Post-Game Talk: Jets at Rangers 12/2/2013

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
The biggest problem on this team is that our draft failures of the early to mid 2000's have come home to roost. If we had actually drafted well during this period, our picks would be in their primes and leading the team. Instead we are forced to rely on players who are either too early in their careers, not talented enough or over the hill.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
giradi and staal

are redundant in this line up. both play solid d, will chip in a goal once and a while, but neither are a threat to score, not overly physical, and have their constant brain farts. one of them should be package for a legitimate finisher.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
i dont sense as much accountability on this club as before. Torts held you responsible for your play, shift to shift, game to game...AV isnt really like that...he more....guilts you into playing better...

like the passive aggressive parent who just sighs in disappointment to their kids in hopes of getting them to feel shame and be better...rather than the task master who tells them to get off their *****.

i just dont feel this club reacts as well to the softie as they do to the hard ass.

Torts got the guys playing hard almost every night....i cant really say the same for AV.

The level of inconsistency is amazing--it hasn't been this bad since Renney's last season. There are so many holes--especially up the middle. The Brassard experiment is not working well and it puts a lot of pressure on the other centers. And AV seems more interested in playing head games (why not tell your goalies' who's starting on Sunday?), than working on making the parts of this roster fit together better.

There was method to Tortorella's madness, I'm not sure if the methods that AV relies on will work for a group of players whose core is made up of hard working, but not the most skilled players.

ajdj10

Feb 14, 2012
Neverland
I didn't get to watch the game but I thought we were supposed to win since we scored the first goal?
What happened?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Bad puck management.

This is definitely a torn in the side of us that really stings us in all aspects when it comes to establishing a platform and confidence as like a top 4-6 teams at least in the East.

I mean, we make good plays on a regular basis. We have very good stretches during games, against all teams really. But, we take stupid decisions at a regular basis too. We fail to execute simple passes. We fail to handle pucks when pressured.

And a big part of the problem is that maybe our "worst offenders" at times are "core"-players. Its Callahan or Girardi. Staal. McD. These guys gotta lead the way, but instead they just as often sweep the legs from under the team with a boneheaded play or a bad pass or whatever.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
So there we go again. We lost a fight when Falk got destroyed, and the momentum turned in favor of the Jets for the rest of the game. We've been undressed since then.

Who said a tough heavyweight isn't important...Falk is useless.

I'd say that giveaway by Brassard was a much bigger game changer. I say heavyweight isn't important when scoring is the issue.

Nash need to step up his game, still recovering from the injury I guess. Hagelin was good, but need to score.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Not sure if you're serious using that as a defense. You think brad richards is playing well? and you think buying him out won't make this team 10000X better?

No. Who is to replace him? You do know he has most points on the team? I'm not saying he is awesome, but he is certainly better than last season.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
People act like we're a good team though, that this is a game we are supposed to win.

The bottom line is, we are no better than the Jets.

They're 13-12-4 and we're 14-14.

There are no easy games for us, because frankly, we're not better than the vast majority of teams in the league. We are the definition of mediocre.

This sums up how I've felt and I think it's very accurate. We just need to temper expectations, both after a good win, and after a bad loss.

Mediocrity says it in the word. Medium. We're right in the middle and will continue to be unless something changes one way or the other.

Fun wins, followed by disappointing losses. That's the way of the season. I'm rollin' with it.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Not sure if you're serious using that as a defense. You think brad richards is playing well? and you think buying him out won't make this team 10000X better?

How will buying him out make the team better? It's not like the cap space will suddenly score 80 points for us. There is absolutely no doubt that Richards needs to be bought out, but it's not because he's too bad to play in the NHL, it's because of the recapture.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Stepan hate is hilarious. Just last summer he was untouchable , a bona fida number 1 C, and all these great things. Now you guys want him traded for a turkey sandwich. This although he is second on the team in points.

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
The biggest problem on this team is that our draft failures of the early to mid 2000's have come home to roost. If we had actually drafted well during this period, our picks would be in their primes and leading the team. Instead we are forced to rely on players who are either too early in their careers, not talented enough or over the hill.

Yup, I see one overarching problem here. Sather. Soon to be 14 years with him in charge and we have one Eastern Conference Final to show for it. 14 years and 6 different coaches. But it's obvious Dolan's passion is the Knicks and is just happy enough if our team is able to claw its way into the playoffs just to get some postseason revenue. Sather used to say "If I had the Rangers' money and resources, I'd win the Stanley Cup every year." Nope. Then again, I see why no one is bringing him up...he's here til he's ****ing dead. :shakehead:cry::shakehead

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Hopefully not too much longer. I'm tired of him taking zero blame for icing the worst rangers team in half a decade, especially after we just ran a coach out of town while playing playoff hockey.

Our defense looks the worst it ever has. I'm not a fan of playing man-D, and we've seen each and every defenseman play their worst hockey under it.

Offense? It's the same. Maybe worse.

Battle level? Hardly there. The blue-collar blueshirts are no more.

Resilience? HA! This team has a Masters degree from Columbia in Buckling Under Adversity.

I'd prefer dump and chase to endless neutral zone turnovers and no look passes at our own blue-line.

Most of all, I hate that ****ing gum chewing. Non-stop. I can't stand it.

I'm willing to give the man the benefit of the doubt thus far and some time to turn it around. This was always going to be a tough and time consuming transition.

But as of December 3,2013 I don't disagree with a word of this post. At points every single worst case scenario of the shift in philosophy seems to be coming true. Sure, lets trade all of our proven top 4 dmen for moar skill because they can't play man d. There is a reason why most NHL teams don't play man d. I hope people are happy with the "pretty" moments. Myself I prefer winning.

Only light at the end of the tunnel is that when things click they look good. Question is, how consistently will they be able to click.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The level of inconsistency is amazing--it hasn't been this bad since Renney's last season. There are so many holes--especially up the middle. The Brassard experiment is not working well and it puts a lot of pressure on the other centers. And AV seems more interested in playing head games (why not tell your goalies' who's starting on Sunday?), than working on making the parts of this roster fit together better.

There was method to Tortorella's madness, I'm not sure if the methods that AV relies on will work for a group of players whose core is made up of hard working, but not the most skilled players.
It is not simply amazing, it is alarming. It is not so much the group of players, but the fact that Torts simply got every ounce of success possible from the players. AV does not seem to be able to do that. The players may have chaffed under Tortarella's yoke, but they still played hard each night and played exactly the way that he wanted them to play. Because if they did not, first their playing time was cut and then they were not dressed at all.

The players do not fear AV. Plain and simple. This feel good atmosphere is backfiring.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm willing to give the man the benefit of the doubt thus far and some time to turn it around. This was always going to be a tough and time consuming transition.
Third of the way through the season. And the record and the results are of an absolute mediocre team. And not just that, but the lack of effort. People are supposed to have patience, but my patience for lack of effort and the non existent battle level has run out.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Third of the way through the season. And the record and the results are of an absolute mediocre team. And not just that, but the lack of effort. People are supposed to have patience, but my patience for lack of effort and the non existent battle level has run out.

I hear you. I don't blame you. Effort/battle level issues are definitely the toughest part to watch.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
So there we go again. We lost a fight when Falk got destroyed, and the momentum turned in favor of the Jets for the rest of the game. We've been undressed since then.

Who said a tough heavyweight isn't important...Falk is useless.

I was in the kitchen for both goals but when I stayed in my room for the rest of the game we couldn't score. Cause and effect are important.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
This is definitely a torn in the side of us that really stings us in all aspects when it comes to establishing a platform and confidence as like a top 4-6 teams at least in the East.

I mean, we make good plays on a regular basis. We have very good stretches during games, against all teams really. But, we take stupid decisions at a regular basis too. We fail to execute simple passes. We fail to handle pucks when pressured.

And a big part of the problem is that maybe our "worst offenders" at times are "core"-players. Its Callahan or Girardi. Staal. McD. These guys gotta lead the way, but instead they just as often sweep the legs from under the team with a boneheaded play or a bad pass or whatever.
Yes, you're in trouble when your supposed core plays like they've been rookies for 5-6 years now. It has always been the problem, the NYR core are terrible puckhandlers and can't handle pressure. Girardi is one of the worst puckhandlers in the league, Staal is now unfortunately half blind because he refused to wear a visor, Del Zotto has always been an inconsistent trainwreck who looks terrible under pressure, Callahan doesn't have much else going than his work ethics and crashing the crease, Richards is a bad player occassionally playing good, Nash is not a franchise forward but an excellent complimentary player to the actual star player on a team... the list of problems is endless. In fact, it would be much easier to mention the positives.

Last edited:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I hear you. I don't blame you. Effort/battle level issues are definitely the toughest part to watch.

Yup. There used to be a mandate on this team that if you didnt play hard every single shift, you didnt play. Maybe it was time for Torts to go, maybe it wasnt, but Sather further poisoned the well by talking about how that team was awful to watch, how they wanted to be a skilled based team, how the guys should just have fun out there.

Well, they sure as **** look like they're having fun now not hitting a damn soul out there and coasting their way through games. It sure is fun as a fan watching a team with little top end skill try ridiculous passes resulting in dozens of turnovers per game.

How thats old song go? "Ya dont know what ya got til its gone."

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Nobody likes this team. Everyone knows people only like teams who dominate their opponent's night in and night out.

No, people like teams who play hard night after night. This team has shown an inability or unwillingness to do that. And their record reflects it.

The new system is no longer an excuse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad