Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Rags 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Standings recap Jets and Avs tied with 93 points in first with the Stars 2 points back. Jets have a game in hand on both teams. Avs have won 7 straight, Jets 3 straight, and Stars won their last game. Looks like this fight for first is going to right down to the wire.
Yup and the Jets play the Avs twice and the Stars once plus the Canucks at the end of the season … maybe for 1st place in the West.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I was perusing the Rangers after-game thread and came across this quote:

“The Jets seem to be the only top NHL team with zero drama, skeletons and distractions...outside of their nutjob coach. They just go out and play good stingy hockey.”

Any idea why our coach is considered a nut job??
Maybe that's the minor procedure

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
But why pick the date that ypu go back to randomly? Why not Dec 1? Does what happened on Jan 1 have any more relevance to today than Dec 1?
teams are more dialed in after the xmas break plus there was reason for concern based on how they were playing in those games flu or no flu going around and tonight they still gave up lots of high danger chances but vezina helly slammed the door shut.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Actually, it's not even remotely within the realm of random chance, because it's not random. A random sample would take games against playoff teams from the entire season, not a particular several week period in the middle of the season, which corresponded with the closest the team has had to a slump this year.

Looking at those stats and thinking they mean the Jets are bad against playoff teams is not only inaccurate, it's lazy thinking. Doubling down on it is a really bad look.
You are wrong look at some of those losses. The Dal, NSv and BC Sucks ganes stick out to me plus how a team plays now is more indicative of how they will play in the playoffs vs their nov/dec play.
No doom and gloom just be realistic.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
You are wrong look at some of those losses. The Dal, NSv and BC Sucks ganes stick out to me plus how a team plays now is more indicative of how they will play in the playoffs vs their nov/dec play.
No doom and gloom just be realistic.
Well, if you're gonna put more weight on more recent games, then last night should carry the most weight

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
So If I'm to understand things around here, what we do is cheer. We cheer when the team wins. We cheer when the team loses. We stay positive at all times and never no never say anything that could be interpreted as "negativity." The only "narrative" allowed is that we're going to the final and we're winning it all. No matter what happens...We're the winners. And for the love of god don't mention "fancy stats"! We all know the people coming up with these "fancy stats" are dummies who can't possibly think of the things we think of to prove their stats wrong. Scorsi not corsi people!! Except if the scorsi doesn't favor us. When that's the case, cheer and cheer some more!

• Love
Reactions: jungles

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
So If I'm to understand things around here, what we do is cheer. We cheer when the team wins. We cheer when the team loses. We stay positive at all times and never no never say anything that could be interpreted as "negativity." The only "narrative" allowed is that we're going to the final and we're winning it all. No matter what happens...We're the winners. And for the love of god don't mention "fancy stats"! We all know the people coming up with these "fancy stats" are dummies who can't possibly think of the things we think of to prove their stats wrong. Scorsi not corsi people!! Except if the scorsi doesn't favor us. When that's the case, cheer and cheer some more!

If you don’t understand why it might be frustrating for some members of a fan forum when others are negative about a team that is leading the western conference and 3rd overall in the league, I’m not sure what to tell you.

My observation is that the positive ones are far more willing to admit when the team plays poorly than the negative ones are to be positive when the team plays well.

Everyone has the right to be a fan the way they want to though. It’s the differences that make this place worth visiting in my books.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I was wondering that also when I read it, sour grapes about Arniel makes more sense because I can't believe Bones would have a rep as a nut job anywhere
I also remember a few years back Arneil was getting smeared by Alan Walsh for not playing his one of his "boys". God, I hate that guy (Walsh)

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
If you don’t understand why it might be frustrating for some members of a fan forum when others are negative about a team that is leading the western conference and 3rd overall in the league, I’m not sure what to tell you.

My observation is that the positive ones are far more willing to admit when the team plays poorly than the negative ones are to be positive when the team plays well.

Everyone has the right to be a fan the way they want to though. It’s the differences that make this place worth visiting in my books.

I absolutely understand it. I just think there's value in examining things even when we win and looking at all the info we have. I think sustainability matters. When it comes to winning a SC we don't just need to win a game here and there against good teams. We need to win a string of 7 game series against good teams.

Of course, some people go way overboard with the negatitivy. But those are relatively few really...and not really any different than some who go the other direction. It's annoying, but mostly ingnorable. BUt like you say, it's a forum...you can't expect everyone to be on the same page all the time.

I'd say similarly, if you don't understand why some people might have a few concerns about the way the past 25 or so games have gone (even in spite of managing to win more than lose) I'm not sure what to tell you.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Remember that EN goal that Scheifele scored? Two bounces and in, where a difference of a fraction of a degree or a minor irregularity in the ice means no goal? That's one of a million cases where "bounces" come into play.

If you reread my post as "within the realm of puck luck", maybe that would make it clearer?

When he got overwhelmed on the PP and had to take a penalty after losing the puck to stop a clean two-man SHG breakaway, I suspect?
It was the play where he was to the right of Hellebuyck near the boards and lost the puck after being extremely nonchalant and then gave next to no effort to get it back with weak stick swings and alligator arms. It led to two Rangers walking in on Hellebuyck, luckily one of our defenseman was in the vicinity. It was a grade A scoring chance that could have completely changed the outcome of the game. He can score with the best of him but his lazy defensive game drives me nuts.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Totally agree, good post .:thumbu: If that's too positive i'll add that if the Rangers scored 3 more goals we would have lost last night. :naughty:

Reactions: thereturn

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I absolutely understand it. I just think there's value in examining things even when we win and looking at all the info we have. I think sustainability matters. When it comes to winning a SC we don't just need to win a game here and there against good teams. We need to win a string of 7 game series against good teams.

Of course, some people go way overboard with the negatitivy. But those are relatively few really...and not really any different than some who go the other direction. It's annoying, but mostly ingnorable. BUt like you say, it's a forum...you can't expect everyone to be on the same page all the time.

I'd say similarly, if you don't understand why some people might have a few concerns about the way the past 25 or so games have gone (even in spite of managing to win more than lose) I'm not sure what to tell you.
The issue is that the concerns that you have about the last 25 games are shared with every fan base in the league

With a hard salary cap, managers have to decide where to allocate resources, which leads to weaknesses in some area for every team

There isn't a team in the league where you can look at the last 25 games (again, weird sample size - did you pick it because it's a round number? Why not 21 or 26?) and say "wow, everything is clicking and things are perfect"

We lead the league in goals against, most teams aren't close. We'll need to manufacture scoring to win in the playoffs, whereas some teams will need to figure out how to keep the puck put of the net

TL/DR your expectations are unrealistic.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
The issue is that the concerns that you have about the last 25 games are shared with every fan base in the league

With a hard salary cap, managers have to decide where to allocate resources, which leads to weaknesses in some area for every team

There isn't a team in the league where you can look at the last 25 games (again, weird sample size - did you pick it because it's a round number? Why not 21 or 26?) and say "wow, everything is clicking and things are perfect"

We lead the league in goals against, most teams aren't close. We'll need to manufacture scoring to win in the playoffs, whereas some teams will need to figure out how to keep the puck put of the net

TL/DR your expectations are unrealistic.

well, OK...so what are we doing here? No need for a forum then...might as well just watch the games and see what happens. Nothing to talk about.

I chose 25 games bacause it's the most recent half of the season right? I mean if a team looks fabulous for the first 40 games and then looks crummy for the last 40 games it's something to note right - especially after the past couple seasons we've seen as Jets fans? Are you saying we need only look at whatever happened in the most recent game? For discussion purposes, we need to break things donw somehow...

not that the Jet's have looked "crummy" really. Just making a point.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Colorado doesn't scare me. The Jets do well against Colorado, and I think would beat them in a seven game series.

Dallas, on the other hand, terrifies me, because for whatever reason, the Jets can't beat them, even though I believe the Jets (and Colorado, for that matter) are both better teams than Dallas.

Sometimes that's just the way it goes. Winnipeg can't beat Toronto or Montreal, either, even though they're a better team than Toronto, and an infinitely better team than Montreal.

Vegas is another. The Jets regularly crap the bed against Vegas, but the way Vegas is playing against everybody else, they might not even make the playoffs, which is my fondest hope.

We'll see, I guess.
That’s what I thought back in December, but Colorado has kicked it into another gear and that team comes at you in waves creating high danger scoring chances. Not sure the Jets can contain that in a 7 game series. They scare the bejeezus out of me. MACKINNON is on a mission.

Reactions: johnnyonthspot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad