Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I hate to all hell how this team sits back on leads, and I still hate the gameplan, but I'm happy to see the team win and key players continuing to play well.

Dario posted a video tonight that speaks to the inherent flaws of Roy's system, I'll post it in the "Coaching or Core" thread since Hench did that very detailed analysis of Roy's scheme and what we see is pretty much spot-on with what he posted.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Lol Matt on After Hours. Talking about country music. Gross...

He has such a stereotypical country voice though.

Apparently he might be putting out some music?! He can partner with Roy's son :laugh:

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
How about shermy quits whining about shermy never winning an avs header. That would be a pleasant change from the last couple seasons.

Either it's rigged or they're never any good. Either way...

I'm convinced that I've been the runner up every single time.

And I only complain once every 2 months :sarcasm:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I hate to all hell how this team sits back on leads, and I still hate the gameplan, but I'm happy to see the team win and key players continuing to play well.

Dario posted a video tonight that speaks to the inherent flaws of Roy's system, I'll post it in the "Coaching or Core" thread since Hench did that very detailed analysis of Roy's scheme and what we see is pretty much spot-on with what he posted.
The breakout is a mess but the new neutral zone trap they did all game and have done the last few games has worked alright. It's a serious 1-3-1 with the last defender, usually the RD, sitting way back.

They're really forcing the other team to dump it in more. D zone still needs work but the neutral zone has cleaned up a lot.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Lol Matt on After Hours. Talking about country music. Gross...

He has such a stereotypical country voice though.

Apparently he might be putting out some music?! He can partner with Roy's son :laugh:

Please tell me they talked about more than country music, and Dutchy's solo record. Talk about amateuar hour interview if so. Dutchy's probably the best interview subject you can find. Well spoken, analytical, brutally honest, and gives long thoughtful answers. Ask him about hockey or the team.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The breakout is a mess but the new neutral zone trap they did all game and have done the last few games has worked alright. It's a serious 1-3-1 with the last defender, usually the RD, sitting way back.

They're really forcing the other team to dump it in more. D zone still needs work but the neutral zone has cleaned up a lot.

I think the 1-3-1 was more with the lead in the second half of the game. They had a lot of shifts where they were playing the way Roy likes them to play, with forecheckers jumping on the man immediately with the puck in his own zone, and then right after the pass is made to the next guy. A lot of shifts where they sent two forecheckers in to cause havoc too. Only difference was they were reading the play well, playing with jump, and competing hard, instead of being hesitant and giving them that split second chance to make a clean pass out of the zone.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Please tell me they talked about more than country music, and Dutchy's solo record. Talk about amateuar hour interview if so. Dutchy's probably the best interview subject you can find. Well spoken, analytical, brutally honest, and gives long thoughtful answers. Ask him about hockey or the team.

Yeah they talked about his dog too.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think the 1-3-1 was more with the lead in the second half of the game. They had a lot of shifts where they were playing the way Roy likes them to play, with forecheckers jumping on the man immediately with the puck in his own zone, and then right after the pass is made to the next guy. A lot of shifts where they sent two forecheckers in to cause havoc too. Only difference was they were reading the play well, playing with jump, and competing hard, instead of being hesitant and giving them that split second chance to make a clean pass out of the zone.
No, they were doing it all game, right from the start. I sit behind the opposing goalie for two periods and watched the setup with a perfect view. They've been doing it a few games now, Trotz even commented on it.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

Also asked about trade rumours and he said they motivated him if anything(not a distraction), his dog, the little girl with an illness he's close with, growing up an Avs fan and about his experience at the world cup with his Avs teammates. Maybe some other things I forgot as well.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
No, they were doing it all game, right from the start. They've been doing it a few games now.

No they were very aggressive early on in the game. Right from the first shift. They were not sitting back, they were forcing the defenders to make plays quickly.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Top line was great. Could have been even better if MacKinnon didn't miss the net so many times. He was flying out there.

I thought Comeau was really good tonight and I'd be saying that even if he didn't score that goal. That line got stuck in the defensive zone a couple of times but this is the type of game he needs to play all the time.

I still can't stand the PP. Doesn't matter if Iggy's out there or not, they do the same thing. MacKinnon just stands there with the puck trying to set up the one-timer on the other side. Usually it's to Iggy and tonight it was mostly EJ. It's as if that's the only play they have.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
No they were very aggressive early on in the game. Right from the first shift.
The forecheck isn't always going to be the same, but when the the Avs change and the opposing team has a clear breakout from their own end, the Avs setup in a 1-3-1. They did it all night, watched it all happen from behind Hutchison.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Matt was surprisingly candid in the interview.

- Said the trade talks came as a total shock. Affected him for half a day and then brushed it off.

-Spoke with Joe about the situation and said it will remain between he and Joe.

- Says he loves the pressure and so do Mack and Landy. Take pride in being the go to guys who are looked upon to produce every night.

- Jobs been alot easier now that hes playing with landy and Mack and on the wing.

- Country music blah blah blah.

-Been using the same stick all November and hasnt broken on him yet. Purple tape for little girl with the cancer.

-Wants to be an Av for life so long as they want him.

Matts a super smart and well spoken dude and seems like a genuinely good human. Glad to see hes lighting it up.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Top line was great. Could have been even better if MacKinnon didn't miss the net so many times. He was flying out there.

I thought Comeau was really good tonight and I'd be saying that even if he didn't score that goal. That line got stuck in the defensive zone a couple of times but this is the type of game he needs to play all the time.

I still can't stand the PP. Doesn't matter if Iggy's out there or not, they do the same thing. MacKinnon just stands there with the puck trying to set up the one-timer on the other side. Usually it's to Iggy and tonight it was mostly EJ. It's as if that's the only play they have.

Did you notice on the first PP when Mack held onto the puck and everyone stood still. Im almost positive it was mack that yelled, "move around!" I dont get why they dont do what worked the night before. The sedin slap tip worked last game and they didnt even attempt it this game for some reason. PP had alot of control tonight though and I liked that.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

They go from a trap-with-forecheck to no forecheck at all when trying to sit on a lead, especially if they have one in the closing minutes of the game.

My thoughts on the trap: Roy was far too reluctant to use it to begin with and it created yet another poor start, and IMO it's a band-aid solution on a very bad system.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Sweet. :facepalm:

This seems to happen every time with Avs players up north. I just don't they think give a **** about the Avs, so they just mail in the interview.

Hahaha I'm kidding there was some substance first.

Trade rumours: Said it rattled him for about 12 hours and then he started laughing at it. Talked to Sakic about it and it lit a fire under him. Says he want to be an Av for life as long as they are in a position to contest for playoffs.

Lots of pressure to produce on a line with MacK and Landy. It's their job. Said it's never easy, but it's easier playing with them.

Then I think they might have touched on the hot steak in November.

A funny part... they showed the World Championship picture of him, barrie, Mack, and ROR. Duchene said something along the lines of blah blah blah great teammates and colorado guys....Factor is in Buffalo now *COUGH* "excuse me"

Then they showed the pic of his dog and girlfriend in his bed. Went on to country music.

^Someone beat me to it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The forecheck isn't always going to be the same, but when the the Avs change and the opposing team has a clear breakout from their own end, the Avs setup in a 1-3-1. They did it all night, watched it all happen from behind Hutchison.

They do that when the opposition D starts off with time and space, like off a line change. They were making the simple play much more often tonight and dumping it in, that's why the play developed that way more often I agree. It wasn't their go to game plan to start the game though, it's situational. They still jump on the opposition in their own end aggressively to force turnovers when they're close to the action, and that gave them some success early on tonight, and gave the Jets some problems before they adjusted.

I might have misunderstood what you're saying though, I agree when the other team has time to set up, that has been their approach more often lately, and they played it well for the most part tonight. It's definitely a change from early on. It's a bit of a hybrid style though, as opposed to other teams where their main game plan is to sit back in a 1-3-1 style to patiently stifle the attack. They're not quite built to play that way effectively.

For instance when there's a loose puck along the wall or a turnover by the Avs in the zone, the F1 will jump on the puck carrier to force a pass, and the F2 will jump on the second guy if they're positioned properly instead of the F1 just backing off to clog the neutral zone by default. But if the opposition has time then they back up into that 1-3-1 positioning. You're right though, in the past they stayed aggressive on more plays than they have lately, and it's helping.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Hahaha I'm kidding there was some substance first.

Trade rumours: Said it rattled him for about 12 hours and then he started laughing at it. Talked to Sakic about it and it lit a fire under him. Says he want to be an Av for life as long as they are in a position to contest for playoffs.

Lots of pressure to produce on a line with MacK and Landy. It's their job. Said it's never easy, but it's easier playing with them.

Then I think they might have touched on the hot steak in November.

A funny part... they showed the World Championship picture of him, barrie, Mack, and ROR. Duchene said something along the lines of blah blah blah great teammates and colorado guys....Factor is in Buffalo now *COUGH* "excuse me"

Then they showed the pic of his dog and girlfriend in his bed. Went on to country music.

^Someone beat me to it.

He hates Ryan O'Reilly so much that he wont even call him by his government name :sarcasm:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Did you notice on the first PP when Mack held onto the puck and everyone stood still. Im almost positive it was mack that yelled, "move around!" I dont get why they dont do what worked the night before. The sedin slap tip worked last game and they didnt even attempt it this game for some reason. PP had alot of control tonight though and I liked that.

Something I did notice is Mack would pass to Lando into the slot who would immediately send it back to Mack...same positioning everytime while Lando was surrounded, did it like 7 or 8 times and it did absolutely nothing to help the PP. That PP really needs to move around more and quit doing the same one timer attempt to the guy on the left point.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
What I don't like about the PP is that they take away MacKinnon as a shooting option and he's got a good shot from the other circle. I would almost prefer having EJ on the point, Barrie where MacKinnon is now and MacKinnon on the other side and have Barrie run the PP from the right half-board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad