Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Canucks 2

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Nice to end the year on a winning note...an eight-game winning streak, no less! Nice to see Lambert and Chibrikov get an NHL game, and both deserved kudos for fitting in quite nicely, Lambert with an assist and Chibrikov with a goal! I give this game four "kids" out of five...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The 2023-24 Regular Season Prediction Contest has concluded and we have a winner! Who is it, you ask? Well, you will have to check out the winner page to find out (it's not me, I checked)...:sarcasm: I will start up the Playoff Prediction Contest once the dates and times are finalized, which should be tomorrow...

Since we're in the playoffs, that means more GDTs to be made. Sign up now or you will miss out on something special! See you next game! Good night...

giphy.gif

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I believe Perfetti ended up 1 goal short of hitting one of his performance bonuses, tough not to blame that on the 2nd round of scratches. Bones is gonna retire next season or the one after, the organization has to look out for its future and put their thumb on the scale if necessary. Jeff Marek who seems to have a line to someone in the Perfetti camp hinted at issues with the handling again today. The org has to smooth the waters and being scratched over Gus won't be a good start to that.

Agreed. I wouldn't be happy if I were him as well. Chevy is going to have a lot of fun dealing with Kurt this summer and many of the issues will be of the orgs own making.

I get wanting to win, but you can't alienate such a key piece of your team and future. Bones gets paid millions of dollars to make it work with his players. He should be able to find a way to fit a 20 goal player in.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
He could have had that bonus easily had he not gone those 23 games without a goal. I don't 100% agree with how Bones handled him this year but at some point, we have to stop blaming him for everything

Cole is a professional hockey player. The only person on the planet responsible for his performance is him.

If he's a mature kid, he'll take this season in stride and learn from it

Remember who Bambi was...

Bambi also coasted for 3 seasons the previous 3 years...

They are not Gods...

Except...

Orr...

Howe...

Gretzky...

Lemieux...

Cole will come around to his potential if he so chooses to strive...

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Kupari flies around the ice, wins battles but yet manages to pretty much make the sub-optimal play with the puck every time to the point where its almost comedic

Guy just doesn't think the game in a way thats conducive with NHL success

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
That was an interesting game to watch. A little sloppy at times, to be expected with a 6 pack of regulars resting,

Lambert & Chibrikov gave notice that they can play I this league. Perfetti with another good game. We're it not for his cold spell where nothing went right for him and the healthy scratches the boy would have likely hit 25 goals. HE is most likely to be sitting come game one but Bowness having the option to insert either he or the improved Gus I at anytime is great for us.

Stanley a little sloppy but he had built a bit of chemistry with Sam Berg and overall he has improved tremendously. Wish he had rearranged that punk Zadorov's face at some point but I'd like for us to meet the Canuckleheads at some point so Lowry and Dilly can meat out some life lessons to Zadorov.

Go Jets Go. 8 in a row. Only 16 more to go and I can die a happy man.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Agreed. I wouldn't be happy if I were him as well. Chevy is going to have a lot of fun dealing with Kurt this summer and many of the issues will be of the orgs own making.

I get wanting to win, but you can't alienate such a key piece of your team and future. Bones gets paid millions of dollars to make it work with his players. He should be able to find a way to fit a 20 goal player in.
holy shit, if a young player goes 23 games with out a point and can't handle sitting when the teams ultimate goal is to win the cup then maybe he isn't the type of person we should want on the team, I think perfetti will manage to get over this hurdle in his career like many others before him have... but I guess we need to bitch about something after the regular season we just had...

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
2 more items to add to this season's accomplishments.

The two goaltenders have combined for eight shutouts this season, which is tied for first in the NHL and a franchise record

It’s the first time in franchise history the Jets have multiple winning streaks of seven games or more in the same season

8 game winning streak from Dec 30 - Jan 13 and 8 game winning streak from April 1 - April 18

not-too-shabby-adam-sandler.gif

Every regular player earned at least one Star of the Game this season. It was close for DeMelo, as he had to wait until the 79th game vs Dallas to earn his star. (This doesn't include tonight's game, so add one more 3rd star to the Perfetti totals)
h58uxjp.png

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He could have had that bonus easily had he not gone those 23 games without a goal. I don't 100% agree with how Bones handled him this year but at some point, we have to stop blaming him for everything

Cole is a professional hockey player. The only person on the planet responsible for his performance is him.

If he's a mature kid, he'll take this season in stride and learn from it

I'm sure he will take ownership for a good chunk of it, but he was scratched far more then his play warranted. Really, he scored 4 points in 4 games including helping the team bust the slump. He makes one mistake and sits for 2 games. Like that is great coaching.

There is blame to go around but Bones controls his minutes and had a tight leash on them all year even when he was excelling.

Ultimately usage matters a lot. He didn't score on the fourth line but neither did Ehlers when Maurice marooned him there for a long stretch at a similar age. He had a 10 game slump on the second line and was then banished to not return until the final weeks of the season.

In a top 6 role he had an over 2 p/60. Hard to argue he wasn't productive enough. Seems like he was held to a far higher standard then the other top 6 guys.

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg

Do you mind taking the Perfetti squabbling to the Perfetti thread?

We watched a couple of fantastic debuts, a Jennings Trophy secured, and most importantly, the team has all sorts of momentum heading into the playoffs on a heater.

Dealing with Kurt in the summer should not even be on the f***ing radar, honestly.

The sun will come up tomorrow whatever happens with Perfetti. I promise.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm sure he will take ownership for a good chunk of it, but he was scratched far more then his play warranted. Really, he scored 4 points in 4 games including helping the team bust the slump. He makes one mistake and sits for 2 games. Like that is great coaching.

There is blame to go around but Bones controls his minutes and had a tight leash on them all year even when he was excelling.

Ultimately usage matters a lot. He didn't score on the fourth line but neither did Ehlers when Maurice marooned him there for a long stretch at a similar age. He had a 10 game slump on the second line and was then banished to not return until the final weeks of the season.

In a top 6 role he had an over 2 p/60. Hard to argue he wasn't productive enough. Seems like he was held to a far higher standard then the other top 6 guys.
I don't disagree, but you can't have your 2RW go on a stretch like he did and not do something about it when the team looks like it can compete

His banishment was finalized with the Toffoli trade. In that sense, both him and Ville just had terrible timing with their misfortunes this year

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

We watched a couple of fantastic debuts, a Jennings Trophy secured, and most importantly, the team has all sorts of momentum heading into the playoffs on a heater.

Dealing with Kurt in the summer should not even be on the f***ing radar, honestly.

You are free to ignore my posts. You don't like them don't read and respond to them.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Please stand up and take a bow for this post! 👏👏👏

Like can we not just enjoy a fantastic end to the season without these tired old arguments for one night?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
holy shit, if a young player goes 23 games with out a point and can't handle sitting when the teams ultimate goal is to win the cup then maybe he isn't the type of person we should want on the team, I think perfetti will manage to get over this hurdle in his career like many others before him have... but I guess we need to bitch about something after the regular season we just had...

It was without a goal not a point. Over half of it was on the fourth line where multiple players went very long stretches without scoring. I'm sure he'll handle it just fine as his end of the year performance shows. But this is also about a players career and the scratching likely cost him 100's of thousands in real money this year and millions on his next contract. Let's not pretend that isn't important to the player and his camp. Clearly he has to take some accountability for it as well.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
It was without a goal not a point. Over half of it was on the fourth line where multiple players went very long stretches without scoring. I'm sure he'll handle it just fine as his end of the year performance shows. But this is also about a players career and the scratching likely cost him 100's of thousands in real money this year and millions on his next contract. Let's not pretend that isn't important to the player and his camp. Clearly he has to take some accountability for it as well.
zomg how dare I forget his what 1 assist in that span? going that many games without scoring to make him become a healthy scratch is what cost him millions, had he scored he wouldn't have been scratched and hold have made his bonuses lol

Nolan Giesbrecht

Jun 14, 2016
See a bunch of people talking about Kupari and poor he looked.

I came away from the game more encouraged about him than before; I know nothing really came of his play, but it’s not like he’s had a lot of ice time this year to improve.

I very well could be wrong, but I think he has another level or two he can hit and be a good player.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Interested to see who got the jackets tonight. Perfetti was deserving, but it would be kind of cool if the 2 rookies each got one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad