TSN: Jets and Byfuglien working on a mutual termination

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I haven't been following closely, is he retiring? Or is he looking to play elsewhere?

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
If he wants to play there is the Leafs RHD right there, maybe they sign Buff and don't need to trade Kap Johnsson or Keefoot

If he wants to play, qnd a chance at the cup Toronto would be a great fit.

Hard to say that's the case though, having already won and having piles of cash.

Reactions: hn777

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
He did the ankle surgery but apparently hasn't taken the next step to rehab and even get on the ice.

We're not likely to see him playing this year (yet alone in any productive manner) for any team, even if he does become a UFA.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
...I don't get it. Wasn't it easier and less expensive to just get on LTIR?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I know Friedge said last week that it looks like he won’t be ready to play this year but if that were true why would he agree to a mutual termination right now? Wouldn’t be wait until the offseason so he can at least get paid (if the legalities work out in his favor).

If he’s ready this year I see Colorado as a serious destination. Most cap space in the league. Currently playing left shot Ian Cole on the right side since they only have two RHD. They can give him more money than any other team and they have a glaring need for him while being considered a contender. I see the fit.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What does Byfuglien want from the Jets? Is he on LTIR?

He wanted to sit at home and get paid... this came after his "thinking retirement" narrative a month before the season. Then all of a sudden, he had an injury. Is he getting paid by insurance as a LTIR contract? Cap friendly has him suspended without pay.

He's holding the Jets cap space hostage even while he is on LTIR. I feel for the Jets situation and mutually agreeing to terminate the contract is probably for the best at this stage. Jets get to use that cap space now without worrying about him all of a sudden saying he is healthy again.

However, imagine if he signs a contract with the Leafs or Lightning shortly after the mutual termination?

Reactions: DarthProbert

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Why didn't he just go on LTIR for the ankle problem, collect his check, then retire at the end of the season?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'd bet a lot of money he doesnt get along with the guys in the room and wants to get outta there. He'll come back to a team with a better room and a city where he wont be recognized.

Kinda surprised the Jets are willing to terminate and not try to trade him instead

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
That's what I was thinking as well. Buff likely would sign a Kovalchuk contract but with a contender if he was free to do so for the rest of the year. Leafs and Lightning would come to mind.
No idea how we fit him in under the cap...but i would be all for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad