving Little out

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Move Little, if he returns, even if we have to add to him to do it.
Let Kulikov walk.
Go after Cirelli in Tampa, (OS or trade), Domi in Montreal, or another young energetic 2C.
Little would be hard to trade in this cap environment.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
How much do you think Laine’s raise will be? I mean he’s becoming a solid two player but he didn’t exactly light the scoreboard up the last two season’s. Whatever they think he’ll get will affect what they can do next year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
How much do you think Laine’s raise will be? I mean he’s becoming a solid two player but he didn’t exactly light the scoreboard up the last two season’s. Whatever they think he’ll get will affect what they can do next year.
Very quick calculation for 2021...

Jets would be okay with no rise in the cap with the following developments...

Perreault expires and Roslovic traded for futures, replaced by ELC (KVes, Appleton, Harkins).

Laine extended at around 10.2M.

Pionk extended at around 6M.

Copp and Lowry re-signed at 4M each.

DeMelo signed at 3.2M.

Roster is something like...

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine (22.3M)
Connor-Little-Wheeler (20.7M)
Copp-Lowry-Appleton (8.9M)
KVes-Harkins-??? (2.6M)

Morrissey-DeMelo (9.5M)
Samberg-Pionk (7.0M)
Heinola-Poolman (2.4M)

Hellebuyck-Berdin (6.9M)

Total = 80.1M

Add another couple of low price players to fill out the roster.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

Perreault expires and Roslovic traded for futures, replaced by ELC (KVes, Appleton, Harkins).

DeMelo signed at 3.2M.

KVes-Harkins-??? (2.6M)

Morrissey-DeMelo (9.5M)
Samberg-Pionk (7.0M)
Heinola-Poolman (2.4M)

Hellebuyck-Berdin (6.9M)

Total = 80.1M

2020-2021 season;
Trade ‘21 1st+Lowry for Cirelli
Sign Cirelli 6yrs at 5.5M per
Extend DeMelo 4yrs at 4M per
Extend Brossoit 2yrs at 1.25M per
Extend Beaulieu 2yrs at 1M per
Extend Harkins 2yrs at 800k per
Trade, LITR, or Retire Little
Trade Niku either with Little or Lowry
Let Kulikov walk

Connor(7,142,857) - Scheifele(6,125,000) - Wheeler(8,250,000)
Ehlers(6,000,000) - Cirelli(5,500,000) - Laine(6,750,000)
Perreault(4,125,000) - Copp(2,280,000) - Roslovic(3,000,000)
Vesalainen(894,167) - Harkins(1,000,000) - Appleton(2,000,000)

Morrissey(6,250,000) - DeMelo(4,000,000)
Samberg(925,000) - Pionk(3,000,000)
Beaulieu(1,000,000) - Poolman(775,000)

Hellebuyck(6,166,666)
Brossoit(1,250,000)

Total season cap: 76,433,690

2021-2022 season;
Extend Laine 7-8yrs at 9.25M per
Extend Copp 3yrs at 4M per
Extend Pionk 5yrs at 5.25M per
Trade Beaulieu
Let Perreault walk

Connor(7,142,857) - Scheifele(6,125,000) - Wheeler(8,250,000)
Ehlers(6,000,000) - Cirelli(5,500,000) - Laine(9,250,000)
Vesalainen(894,167) - Copp(4,000,000) - Roslovic(3,000,000)
Suess(850,000) - Harkins(1,000,00) - Appleton(2,000,000)

Morrissey(6,250,000) - DeMelo(4,000,000)
Samberg(925,000) - Pionk(5,250,000)
Heinola(925,000) - Poolman(775,000)

Hellebuyck(6,166,666)
Berdin(758,333)

Total season cap: 79,062,022

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

DeMelo signed at 3.2M.

KVes-Harkins-??? (2.6M)

Morrissey-DeMelo (9.5M)
Samberg-Pionk (7.0M)
Heinola-Poolman (2.4M)

Hellebuyck-Berdin (6.9M)

Total = 80.1M

10.2 sounds high for Laine he only deserves 9. 4 also sounds high for Lowry. Especially with cap stagnating.

Last edited:

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
I think with all this dead time, Chevy should be working on Laine, DeMelo, and some of the RFA's now to get a solid grasp on cap space. Even though Laine wasn't potting a lot of rubber, his 2 way game was night and day compared to previous seasons and passes from Pionk on the PP were sometimes too slow. I think Laine could have earned a contract over the 10m mark before the league realized it was going to have Cap issues. If the cap remains stagnant, I think 9-9.5 would be fair for Laine based on his upward trajectory. DeMelo I would offer 3-3.5 over 4 years.

I still think we need a long term solution to 2C With Littles injury and age but it isn't immediate. I would wait until after the lottery draw to see where we and other teams stand to at least explore this issue with a trade. Best case scenario Little heals up and is healthy and able to play for another year or two at 2C giving the Jets some time to find a proper replacement.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
For all the Cirelli talk, Lightning fans say it makes way more sense for them to trade Killorn

Tampa fans say that, but most of the players they would rather move have no trade clauses of some sort. And if the cap is flat there won’t be many teams wanting to take that cap without some serious add ons. Tampa is in serious trouble.

Reactions: Jetsetter

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Tampa fans say that, but most of the players they would rather move have no trade clauses of some sort. And if the cap is flat there won’t be many teams wanting to take that cap without some serious add ons. Tampa is in serious trouble.
TB will have to do something really drastic if they want to keep Sergachev and Cirelli, and I doubt they could match a market-value offer sheet to either of them.

Here is what the TB roster and cap situation looks like next season, after trading Killorn for a pick and filling in all of the roster spots with the cheapest ELC (assuming a flat cap at $81.5M). They really don't have any other players that they can trade that will make any real difference in their cap situation because all their players making over $2M (except Point) have full NTC/NMC.

So, they have about $5M in cap space to sign both Sergachev and Cirelli, and that's without re-signing Cirelli.

Looking at the Evolving Hockey contract projections, the estimates for the 3 RFAs (lowest per season amount) are 2 year deals at:

Sergachev: $4.04M
Cirelli: $3.66M
Cernak: $2.5M

They might be able to squeeze out another 1-1.5M by buying out Palat or Johnson or Gourde and replacing with an ELC, but that just gets them to around $6-6.5M in cap space.

upload_2020-4-20_17-13-8.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad