Post-Game Talk: Jets 7 - Avs 6, Jets lead series 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Odd take, since winning games are what you need to win a series. Guess I just don't understand.

I think it was a poor choice of words on his part - and he has been dumped on for it.
Something like ...... can't like the style of game they played, in spite of the win, because they won't likely win another playing that way. Or words to that effect.

I liked the win and it was a fun game to watch, even with the clenching the last 5 minutes. But I really hope the Jets didn't go home last night thinking they could get away with that kind of play again.

Reactions: Atoyot

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Miller for Pionk? That's crazy talk bro! Yes, Pionk made those mistakes, but he made a bunch of outstanding plays as he always does.

Re: StanBerg
There was a few times yesterday when I was thinking back to 88-54 and what a good shutdown pair that was earlier in the season, but I can also imagine how 88 may have gotten totally worked over in that game. That game was a nightmare for d (both teams) with the speed through the neutral zone and the relentless forecheck
That's fair. I am a big Pionk fan, I might be getting hyper focused on his borked passes and clearing attempts

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
So a few more thoughts TLDR alert

Credit to the Avs for coming out like house on fire and playing so fast all over the ice. They dictated the style of play right off the hop and really for most of the game.

One of the reasons our D looked a bit rattled was that Bones was using that old school Hartley in Calgary break out system where the strong side forward was up around the centre line waiting to receive a stretch pass and tip it in the ozone. The problem was Colorado was overloading the boards on the strong side and tended to have two layers of players between our defender and his target. Combine it with a fast F1 forecheck against and our defenders were getting hung out to dry without a good 1st pass option. It started working a bit better when we targeted the middle of the ice for the tip and abandoned the strong side boards but it created allot of chaos and turnovers with our forwards being on the high side of their man on the post turnover counter attack and creating odd man problems.

The main challenge Stanley had was when Colorado chose to dump it to his side the F1 would be on top of him and Stan would continually choose to ignore the puck and play the body only at the boards during retreat. On most of the occasions he would lose that puck battle and the Lanche would establish possession. The D man needs to get back and get the first touch on the puck with his stick even if he is under duress, or at least get that done most of the time. He was "ok" when he had time and space but that wasn't very often last night. After the Samberg-Stanley FU on the goal against I think Bones lost a bit of confidence in the pair and seemed to really shelter them. We need Samberg to play well in this series and I think he is fully capable of that if he is playing on the left side with more of a puck moving partner. I think Bones thought Stanley's size and physicality would be an asset but he was struggling too much with the speed of the forecheck and for the most part he was losing the puck battles on the boards. No shame in it, the game was fast and furious and it made allot of players look similar. I think playing a guy that is a bit more use to the playoff pressure would help.

Honestly, I didn't think Helly played that badly. The 3rd goal was a howler and that can't happen but other than that it seemed to be screens, tips, bounces, or him getting totally hung out to dry (goal two). Connor was under siege for allot of the game and made lots of really good stops too. Now it saying that "not playing badly" is not going to be good enough, he's going to need to be our best player most nights.

I can also take Colorado to the wood shed too, we got three of our goals on forced turnovers, sloppy defense, blown coverages when they were on a man, screens as well. Sure their goalie played poorly and has to be better but we made them look really bad when we could actually control the play in their zone.

Either way it was one for the ages to be at.............somebody posted this was like that 8-7 game we had with the Flyers lite and that was spot on.

Odd comment alert, one of my favorite Jets last night was Namestnikov, he was playing with allot of confidence and I think he looked really good. Hopefully they can get him a bit more TOI.

Oh and if I didn't mention it watching Nate MacKinnon out there is really something to behold. Too bad its happening against the team I am desperately cheering for.
Great analysis

I think posters get fixated on stats but don't watch the game on a level that can accurately describe why the numbers reflect what they do. To me, that's the real value behind stats - identifying areas where a player and/or the team need to improve

Reactions: ps241

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
So a few more thoughts TLDR alert

Credit to the Avs for coming out like house on fire and playing so fast all over the ice. They dictated the style of play right off the hop and really for most of the game.

One of the reasons our D looked a bit rattled was that Bones was using that old school Hartley in Calgary break out system where the strong side forward was up around the centre line waiting to receive a stretch pass and tip it in the ozone. The problem was Colorado was overloading the boards on the strong side and tended to have two layers of players between our defender and his target. Combine it with a fast F1 forecheck against and our defenders were getting hung out to dry without a good 1st pass option. It started working a bit better when we targeted the middle of the ice for the tip and abandoned the strong side boards but it created allot of chaos and turnovers with our forwards being on the high side of their man on the post turnover counter attack and creating odd man problems.

The main challenge Stanley had was when Colorado chose to dump it to his side the F1 would be on top of him and Stan would continually choose to ignore the puck and play the body only at the boards during retreat. On most of the occasions he would lose that puck battle and the Lanche would establish possession. The D man needs to get back and get the first touch on the puck with his stick even if he is under duress, or at least get that done most of the time. He was "ok" when he had time and space but that wasn't very often last night. After the Samberg-Stanley FU on the goal against I think Bones lost a bit of confidence in the pair and seemed to really shelter them. We need Samberg to play well in this series and I think he is fully capable of that if he is playing on the left side with more of a puck moving partner. I think Bones thought Stanley's size and physicality would be an asset but he was struggling too much with the speed of the forecheck and for the most part he was losing the puck battles on the boards. No shame in it, the game was fast and furious and it made allot of players look similar. I think playing a guy that is a bit more use to the playoff pressure would help.

Honestly, I didn't think Helly played that badly. The 3rd goal was a howler and that can't happen but other than that it seemed to be screens, tips, bounces, or him getting totally hung out to dry (goal two). Connor was under siege for allot of the game and made lots of really good stops too. Now it saying that "not playing badly" is not going to be good enough, he's going to need to be our best player most nights.

I can also take Colorado to the wood shed too, we got three of our goals on forced turnovers, sloppy defense, blown coverages when they were on a man, screens as well. Sure their goalie played poorly and has to be better but we made them look really bad when we could actually control the play in their zone.

Either way it was one for the ages to be at.............somebody posted this was like that 8-7 game we had with the Flyers lite and that was spot on.

Odd comment alert, one of my favorite Jets last night was Namestnikov, he was playing with allot of confidence and I think he looked really good. Hopefully they can get him a bit more TOI.

Oh and if I didn't mention it watching Nate MacKinnon out there is really something to behold. Too bad its happening against the team I am desperately cheering for.

Love this analysis!

In your view, did the Jets change their breakout substantially from the 7-0 game at the end of the year? My recollection of that game was that the Avs had an aggressive forecheck but the Jets were able to move the puck fast, leading to easy exits and entries.

Reactions: ps241

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
So I think that the 2nd line has the biggest chance to be difference makers in this series.
They were held off the board yesterday but I have faith in that line.
Not a good night for Toffoli but give that unit another game to work their recent magic.

That being said I'm likely among the biggest Perfetti fans on our board.
I understand the thinking with not using him yet.
Gus has had a nice season (when he's played) and fits that role better.

Cole's offensive resurgence happened in the top 6 and we never saw him able to produce from the 4th line.

If the Jets need a boost in the coming games I think one thing you could look at (as crazy as it sounds) would be to move Toffoli to the 4th line with Iafallo and Nemes. Talk about depth and a dangerous 4th line that could be something. That would allow Perfetti to re-join the top 6 and maybe bring a little of his scoring prowess into the game.

But for now I think Cole is going to remain in the press box and either Gus or Baron when he gets healthy would occupy that spot.

Either way line 2 needs to join the goal party soon as we can't rely on Scheif's line to score that much.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Not a goaltending clinic for sure. Georgiev had about 3 or 4 goals you'd typically say "he'd like to have that one back". But Hellebuyck had a couple of those as well.

The Jets were way outplayed for long stretches - right off the hop for about 5 minutes it was all Colorado. When the Avs scored their first goal the Jets seemed to wake up and played well until they had another bad stretch in the early 2nd period. Luckily, Lowry scored during that bad stretch and the Jets woke up again...until after Connor's goal that made it 7-4 and then the Jets withdrew into a not-particularly-effective defensive shell and Colorado manhandled them. ).

Reactions: sipowicz and hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So I think that the 2nd line has the biggest chance to be difference makers in this series.
They were held off the board yesterday but I have faith in that line.
Not a good night for Toffoli but give that unit another game to work their recent magic.

That being said I'm likely among the biggest Perfetti fans on our board.
I understand the thinking with not using him yet.
Gus has had a nice season (when he's played) and fits that role better.

Cole's offensive resurgence happened in the top 6 and we never saw him able to produce from the 4th line.

If the Jets need a boost in the coming games I think one thing you could look at (as crazy as it sounds) would be to move Toffoli to the 4th line with Iafallo and Nemes. Talk about depth and a dangerous 4th line that could be something. That would allow Perfetti to re-join the top 6 and maybe bring a little of his scoring prowess into the game.

But for now I think Cole is going to remain in the press box and either Gus or Baron when he gets healthy would occupy that spot.

Either way line 2 needs to join the goal party soon as we can't rely on Scheif's line to score that much.

I find Toffoli to be a very overrated player. He's a half decent complimentary piece but he's not some irreplaceable part of a team. Bones won't ever do it but I'd be playing Cole ahead of him. I think Cole brings a more rounded offensive skillet to the table.

Reactions: hn777 and Huffer

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What happened to Barron in that game against Seattle. For the life of me, I can't remember. Anybody have any idea of how seriously hurt he is?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I find Toffoli to be a very overrated player. He's a half decent complimentary piece but he's not some irreplaceable part of a team. Bones won't ever do it but I'd be playing Cole ahead of him. I think Cole brings a more rounded offensive skillet to the table.
Perfetti 19 goals 19 assists for 38 points in 71 games. Toffoli 33 goals and 22 assists for 55 points in 79 games this season. I think Perfetti should play next game but he's replacing Gus not Toffoli.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Perfetti 19 goals 19 assists for 38 points in 71 games. Toffoli 33 goals and 22 assists for 55 points in 79 games this season. I think Perfetti should play next game but he's replacing Gus not Toffoli.

Yup, and there's only 150+ minutes worth of time this seaon to show Perfetti Names and Iafallo working well as a line.

It was good enough to be the "2nd" line at one point :laugh:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

His Italian Chicken Skillet, is eccellente!​

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Still can't believe this hit both posts and still went in.

439831671_739252355049599_4743774936414278640_n.jpg

If the puck had stayed flat it would have been no goal. Only counted because the puck ended up on edge.
If the puck had stayed flat, it would have slid into the net. It only bounced back out because it hit an edge that changed the direction in which it was going.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Perfetti in for Toffoli would be a horrible move

Perfetti in for Gus could be good though

Honestly, Perfetti is probably about as likely to score as Toffoli is and plays a better 2 way game.

But I'd be happy with Perfetti in for Gus right now.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I think posters get fixated on stats but don't watch the game on a level that can accurately describe why the numbers reflect what they do. To me, that's the real value behind stats - identifying areas where a player and/or the team need to improve
I'd have less scorn for people fixating on stats if they were accurate stats in the first place. The discrepancy in numbers sometimes makes the whole thing a huge joke.

Reactions: Inanna and Buffdog

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
I share that sentiment with you, but only because Toff is at career end and Cole is only just beginning.....if he ever gets a chance. There is definitely a size bias by Bones that goes a little too far. Cole is not a slam banger nor should that be expected of him, but rather some accommodation should be provided. All players have some negative aspect, but Bones throws the baby out with the bath water. Too rigid.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We've scored 11 goals on this guy in the last 2 games we've played the Avs, and he was pulled after 4 in the first one.

He could very well be that bad again. :nod:

Yes, he could. But his larger record says not. :laugh:
So even if he did turn out to be that bad again, it isn't something we should be planning on.

We should have lost that game about 6-2. We got bailed out by goaltending. Theirs, not ours.

SOME of our goals were pretty good and not on bad goaltending. We were making the most of our limited number of opportunities. Getting outshot 46-23 and giving up 6 goals cannot be a recipe for success. Georgiev could improve just slightly and we lose that game.

Definitely Not a Picasso, but a win is a win.

Maybe having only won by 1 goal as opposed to say 7-3 or 7-4 will really allow them to look in the mirror and know where they need to be better.

A 3 or 4 goal win could be deceiving and having them feeling better about the way they played. Granted, a couple of those AVS goals were lucky imo.

Not a Picasso. More of a Jackson Pollock. The ones he had painted by monkeys. :laugh:

Reactions: Thechozen1

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
With Toffoli, bones knows exactly what he's gonna get. A slowish, one dimensional goal scorer who will be in the right spot and manage the puck well.

With Cole, we're all assuming that we're gonna get the Cole of recent play and not the "oh-fer 23" Cole. The problem is that there's no guarantee of that. Playoff hockey is more intense and physical than games in February (not to mention more pressure). Nobody knows how Cole will fare

And before anyone roasts me, I'm a big Cole fan. I just happen to see where Bones is coming from on this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce