Jets and Hawks played 6 on 6 for 30 seconds.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Hawks got caught with a to many players on the ice penalty last night and didn't remove the player and the Jets pulled the goalie so for 30 seconds their were 6 jets forwards/D against hawk 6 forward/D and goalie. I've been watching hockey for over 40 years and never seen a team keep 6 players (not including the goalie) on the ice for over 30 seconds. Anyone else ever see this?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I've always wondered why we don't see more teams take penalties in the last 20 seconds to defend the lead. Just don't touch the puck, slash the crosscheck as much as you want

Reactions: zar

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Seems like a smart tactic. Can they call multiple too many men penalties? If you’ve already been caught with 6, why not just send out a few more guys to prevent any scoring chance? :laugh:
That might lead to an automatic 10 game suspension for leaving the bench, even though it would not be for the purposes of starting a brawl...I'm just speculating but wondering if the same rules would apply.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's a weird sort of circumvention of the rules. If other coaches start adopting the tactic (intentionally icing six players, because, hell, you're already getting the penalty) the play should be blown dead without possession and there should be an extra minor assessed to the bench for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I've always wondered why we don't see more teams take penalties in the last 20 seconds to defend the lead. Just don't touch the puck, slash the crosscheck as much as you want

I think the ref would just blow the play dead if you were making a mockery of the sport.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
To this very day I thought the play is immediately blown dead when the refs realize a team plays or played with too many men. You learn something new every day.

Reactions: Pouliot

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Similar footage from a game last year. Tim Peel was the ref and he totally missed it.

Q8mbj0U.jpg

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Eh, there's no need for a rule change. In almost any similar situation, the ref can call a new penalty. You send out a 7th guy, the ref can easily call a second too many men or even an unsportsmanlike or whatever. If all you're doing is leaving your 6th out that you already got called for, congrats, you beat the system by gaining a minor, situational advantage, that at best can result in a slightly quicker puck touch followed by killing the same penalty anyway. No big deal.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Hawks got caught with a to many players on the ice penalty last night and didn't remove the player and the Jets pulled the goalie so for 30 seconds their were 6 jets forwards/D against hawk 6 forward/D and goalie. I've been watching hockey for over 40 years and never seen a team keep 6 players (not including the goalie) on the ice for over 30 seconds. Anyone else ever see this?

Yes. Penguins played with 6 players for 45ish seconds during game 3 of their second series agaisnt the Red Wings. Officials were caught on mic telling them to “get off”, rather than call the penalty.

As the Wings were up 2-0 at the time, I genuinely believe the league was scared the Wings would sweep their golden boy, and instructed preferential treatment for that game. If you think that could never happen, please remember the NHL is a for profit business first. It’s naive to think they don’t have preferred winners or an incentive to extend series. Bias aside, it really was one of the most one sided officiated games I’ve ever seen.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
The Blackhawks almost went the entire first period without a shot. They were playing so poorly at that time that the 6 guys weren't even noticeable to me. That was probably the worst period of hockey I've ever seen a team play.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Yes. Penguins played with 6 players for 45ish seconds during game 3 of their second series agaisnt the Red Wings. Officials were caught on mic telling them to “get off”, rather than call the penalty.

As the Wings were up 2-0 at the time, I genuinely believe the league was scared the Wings would sweep their golden boy, and instructed preferential treatment for that game. If you think that could never happen, please remember the NHL is a for profit business first. It’s naive to think they don’t have preferred winners or an incentive to extend series. Bias aside, it really was one of the most one sided officiated games I’ve ever seen.
Refs do that all the time.

You are going to believe whatever nonsense you want to believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad