Post-Game Talk: Jets 3 - Bolts 2 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It's really easy to cheer for this Jets team and Captain Lowry.
I agree I love having no drama, just enjoying the games.

There was a few minutes where it looked like the team was gonna get caved in but we survived and eventually untilted the ice. I thought Barron was going to bang one of those in close chances in, he had a couple of dangerous chances.
Barron is a game changer even though he’s not scoring. His forecheck and board battles are really good.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
On one hand I'm loving that some of our more pessimistic posters have hopped on the positivity train, but on the other hand I'm dreading the atmosphere in here when we hit the skids for the for the first time (as most teams will at some point)

It's a long season... let's not let the good stretches get us too high or the bad stretches get us too low

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Didn't watch the game due to having a prior commitment but when I checked well after the game was done and saw that we came out on the good side I was a happy drunken bas**** indeed.

Even though I came out and said I didn't think this team could make the playoffs the way the started the first part of the season I will be tickled pink to be wrong if this type of inspired team play keeps up. Won't even hurt losing some V Cash to a fellow poster.

Go Jets GO. I like POMO but Friday we need to beat on the Panthers to the point where Maurice has a shit fit behind the bench.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The biggest change I see in the Jets great play this year, all stems from the buyout of Wheeler ( trouble) and the trading off of the discontented Dubois. You can only win in the NHL right now, if all players are buying in and playing as a team -- which they are. You can see the body language on the ice is great now, and the players are playing with determination, and enthusiasm.

Players I really like that have been added, are Names, Iaffalo, and Villardi will add even more. Barron is playing good, and should be possibly moved up to the 2nd line. Appleton has played very well this year as well.

Also the top line with Scheifele, has taken a leadership role, and Scheifele has a "new attitude" which has also sparked Connor, who could have a career year.

If the Jets could add an impact defenseman on the right side, I think they could contend for the Stanley Cup. An impact defenseman would have to be a guy like Buff, or of similar quality, or like a Morrissey with some size and grit. We're very close right now to the old 2018 team.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
KC Scheif Iafallo
Perfetti Volare Barron
Gus Names Ehlers
Nino Lowry Apples
That's actually a very balanced configuration. I would find a way to give the 2nd through 4th line similar minutes distributed, while keeping the 1st within the 17 to 18 minutes range; no one should be gassed by the backhalf of the season, in this scenario,

I think Gus playing with Names and Ehlers is fascinating. They cover for him defensively, while freeing him up to play his style. It also frees up Perfetti IMO.. It balances out what's currently the 2nd and 4th lines.

I don't consider our current 3rd line as anything less than a 3rd line - it's our key line - but I like your idea.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Agreed, I think Ville was going to get his shot this year but injury hit.

The only one I disagree with is Tree. He just got a spot due to being big, not really due to being ready.
Stanley got his shot because he was a year away from being waiver eligible in addition to him being eligible for the 2021 expansion draft & the Jets wanted to know what they had.

The Jets had invested significant draft capital in him & he needed to play. The 2019-2020 AHL season had been cancelled once the pandemic began & the 2020-2021 campaign didn't begin until a year later on February 5th, 2021, a date a few weeks after Stanley played his first NHL game.

When Stanley played his first NHL game there was no AHL option nor certainty there would be an AHL season due to continuing limitations on arena capacities and traveling during the pandemic.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Stanley got his shot because he was a year away from being waiver eligible in addition to him being eligible for the 2021 expansion draft & the Jets wanted to know what they had.

The Jets had invested significant draft capital in him & he needed to play. The 2019-2020 AHL season had been cancelled once the pandemic began & the 2020-2021 campaign didn't begin until a year later on February 5th, 2021, a date a few weeks after Stanley played his first NHL game.

When Stanley played his first NHL game there was no AHL option nor certainty there would be an AHL season due to continuing limitations on arena capacities and traveling during the pandemic.

That's fine, it just had nothing to do with him showing he was remotely ready nor deserving of an NHL shot which was what OP post was indicating about the Jets integrating prospects.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
That's fine, it just had nothing to do with him showing he was remotely ready nor deserving of an NHL shot which was what OP post was indicating about the Jets integrating prospects.
Should have been traded by now. He no longer has any upside and just flat out isnt very good. IIRC he was whining to be traded last season. He should have been obliged in the offseason.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Just pointing out "being big" had little to do with the Jets decision to play him. Morrissey, Pionk, Demelo & Fjorbert were our top 4 D that season & Stanley was competing with with Beaulieu, Poolman & Niku for the 1 of the final 2 spots.

Who exactly was Stanley elevated over? Not one of Beaulieu, Poolman or Niku are even playing NHL hockey.

I've no issue with Stanley getting his shot when he did. His first season was promising, even scoring two goals for us in a single playoff game.

I would agree that he's shown little improvement since he made the show.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Should have been traded by now. He no longer has any upside and just flat out isnt very good. IIRC he was whining to be traded last season. He should have been obliged in the offseason.
Any team could have signed him as a RFA last summer with virtually no compensation coming back and nobody did.
How was Chevy going to trade him?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Any team could have signed him as a RFA last summer with virtually no compensation coming back and nobody did.
How was Chevy going to trade him?
Yeah I’ve given up on Stanley having any residual value to another team. Saying that it appears that the organization doesn’t see Chisholm as anything more than deep depth.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I've got a couple bottles of a 25 year Bowmore single malt sitting in the cabinet. Not allowed to touch it but the day will come.
Do not sit on whisky. You may find a day when you cannot drink it and the saving will have been for naught. Perhaps a special occasion in the not to distant future, but otherwise the approach is foolish.

I have a lot of whisky, had a plan, had opportunity to buy a lot. Loved it, drank it in moderation (six bottles per year). Then I got sick and my consumption has plummeted. My tastes have changed. I have some special bottles I will not ever enjoy as much as I would have when I bought them. YMMV.

Really enjoyed the game last night. Edge of the seat, nervous/clenching the whole time. But darned if the boys didn't pull it out with a full team effort. Connor hustling to back check, the chemistry between Ehlers and Perfetti, Vezinabuyck.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Do not sit on whisky. You may find a day when you cannot drink it and the saving will have been for naught. Perhaps a special occasion in the not to distant future, but otherwise the approach is foolish.

I have a lot of whisky, had a plan, had opportunity to buy a lot. Loved it, drank it in moderation (six bottles per year). Then I got sick and my consumption has plummeted. My tastes have changed. I have some special bottles I will not ever enjoy as much as I would have when I bought them. YMMV.

Really enjoyed the game last night. Edge of the seat, nervous/clenching the whole time. But darned if the boys didn't pull it out with a full team effort. Connor hustling to back check, the chemistry between Ehlers and Perfetti, Vezinabuyck.
I just read this in Max Von Sydow's voice.

maxresdefault.jpg

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Nice to see Helle rounding into form, this team is definitely better than past years but if we want to be a true contender he has to be Vezinabuyck still.

Vilardi back will be big, I think he should go right back to the top line with Scheif and Connor. Iafallo has done well filling in for him and it's good to know he can do so, but Vilardi is the guy I want in that spot.

Really hope Ville still gets a chance this year, we will see how his recovery goes. Schmidt is pretty cooked, Stanley sucks.

I must say Pionk has been much improved from the start of the year when he was looking like he might be an anchor.
I wouldn’t mind keeping top line as is. No point messing with jello.

Villardi with Ehlers and Perfetti has a nice ring to it.

Reactions: Gil Fisher

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
KC Scheif Iafallo
Perfetti Volare Barron
Gus Names Ehlers
Nino Lowry Apples
Our 3rd line that is getting rave reviews around the league and plays 2nd line type minutes is going to be the 4th?
I know people often call for more even playing time but in reality unless a team is way up it never happens.
The 3rd line will continue to get heavy minutes.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Our 3rd line that is getting rave reviews around the league and plays 2nd line type minutes is going to be the 4th?
I know people often call for more even playing time but in reality unless a team is way up it never happens.
The 3rd line will continue to get heavy minutes.
"Depth is the Jets' key strength. There are eleven forwards in Winnipeg who are performing above the average level for a third-line quality forward." - The Five Hohl (2023-11-22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad