GDT: Jets (35-15-5) vs Coyotes (23-29-4), 5pm CST: "Razing Arizona" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
image-2.jpg

The accolades have been raining down for decades.

"A beautiful and hilarious farce, one that is as relevant now as it was decades ago, one in which the setting of Arizona itself is part of the laughter and absurdity of it all, as much as with any of the human characters."

"Laughter that comes in waves without surcease, as the character known as "Mr. Arizona" goes to any length to look out for his most preciously beloved child."

"A saga that ends with the principles in the farce looking back on it and wondering '. were we actually in Utah all this time?'
"

.. but enough about the Coyotes franchise.

----

"Raising Arizona" -- not to be confused with "razing Arizona", which is what we're going to do this evening -- is one of the earliest movies from the Coen brothers. And even though it's fair to say that it wasn't as good as their piece de resistance, Fargo, you can see the basic pieces being put together for perhaps the first time.

Violence, slapstick, geographically topical laughs. What more does one want in a feature film?

Now, because it's been like decades since I've seen this movie, I'm afraid I'm going to have to leave the follow up to you all. General purpose Coen Brothers references -- I know we got that one "The Dude" poster who's gonna love this :P -- also welcome. And yeah, I'll probably put this movie up for some pre-game viewing to get me in the mood.

Until then, may the Coyotes offence be too barren for Bettman's seed to take purchase, and if I get a punition for dunking on the Coyotes, may I quickly free myself upon my own recognizances, recidivist that I am :P

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
When we let a bottom-dweller like Chicago tie us in the final minute of play, you have to worry about our chances against the desert dogs. On paper, we're much better than this team but the game is played on ice and a few bad bounces or weird deflections can cause a lot of damage.

I hope we come out hard and fast and run up a three goal lead in the first period and then don't take our foot off the gas. If some of our slackers can break their scoring droughts, so much the better.

And personally I found Raising Arizona kinda limp, nowhere near the brilliance of Fargo, but humour is a strangely personal thing.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Thanks @AlphaLackey for taking on another GDT, it is much appreciated! Loved the movie Raising Arizona, but haven't watched it since it's release on VHS (never was a Beta guy). I can still yodel to the music, though the neighbour's dog can probably do a better job at it.

Let's hope 2.0 is better than 1.0 today. Gotta bury these desert dogs and put them out of their misery. Poor things, wearing pajamas and all that...

Go Jets Go! :hockey:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad