Proposal: Jets/Canucks

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Jets Receive: 1st Round Pick(Top 3 Protected, if so Jets get 2020 first and 2019 second round pick), Jake Virtanen, Jett Woo

Jets Reasoning:

Jets need a future 2C and the 2019 Draft is one of the deepest Center drafts in a while, So Jets potentially get a high pick there could be huge going forward, Jets also need cap space for other futures and Connor would be looking at nearly 6m(which the Jets might not be capable of affording) and they already have great LW depth and a Blue Chip LW prospect waiting to break through in Vesalainen. Jets get Virtanen who could potentially be a great replacement for Armia. On top of that the Jets also get a very good capable 2-Way Winnipeg born Defensemen in Jett Woo, who almost fits perfectly in what the jets need moving forward on the RD.

Canucks Receive: Kyle Connor, Jets 2019 First Round pick

Canucks Reasoning:

Canucks get a high end Winger who has no flaws(excellent skating, excellent hands, excellent shot, excellent hockey IQ, there’s pretty much nothing the kid isn’t good at already) and can play anywhere down the lineup while making his linemates look better(imagine Boeser or Pettersson on a line with him, that would be exciting) plus they receive a minor payment back with a first round pick projected to be later in the first(so they can still get a decent prospect out of it as well).

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
No...
The difference between a 4th-10th overall draft pick (based on recent years, where the Canucks would finish) to 25th-30th overall is not Kyle Connor. Connor is great, but he's not going to get you potentially a top 5 overall pick.

Don't know why the Canucks add Woo and Virtanen...

Reactions: THE Green Man

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
While the Canucks could use another high end winger, they won’t be trading their 2019 1st for 2 reasons.
1) Draft is in Vancouver
2) That pick is likely going to be a top 10 pick where there look to be a good handful of centres.

Winnipeg will be a late 1st.

Plus giving up Jett Woo is a no go as he was a target for them that fell into their laps.

Plus giving up Virtanen makes this proposal a complete joke.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
While the Canucks could use another high end winger, they won’t be trading their 2019 1st for 2 reasons.
1) Draft is in Vancouver
2) That pick is likely going to be a top 10 pick where there look to be a good handful of centres.

Winnipeg will be a late 1st.

Plus giving up Jett Woo is a no go as he was a target for them that fell into their laps.

Plus giving up Virtanen makes this proposal a complete joke.

No, WE COULD NOT USE ANOTHER HIGH-END WINGER....You have NO CLUE what you are talking about,

Good god, what are they doing with kids in schools these days?

Can people not THINK anymore?

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Jets say no.

Giving up our 31 goal scoring rookie, and the biggest return is a protected pick?

Jake Virtanen is a depth player.
Jett Woo- the guy above me talks like he’s some uber catch? I guess he arguably has the coolest name from the draft (Bode Wilde is a close 2nd).

Easy no from the Jets..

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
No...
The difference between a 4th-10th overall draft pick (based on recent years, where the Canucks would finish) to 25th-30th overall is not Kyle Connor. Connor is great, but he's not going to get you potentially a top 5 overall pick.

I looked at all of the forwards picked 4-10 in 2015 (Connor's draft year) and the previous year (went back a couple years for a bigger sample size).
Here are their career highs in points:
36, 0, 20 (Virtanen), 61, 64, 28, 25, 36, 84, 69
Connor had 57 points this season (31 goals).
Exactly zero of those guys had as many goals as Connor and 4 have passed him in points (Nylander, Ehlers, Rantanen, Marner)

My point is: I wouldn't assume you'll get a player as good as Connor with a random 4-10 pick, not even counting the late 1st thrown in.
I think the trade isn't great for either side though - picks tend to be valued higher than the players they turn into.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
Have you seen our roster.

The canucks 1st pick is likely top 5.

There is no way they trade it.

Rusty8719

Feb 21, 2018
Jets get absolutely fleeced. They're trading a 21 year old top 6 goal scorer and a 1st for a protected 1st, a bottom 6 bust, and a B+ prospect.

When maneuvering cap issues, Connor isn't the type of player you let go to make it work. Let Myers walk, trade Perrault and Kulikov, trade/buyout Mason. Not Connor.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Jets get absolutely fleeced. They're trading a 21 year old top 6 goal scorer and a 1st for a protected 1st, a bottom 6 bust, and a B+ prospect.

When maneuvering cap issues, Connor isn't the type of player you let go to make it work. Let Myers walk, trade Perrault and Kulikov, trade/buyout Mason. Not Connor.
Mason has already been traded (along with Armia as a sweetener). Montreal then bought out Mason.

Reactions: Rusty8719

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I looked at all of the forwards picked 4-10 in 2015 (Connor's draft year) and the previous year (went back a couple years for a bigger sample size).
Here are their career highs in points:
36, 0, 20 (Virtanen), 61, 64, 28, 25, 36, 84, 69
Connor had 57 points this season (31 goals).
Exactly zero of those guys had as many goals as Connor and 4 have passed him in points (Nylander, Ehlers, Rantanen, Marner)

My point is: I wouldn't assume you'll get a player as good as Connor with a random 4-10 pick, not even counting the late 1st thrown in.
I think the trade isn't great for either side though - picks tend to be valued higher than the players they turn into.

I get the logic that you're using is basically a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I'd still take a top 5 pick over Connor. Mostly because I'd rather go for the potential all-star mystery box, but also because Connor plays wing, which is probably last on the priority list for our roster needs.

Reactions: jetsforever

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Jets Receive: 1st Round Pick(Top 3 Protected, if so Jets get 2020 first and 2019 second round pick), Jake Virtanen, Jett Woo

Jets Reasoning:

Jets need a future 2C and the 2019 Draft is one of the deepest Center drafts in a while, So Jets potentially get a high pick there could be huge going forward, Jets also need cap space for other futures and Connor would be looking at nearly 6m(which the Jets might not be capable of affording) and they already have great LW depth and a Blue Chip LW prospect waiting to break through in Vesalainen. Jets get Virtanen who could potentially be a great replacement for Armia. On top of that the Jets also get a very good capable 2-Way Winnipeg born Defensemen in Jett Woo, who almost fits perfectly in what the jets need moving forward on the RD.

Canucks Receive: Kyle Connor, Jets 2019 First Round pick

Canucks Reasoning:

Canucks get a high end Winger who has no flaws(excellent skating, excellent hands, excellent shot, excellent hockey IQ, there’s pretty much nothing the kid isn’t good at already) and can play anywhere down the lineup while making his linemates look better(imagine Boeser or Pettersson on a line with him, that would be exciting) plus they receive a minor payment back with a first round pick projected to be later in the first(so they can still get a decent prospect out of it as well).

Just. Stop.

Reactions: JetsHomer

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I'm not sure if this makes sense for either team, WPG is in a win-now mode so I can't seem the trading a young proven player for futures and a bottom six player with some potential. Also VAN needs that 2019 first round pick more than anything as it looks like another top 5 pick.

Also we need centers more than wingers.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
No sure why the Jets would trade Connor right now... unless they feel his season was a fluke.

Not sure why any team in spots 5-10 in an NHL Entry draft wouldn't trade that pick for a young player like Connor. If the Oilers didn't so badly need a RH puck moving dman (and a good one just happening to be available), I would have traded 10OA this past draft in a heartbeat for a proven 30+goal winger (57 point).

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Canucks can't afford to give up valuable assets for a winger. They have Boeser and Pettersson playing wing so Connor won't have room on the pp. They have to draft a dman or center next year. Its not a fit. Winnipeg says no too BC Connor is in their future plans.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
No...

It's not a good trade for either team, and the OP is making proposals like this one on an almost daily basis. That said, Kyle Connor is exactly what you're hoping to get with a pick in the 4-10 range. The fact that he's a first line player ahead of Laine and Ehlers at the end of his rookie season says a lot.

I think a lot of GM's would be happy to trade a top 10 pick for him, but you're saying you wouldn't take him to move down in the draft. He's had 2 years of development, and you completely remove the risk that you draft a Yakupov or a Dal Colle. Or a Virtanen;).

Again, I don't love the OP's idea, but I'm not sure the value is off by much.
Seems to me that Connor for a 1st is a win for Vancouver and Woo + Virtanen for a very late 1st is kind of bad value, too. It's more than Woo should cost on his own right now, and what do we want Virtanen for?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
> acquires a presumably high 1st to potentially draft a high end C prospect
> lottery protects it so that Hughes or Cozens won't be available for the Jets

Sick logic.

dman34

May 6, 2011
Doubt the Canucks trade any picks this year as the next draft is in Vancouver. Imagine getting the 4th pick and having to hand it over to the Jets. Even with adding Connor, I couldn't imagine the uproar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad