Proposal: Jets and Rangers

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Trouba oft injured and slow.... was a swinging picket fence in playoffs... most overated player on hf..... Brady has more upside.
Yeah, it's not like having positive shot metrics and goal differential is anything to write home about for a top pairing defenseman who plays the shutdown role.

Over the last two years, Skjei has bled chances against in a much more sheltered role, whereas Trouba has had above average results his top competition playing large minutes every night. Their point production at ES is, funnily enough, 8G 32A for both - the difference is that Trouba has achieved that in over 500 less minutes.

So... yeah, Skjei doesn't hold a candle to either Trouba or his potential.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I don't care about value. I said I'd rather keep the better player which is Trouba.
So Lucic is better than Tanner Glass. You would rather his shit contract then glasses 1 year 800k contract. CAUSE VALUE DOESNT MATTER JUST THE BETTER PLAYER.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
So Lucic is better than Tanner Glass. You would rather his **** contract then glasses 1 year 800k contract. CAUSE VALUE DOESNT MATTER JUST THE BETTER PLAYER.
Lucic doesn't play for the Jets, so I couldn't care less. Both Lucic and Glass are deadweight.

What I'm saying is; the downgrade from Trouba to Skjei is not made up by Skjei's contract. So, I will keep the vastly superior player, Trouba.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
They're both RFA's, if Trouba gets a larger contract it's because he has shown that he is worth more. Trouba is a better player than Skjei, and is therefore worth more. This is exactly the same as suggesting Schiefele is worth more than McDavid. This isn't meant as a slight to Skjei and certainly not to Schiefele who is one of my favourite players, but when one player is that much better than the other, they are more valuable even if they are more expensive. Suggesting otherwise is wrong.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I like Trouba. My feeling is the Rangers don't need to be in on Trouba because they likely won't be all that competitive for the next 2 seasons or so. That said, I wouldn't pay him what the rumors of his next contract will be.

At this point Skjei is McD's replacement, he isn't going anywhere.
The Rangers are in a rebuild, they have some time to develop the stable of young defenders that they acquired.
Picking up Trouba now seems like a waste for at least the next 2 seasons.

Reactions: slg1963

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Trouba is better than Skjei but not that much better. Skjei + Names + a 2nd is too much.

And anyway from what i've learned on HF is that its impossible to make a thread involving Jets players. Jets fans are convinced their players are better than anyone else's and every single deal is insulting to them and they don't want to give up ANYTHING to get anything. So move on.

Reactions: Rangers_23

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Yeah, it's not like having positive shot metrics and goal differential is anything to write home about for a top pairing defenseman who plays the shutdown role.

Over the last two years, Skjei has bled chances against in a much more sheltered role, whereas Trouba has had above average results his top competition playing large minutes every night. Their point production at ES is, funnily enough, 8G 32A for both - the difference is that Trouba has achieved that in over 500 less minutes.

Trouba might be the most overrated player in the league. His offense is for the most part, non existent. His defense isn't elite. Skjei already has a higher career point total in a season. Last season the coach lost the team. Don't put much into Skjei's year. Coach was also playing him with AHL defenseman. Plus, it's not like Trouba is playing 27-30 minutes a game. He's a 20 minute a game defenseman with below average offensive skills. If he was all world defensively that would be something different. He's not.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
Trouba might be the most overrated player in the league. His offense is for the most part, non existent. His defense isn't elite. Skjei already has a higher career point total in a season. Last season the coach lost the team. Don't put much into Skjei's year. Coach was also playing him with AHL defenseman. Plus, it's not like Trouba is playing 27-30 minutes a game. He's a 20 minute a game defenseman with below average offensive skills. If he was all world defensively that would be something different. He's not.

How is his defense not elite? Buff might get more ice time, but Trouba and Morrissey are the guys that get put out against other teams top lines. As for his offence, he has put up 57 points in 115 games over the last two years which is 0.496ppg. Skjei on the other hand put up 64 in 162 or 0.395ppg. Trouba isn't the #1 defenceman that some people here claim, but he is a top pairing guy, anyone that claims different doesn't watch him play enough. Skjei is a very talented young dman, but he isn't in the same class as Trouba.

Reactions: Snowman

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
What's lost here is that it's not about "Keeping the better defensemen". If Trouba is being moved, it's because they can't come to terms, or they don't want to pay him what he's worth. So if there's an agreement to extend him for the club he's agreed to commit long term with, then you're trading for position of need / value coming back.

There's no reason for the Jets to trade him unless there's disagreement in negotiation terms and they don't feel they can sign him long term.

While he's the better player, I don't want Rangers committing to 8 million for him. (although he probably gets a little less)

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Some posts worth noting.
Trouba is an exceptional skater

oft injured
High ankle sprain last year and freak accident his rookie year. This doesn’t add up to "injury prone". For some reason people seem to think his holdout in 16/17 should count as an injury…

His offense is for the most part, non existent.
If 4th in the NHL in 5v5 points per game over the last 2 years is "non existent" I wonder what counts and good.

His defense isn't elite

The numbers say:
troubja94

Skjei in comparison…
skjeibr94

Last edited by a moderator:

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Problem with Trouba has always been the same. He's a legend in his own mind. He can't grasp the fact when you don't have a lot of offensive skills and you aren't Norris level defensively, you don't deserve to get paid among the games best. Look at Doughty's career compared to Trouba's. Trouba is garbage compared to him. Doughty's basically playing on a team with about 2-3 good, offensive players. Trouba's team is stacked. Doughty also plays have the freakin game. That's a guy that deserves 8 million a year. Most Trouba deserves is 5.5 a year. That's it.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Problem with Trouba has always been the same. He's a legend in his own mind. He can't grasp the fact when you don't have a lot of offensive skills and you aren't Norris level defensively, you don't deserve to get paid among the games best. Look at Doughty's career compared to Trouba's. Trouba is garbage compared to him. Doughty's basically playing on a team with about 2-3 good, offensive players. Trouba's team is stacked. Doughty also plays have the freakin game. That's a guy that deserves 8 million a year. Most Trouba deserves is 5.5 a year. That's it.

You do understand Trouba asking for 8 millions doesn't mean he is expecting 8m. Your post kinda reads like this is your first free agency. Trouba asks for 8m. Jets offer 4m. They fight over semantics and meet in the middle. This is how every negotiating in the history of the cap has worked. Probably 6 years at 6-6.5m which is a fair deal. If Trouba was a UFA he could get 6.5m easy if not more. So getting him for anything on the lower side of 6 is solid.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Trouba is better than Skjei but not that much better. Skjei + Names + a 2nd is too much.

And anyway from what i've learned on HF is that its impossible to make a thread involving Jets players. Jets fans are convinced their players are better than anyone else's and every single deal is insulting to them and they don't want to give up ANYTHING to get anything. So move on.

I agree with you about Skjei.................................... having Shattenkirk and Pionk and even ADA, doesn't make Trouba entirely necessary to a re building team. The Rangers shouldn't be in on him.

Reactions: Monument

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
What a load of shit. That non-existent offense has him at 21st among defensemen in ES points/60. Skjei, on the other hand, is at... let's see... 142nd. In 60 minutes of ES play, Trouba literally scores over 0.5 more points than Skjei. Trouba manages to be a positive shot impact player and has had tremendous success in a shutdown role playing against top competition. Skjei hasn't had results anywhere near those of Trouba's in a sheltered role anywhere on the ice.

Although looking at the rest of your post, this seems to be a case of hatred affecting judgment more than anything else.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Trouba has been better than Skjei with tougher competition. That's pretty clear...

Trouba Skjei.png

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Some posts worth noting.

Trouba is an exceptional skater

High ankle sprain last year and freak accident his rookie year. This doesn’t add up to "injury prone". For some reason people seem to think his holdout in 16/17 should count as an injury…

If 4th in the NHL in 5v5 points per game over the last 2 years is "non existent" I wonder what counts and good.

The numbers say:
troubja94

Skjei in comparison…
skjeibr94

While my fellow Rangers fans are definitely underrating trouba by a good margin, that shot-heat chart is deceiving as the Rangers defense was one giant sieve last season thanks to AV's "system" and injuries

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Trouba is not getting an $8m contract. I really don't know why that keeps on dominating these trade discussions.

I think the Jets might like Skjei
, so him plus a decent add might do the trick.
Of course. The Jets like any good or potentially good plater. But Skjei doesn't move the needle in a trade for Trouba as more than an add.

Reactions: Snowman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad