Jets 50/50

Roooski

Sep 21, 2011
I was just looking at the jets website and in particular at all the lucky people that have taken home some very large profits! But then something jumped out.....Ryan Wilson has collected on two occasions, Nov 29 and Jan 19! WOW...what word describes that amount of luck?

http://jets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=73235

Then it brought my attention to the fact that the smaller Jets crowd, with higher ticket prices and 41 games, brings in double the average $$$ than that of the larger Bomber crowd, with cheaper ticket prices and only 10 games, does. I am not much of a math guy but is it really all just in the 50/50 ticket pricing?

Jets 50/50 -
1 for $5
3 for $10
10 for $20

Bombers 50/50
1 for $2
3 for $5

Kent C Tugood

Not Quite Dead Yet
Jan 1, 2012
Doontoon
Whoa! I know who one of those winners are! :amazed:

As for the double winner, I don't even know how one could get that lucky. In one season no less. :rant:

Aerial

Oct 14, 2011
It's not a double winner -- just two different guys both named Ryan Wilson.

It got misreported on at least one radio station as being a double-winner, but just a name coincidence.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I was just looking at the jets website and in particular at all the lucky people that have taken home some very large profits! But then something jumped out.....Ryan Wilson has collected on two occasions, Nov 29 and Jan 19! WOW...what word describes that amount of luck?

http://jets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=73235

Then it brought my attention to the fact that the smaller Jets crowd, with higher ticket prices and 41 games, brings in double the average $$$ than that of the larger Bomber crowd, with cheaper ticket prices and only 10 games, does. I am not much of a math guy but is it really all just in the 50/50 ticket pricing?

Jets 50/50 -
1 for $5
3 for $10
10 for $20

Bombers 50/50
1 for $2
3 for $5

15,000 Jets fans are spending $80k/game on 50-50. 30,000 Bomber fans spent $40k/game.

On average, every fan at the MTS Centre is purchasing more than one $5 ticket. On average, 3 fans at the stadium buy two $2 50-50 tickets.

So not only do the 50-50 tickets cost more at Jets games, the fans are buying more of them.

Why? Possibly: 1) Better marketing and more opportunity to buy - lots of booths, lots of 50-50 updates (on the booths and on the scoreboard) and there's an extra break in a hockey game, compared to just one half-time for football. And 2) I think Jets fans are probably more affluent, or at least in a more profligate mood at Jets games - "What's another $5 compared to the $200 I paid just to get in the building?"

BobEssensa

Jun 16, 2011
So not only do the 50-50 tickets cost more at Jets games, the fans are buying more of them.

Why? Possibly: 1) Better marketing and more opportunity to buy - lots of booths, lots of 50-50 updates (on the booths and on the scoreboard) and there's an extra break in a hockey game, compared to just one half-time for football.

This is exactly it right here. When you pass by a booth on your way to the bathroom, then see that amount jump $5000 when you're on your way back to your seat, you're really sucked in. When you go to a Bomber game, it's just people at the gates in yellow smocks selling em, and you have no idea what the jackpot is. I think people are more inclined to buy tickets when they know how much they can potentially win. I don't think it has anything to do with how affluent people are, because rich people enjoy Bomber games too. The new Bomber stadium should definitely impliment the same type of booths throughout the stadium. They could probably pull in an equal amount of money each game, if not more.

Roooski

Sep 21, 2011
I thought it would be interesting if a math guru could breakdown the total stats of Jets 50/50 purchases in total, now that we are a few seasons down the road.

I wonder the averages and how long people will sustain the amount of money spent on these, considering how much has to be spent elsewhere with True North...

Sorry if this has been done already but I couldn't find it anywhere else online really.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
I thought it would be interesting if a math guru could breakdown the total stats of Jets 50/50 purchases in total, now that we are a few seasons down the road.

I wonder the averages and how long people will sustain the amount of money spent on these, considering how much has to be spent elsewhere with True North...

Sorry if this has been done already but I couldn't find it anywhere else online really.

It's pretty straightforward if you can get the data. The jets site only has winners for this year that I can find.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
According to my post from 2012 above, the 50/50 winners were taking home about $40,000 on average. The average is just over $30,000 for the regular season so far this year. So per capita 50/50 spending has dropped from $5.33 to $4.

And what's with the Red Wings game? No one felt lucky? Were the 50/50 machines broken?

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Interesting, according to this article. a lot of the prize amount disparity between Ontario teams and the rest of Canada probably has to do with laws denying the use of electronic systems for gaming:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...050_draws_tiny_by_canadian_nhl_standards.html

From the article:

AVERAGE JACKPOTS (2011-12)
Vancouver Canucks
$76,543 (capacity: 16,966)
Edmonton Oilers
$45,000 (16,839)
Winnipeg Jets
$42,000 (15,004)
Calgary Flames
$36,000 (19,289)
Ottawa Senators
$18,200 (19,153)
Toronto Maple Leafs
$10,970 (18,800)

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment blames the gap in payouts on the province’s take on a federal Criminal Code section that deals with charities and electronic gaming. Essentially, the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario has a stricter approach to the law than the rest of the land, denying the use of new computer-based 50/50 systems that have received the legal green light out west and in the Maritimes.
At junior and NHL games elsewhere, 50/50 ticket vendors carry mobile devices that print out and tally tickets, giving volunteers more time to sell them. The growing jackpot is updated in real time and displayed on screens in the arena.
When the Oilers went electronic in December 2011, they saw average pots double to $56,000. Other teams experienced bumps of more than 30 per cent.
“I would be ecstatic if we could get towards electronic and get to a new age,†says Mike Bartlett, executive director of MLSE’s Team Up Foundation, which organizes 50/50s for the Leafs, Marlies, Raptors and TFC. “It’s a missed opportunity.â€

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting, according to this article. a lot of the prize amount disparity between Ontario teams and the rest of Canada probably has to do with laws denying the use of electronic systems for gaming:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...050_draws_tiny_by_canadian_nhl_standards.html

From the article:

Vancouver Canucks
Edmonton Oilers
$45,000 (16,839)
Winnipeg Jets
$42,000 (15,004)
Calgary Flames
$36,000 (19,289)
Ottawa Senators
$18,200 (19,153)
Toronto Maple Leafs
$10,970 (18,800)

I prefer to think it's due to chincy Ottawa bureaucrats and greedy fat-cat Bay Street Hogtowners not willing to part with their precious filthy lucre!

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
To those Jets fans who have made it down to St Paul, have you ever noticed the 50/50 prize amounts?

The biggest prize this year was $5600 and it was the game against the Jets I was at.

http://wild.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=74066

5050 isn't as popular there I guess?

Its weird, went to a Cubs MLB game this summer and the ticket was only a few thousand in a packed park. Just doesn't seem to be as popular down there? :dunno:

Galbatross

Oct 29, 2013
To those Jets fans who have made it down to St Paul, have you ever noticed the 50/50 prize amounts?

The biggest prize this year was $5600 and it was the game against the Jets I was at.

http://wild.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=74066

5050 isn't as popular there I guess?

Gambling counts as taxable income in the states, considering how touchy they are about taxes maybe people can't be brothered to deal with it.

Mighty Joe Moon

Jun 5, 2011
Lockport
According to my post from 2012 above, the 50/50 winners were taking home about $40,000 on average. The average is just over $30,000 for the regular season so far this year. So per capita 50/50 spending has dropped from $5.33 to $4.

And what's with the Red Wings game? No one felt lucky? Were the 50/50 machines broken?

Yeah, they had issues with the machines or network and shut down sales early that game. They didn't even announce a winner, just directed everyone to the website to check.

Roooski

Sep 21, 2011
There was also issues at the Devils game where they said they would announce after the 3 stars and never announced it at all.

Interesting topic. Too bad they do not keep all the data public from last season also. I also wonder if the slight decline has to do with the slight increase in some consession items, beer most importantly!!, or rather just due to the novelty of big prize pool wearing off to the regular attenders.

Gambling taxes in the usa is no doubt a huge contribution to why the numbers are so low there, but I have been to a number of states based events with 50/50 and in my opinion it is just not being sold or advertised properly...I know plenty of americans that love to gamble and are willing to pay taxes if their $5-20 can net them thousands.

YWGF18

Oct 24, 2011
Winnipeg
Gambling taxes in the usa is no doubt a huge contribution to why the numbers are so low there, but I have been to a number of states based events with 50/50 and in my opinion it is just not being sold or advertised properly...I know plenty of americans that love to gamble and are willing to pay taxes if their $5-20 can net them thousands.

I had won a 50/50 draw in the US last year.

They had collected 40K
They kept half 20K
I was taxed at 30%
I took home 14K

I'm not complaining, but that 30% is a big hit, and it would be even higher for a lot of locals with income I would imagine.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa

From the article:

Vancouver Canucks
Edmonton Oilers
$45,000 (16,839)
Winnipeg Jets
$42,000 (15,004)
Calgary Flames
$36,000 (19,289)
Ottawa Senators
$18,200 (19,153)
Toronto Maple Leafs
$10,970 (18,800)

I prefer to think it's due to chincy Ottawa bureaucrats and greedy fat-cat Bay Street Hogtowners not willing to part with their precious filthy lucre!

I sold 50/50 tickets as a volunteer at Sens games for a season.

The paper ticket based system is a big drawback, because you can only sell until the end of the 1st intermission. I think that's the big reason for the relatively low jackpots in Ottawa.

Right after the first intermission all the sellers go back to a big room, count their money and hand in their money and sold and unsold tickets. They can't do the draw and tally up the money until all the sellers have finished, so if you want to announce the winner halfway through the 3rd, you have to stop selling as soon as the second period starts.

Plus, there are no real-time updates. They advertise it a lot during the game but only as "win up to $15,000".

They are usually pretty close to $15k, but they cap the number of tickets distributed to ensure it's only a $15k max, since if they go over, they violate their lottery license.

IIRC, they got special permission to sell up to a $25k prize for a few games a year (usually when the Habs or Leafs come to town). That's why the average above is $18k

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Yeah, they had issues with the machines or network and shut down sales early that game. They didn't even announce a winner, just directed everyone to the website to check.

We attended the Blues game and the 50-50 tickets were the old-school ticket book style. Apparently the draw software went down.

Message to Fans
Friday, 21.11.2014 / 12:52 AM / News Articles
Winnipeg Jets
Comment
Print

All 50/50 tickets purchased at the November 20th game are still valid as the draw for the 50/50 prize has not yet occurred. During the Winnipeg Jets home game on November 20, 2014 we experienced an unexpected connectivity issue that resulted in a delay of the 50/50 draw as we wanted to ensure all 50/50 transactions were processed before the draw was conducted. At the time of the Bump 50:50 software issue, we were advised by our technology partners that there would be a delay in printing numbers to the draw drum. Please keep your tickets as the draw will occur early the week of November 23rd and the video of the draw will be posted on the website. www.winnipegjets.com/fiftyfifty.

We are working with our technology partners as well as the Liquor and Gaming Authority to ensure that all patrons who purchased 50/50 had an equal opportunity to win. The Winnipeg Jets True North Foundation regrets the software connectivity issue and the impact it had on some of the patrons at the November 20th game.

If you have any further questions or concerns regarding the 50/50 program or Winnipeg Jets True North Foundation, please let us know at ([email protected]) and we will work diligently to answer them as quickly as possible.

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=740271#&navid=WPG-search

m.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad