Jets 2013 Draft Talk - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
For those interested in getting really in-depth in the draft here's a later round guy that the Jets could be interested in, I know I certainly am.

Jackson Houck of the Vancouver Giants. He could be available around the 3rd round.

He's a relentlessly hard working player. Doesn't shy away from contact. Great playmaking skills and great in the offensive zone whether he's forechecking or making/finishing plays.

He does need to improve his skating and sometimes he could shoot a little more frequently.

Overall he's very similar to our own Kosmachuk. Just a playmaking version of him who's better in the defensive zone.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
jets appear to be committed to upgrading our draft position!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
jets appear to be committed to upgrading our draft position!

Might as well, at this point. Good thing they kept Hainsey to maintain the esprit de corps instead of getting another draft pick or two. :sarcasm:

jetkarma*

We could certainly be in play for Lindholm or Monahan or Nichuskin...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
When you look at the league standings we are only 4 points away from having 4th pick (not counting the lottery) and everyone behind us has 2 or 3 games in hand. And you would be hard pressed to find a team playing worse than us down the stretch.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
When you look at the league standings we are only 4 points away from having 4th pick (not counting the lottery) and everyone behind us has 2 or 3 games in hand. And you would be hard pressed to find a team playing worse than us down the stretch.

2 games in hand, 4 points away from 4th.

2 games in hand, 0 points away from 3rd in the conference.

Lets not act like we're closer to the bottom then the top- regardless of the circumstances why (others failures)

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Posted this in the PGT, yes we are closer to the bottom.

--
If you sort NHL overall standings by Points/GP, which is the best mid-season measure to use with unequal games/schedule, the Jets are currently 8th last.

--

Lets not act like we're closer to the bottom then the top- regardless of the circumstances why (others failures)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

1st in the S.E. is our only realistic chance at the playoffs at this time, and Washington is a much different team then they were earlier in the season. They have 2 games in hand and are 7-2-1 in their last 10 while we have lost 5 in a row. Not to mention they kicked the **** out of us in back to back games in our own building. They also have just as favorable home and away schedule as us. We are playing maybe the worst hockey since this team arrived in Winnipeg and our weaknesses are becoming more glaring, while everyone else is fighting for playoff spots or positioning. In all likelihood this ship has little chance of righting itself over the last 9 games. Yes I believe we are closer to the bottom than the top.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
2013 draft

I live in Victoria and made it out to about 14 Royals games this year...thought I would list some potential sleeper picks for the later rounds...maybe other WHL fans can add....

JC Lipon:

small, but very shifty with slick hands, excellent passer, consistently overachieves, high character player who competes hard and rises above others expectations..

Colin Smith:

see above..

Ben Walker:

Physical player with a very good plus minus...energy guy that consistently changed the tempo all year for Victoria....physical, always went to the hard areas..

Shea Theodore

Slick skating defenceman...poor man's Cam Fowler..

Mirco Mueller

Tall and fast...rising in the rankings but a great frame to grow into and a very good skater...

Madison Bowey

Another tall slick skater that can log huge minutes...played a ton last night for Kelowna...

Austin Lotz

Made 55 saves recently against Portland

Dallas Ehrhardt

Big, relatively mobile d-man who played on an awful team, but impressed in the time I saw him....had success earlier in his Dub career with Moose Jaw..

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Nichuskin is an extremely interesting piece, should we be in a position to consider drafting him.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
I think Monahan would be perfect for this team, I really like him and believe he could have a huge future. This kid is a gem

jetkarma*

For those interested in getting really in-depth in the draft here's a later round guy that the Jets could be interested in, I know I certainly am.

Jackson Houck of the Vancouver Giants. He could be available around the 3rd round.

He's a relentlessly hard working player. Doesn't shy away from contact. Great playmaking skills and great in the offensive zone whether he's forechecking or making/finishing plays.

He does need to improve his skating and sometimes he could shoot a little more frequently.

Overall he's very similar to our own Kosmachuk. Just a playmaking version of him who's better in the defensive zone.

Watched him a couple of times this year and he does remind me of Kosmachuk.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I think Monahan would be perfect for this team, I really like him and believe he could have a huge future. This kid is a gem

Ever since I saw Bob Mckenzie's draft rankings, I had a feeling, he will be the one Jets target and get. Monahan, Mac or Barkov will be the top targets I believe, with Monahan being at the top because we will the best chance at him.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Don't we have a compensation pick this year as well, a 2nd rounder I believe.

Yes, for Daultan Leveille, Thrashers 1st round pick in 2008. We will have 6 picks in the first three rounds of the draft.

1st - Wpg
2nd - Wpg
2nd - Compensation, pick# 59 (Daultan Leveille)
2nd - Chi
3rd - Wpg
3rd - Chi

Last edited:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Yes, for Daultan Leveille, Thrashers 1st round pick in 2008. We will have 6 picks in the first three rounds of the draft.

1st - Wpg
2nd - Wpg
2nd - Compensation (Daultan Leveille)
2nd - Chi
3rd - Wpg
3rd - Chi

Thanks

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Posted this in the PGT, yes we are closer to the bottom.

--
If you sort NHL overall standings by Points/GP, which is the best mid-season measure to use with unequal games/schedule, the Jets are currently 8th last.

--

That's great, but isn't that like sorting it based off GAA against or something else that, when the chips are down, and you determining actual standing (regardless if the "rules" are wrong) doesn't matter? what are we relative to our conference/division lead? because regardless of wether or not its an accurate representation of how good we are in the league, its the actual system used.

And thats fine, we're in 8th, thats' reasonable. how poorly does our Pts/game need to drop to get us into top 5 as some have mentioned? how much does it ineed to increase to make us thrid in the div (people say division winning is an illusion, it is and it isn't. all that matter is the outcome, and winning the division puts you in third)

1st in the S.E. is our only realistic chance at the playoffs at this time, and Washington is a much different team then they were earlier in the season. They have 2 games in hand and are 7-2-1 in their last 10 while we have lost 5 in a row. Not to mention they kicked the **** out of us in back to back games in our own building. They also have just as favorable home and away schedule as us. We are playing maybe the worst hockey since this team arrived in Winnipeg and our weaknesses are becoming more glaring, while everyone else is fighting for playoff spots or positioning. In all likelihood this ship has little chance of righting itself over the last 9 games. Yes I believe we are closer to the bottom than the top.

your allowed to foster whatever conjecture you like to fit your narrative, but the fact of the matter is, right now, we are closer to the top then the bottom. For christ sake, if this had happened a different we way, and we won our last three games to end up tied for the division lead, we'd all be cheering in the streets.

we're still tied!

Yes, we've been having a bad streak, this is a streaky team. Right now we're trending down, but trends by their very definition aren't permanent. we were never going to continue winning 10 of 13 games, just like we aren't likely going to continue winning 3 of 10, because we aren't that bad of a team.

personally, i'd rather we be a streaky team in this position then a "steadY" team with the same record. A "steadY" team would be unlikely to win 6-7 of 9. All we need to do is get hot, it's happened before.

Like they said on the big show this morning, if you had told this board in january, that on april fifth we'd be tied with washington for the div lead, even with them having 2 games in hand, I think we'd take it.

EDIT:

so i did the math. figured out each teams pts per game, then sorted based on a number of things

right now the jets are

.07 ppg from the division lead.

we are .1 ppg from a playoff bottom seed

we are in 22nd leagwide

we are .05 ppg froma top 5 pick.

So you are right, we are technically closer to a top five pick then the division lead- but it's pretty small. Again, due to the streaky nature of this team, and that we are including our lowest point spread to date, this is probably a lower PPG then we'll finish the season with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad