Friedman: Jets are not rebuilding, want NHL players back if they trade core pieces

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Why even put that out there? Do some research and figure out if it remotely makes sense for Winnipeg (pro-tip: it doesn’t).

I feel like I am in a jungle, swinging my machete to clear away posters that aren’t providing quality posts LOL.
I dont think the Jets are as stacked on LD as you think they are. They also have D that can play either side to make things work. Value wise, I think its close with minor picks to even it out

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I dont think the Jets are as stacked on LD as you think they are. They also have D that can play either side to make things work. Value wise, I think its close with minor picks to even it out

Here is a recent post I made on the subject. Feel free to critique it:

LHD

Jets have a bit of a glut on LHD. Arguably, Samberg should be able to step up to a second pairing (maybe as soon as this year). Dillon could be traded by this TDL depending on how the Jets do. I would be surprised if the Jets extended him (only because we need the slot for other players).

Heinola is pushing for a spot and we also have Logan Stanley. The left side is good for a few years.

RHD

This is a big weakness. DeMelo has been our most consistent RHD. I can see the Jets extending him (he has already extended with Winnipeg previously). Schmidt, not extending. Pionk... maybe. He hasn't been very consistent these past two years.

Whenever users propose trades to the Jets, they often suggest an LHD, which is almost pointless. A RHD? Yeah, we're very interested in that.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
rofl, I don't think any actual thought was put into this.. and if pld was to sign a ridiculously low offer sheet and we were to trade him before then we wouldn't be taking a discount if anything pld @ 2.1 would give us a massive increase
What? Either I misunderstood your post or you don't realize the Jets can't trade PLD if he signs an OS (whether you match or not)

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
What? Either I misunderstood your post or you don't realize the Jets can't trade PLD if he signs an OS (whether you match or not)

Do you think realistically Chevy will leave the PLD situation go until past the deadline for a OS before resolving it? That would be gross incompetence and completely none logical, especially consider he's listed so desirable this summer by insiders by multi teams.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Winnipeg could have such a nice turnaround.

ReTool around Connor/Ehlers and Morrissey

Schiefele 50 % would be a great return ( 1st Young top 6/ top 4 Player )

Hellebyuck would grab a 1st +

Lowry's return would surprise

Wheeler @ 50 would probably grab a 2nd / 3rd (Addition by subtraction he's toxic imo)

PLD would grab a lot as well if they can't sign him
Exactly! Play their cards right, get a little creative and they could reshape the team for the now and future with a surplus of picks/prospects .

Reactions: nickdawg95

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

In some cases a nice long term offer sheet might be more worth it long term for us.

Reactions: MXD

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Here's why the Habs would easily balk on PLD.

1. Habs 5OA pick may turn out to be a coveted C in Will Smith / Carlsson.
2. Dach showed significant development offensively and at C last season.

If Habs draft one of the bluechip C's, then it is very unlikely they would have an immediate interest in PLD and would likely opt to wait and see if he becomes a UFA and evaluate if its worth signing him after determining what his price/salary would be. PLD in that scenario would be signed as a winger. Waiting a year also gives the Habs more time to evaluate Dach who has earned the 2C role in Montreal based on his breakthrough season and this time around will have wingers to play with (assuming injuries do not decimate the Habs like last season).

There is very little reason for the Habs to trade Dach now when he showed promise and is on a very team friendly contract (3 more years at 3.3 AAV). That contract alone boosts Dach's value to the Habs.

There is little reason for the Jets to trade PLD to Montreal for a substandard return like Fla 1st + Dvorak + Prospect(s) when they should be able to get more for PLD elsewhere even as a 1 year rental. Even including Mesar/Beck shouldn't move the needle for Winnipeg (nor for the Habs who can patiently wait and see what happens with PLD).

And if it all goes wrong for the Habs at 2C (unlikely), they may still get PLD as a UFA....
Carlsson and Smith go 3 and 4 in my opinion.

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Except he is a C with the Habs and finished the seaoas C. So there’s that…

Either way its moot. The Habs won't trade him in a PLD deal. Makes zero sense for the Habs for all the reasons you are unable to comprehend. See my messages. ;)
Because Habs fans over rate Dach. Gotcha ;)

Reactions: Buffdog

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I don’t see how Dach is going to be a Centre with the Habs. Susuki is already in the top 6. Isn’t it expected the Habs take a Centre with their first pick this year? Where does that leave Dach? 3rd line?
That remains to be seen but MSL said it multiple times this year that he seed Dach at Center for a long time. There are rumours out there that Montreal might go with Reinbacher if Smith/Carlsson are already taken when they will go to the podium. They might also take Michkov which is a winger. There’s also the odd chance that if they pick a center at 5 he doesn’t pan out.

You can never have too many centers and if Montreal has the chance to have Dach, Suzuki and PLD in their line-up I’m sure they will make it work.. somehow. I bet its a *good* problem that many GMs around the league wish they had

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
I'm done with this team for a long while if they actually go this route. They desperately need to rebuild.

Hope sells. Bullshit doesn't. If they're worried about ticket sales, then get some exciting young players who will play their butts off even if they're not good yet. Don't trot Wheeler out there 20 minutes a night for a farewell tour and pretend you're contenders.

Reactions: kenobiwan

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Do you think realistically Chevy will leave the PLD situation go until past the deadline for a OS before resolving it? That would be gross incompetence and completely none logical, especially consider he's listed so desirable this summer by insiders by multi teams.
Absolutely not.
It's just that something didn't compute in the post.

they trade him before the draft... where he can't be offer sheeted
Ah. Okay.
So before he gets an offer in the first place.

Fair enough :)

LVCarson

Jul 19, 2022
hi is probably ROFL when he reads what people think he will sign for
I am sure many of PLDs friends have kept him up to date what Montreal fans think of him. Things like he isn’t as good as Suzuki or Caulfield, he is not worth the money they make, he will be a 2C in Montreal, he is a head case that fans want nothing to do with, he will have to take a pay cut if he wants to play there, he isn’t worth trading assets for, he is going to have to take a second job doing ads to bump up his salary. He isn’t about to join that shit show just to be on a basement dweller. I am sure he is ROFL at all these things. He will definitely wait a year for the cap goes up and demand 10m+, especially the way the Habs are handing out 8M contracts to unproven players who should be making 2-3m on bridge contracts. He is going to get paid, but it won’t be with a team where he has to put up with those comments.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
He might be actually (if we are trading both Scheifele and Dubois this offseason) but we certainly would be getting something significant from Montreal, like Dach (along with Dvorak)
But @TS Quint just said Dach isn’t a center so who’s going to be 1C for Winnipeg :sarcasm:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Because Habs fans over rate Dach. Gotcha ;)
Because there is no need to include Dach or even propose a trade. Hughes just waits til next offseason to sign PLd for free. And that’s only if there is a need.

PLD wants to be a Hab but the Habs are not required to fulfill his dreams. I will put in a good word for him with Hughes. ;)

Carlson and Smith go 3 and 4 in my opinion.
As a Habs fan, that would be ideal! Mitchkov at 5 would be sublime!

Reactions: ole ole

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Because there is no need to include Dach or even propose a trade. Hughes just waits til next offseason to sign PLd for free. And that’s only if there is a need.

PLD wants to be a Hab but the Habs are not required to fulfill his dreams. I will put in a good word for him with Hughes. ;)

As a Habs fan, that would be ideal! Mitchkov at 5 would be sublime!
Agreed. He will perfect for coming over in 5 years or so when the Habs want to make the playoffs again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad