Confirmed with Link: Jessie Pegula: I Want to Talk to You About My Mom

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
Posted this in the Bills thread where I read the linked article first:

That answers a lot of questions. I understand why they took their time with this. It takes a lot to share an experience that personal, and I think the piece was very well done.

It can be really challenging to see how much this sort of thing can effects someone you are close to, to know that the person they love is still behind the issues they are battling through when they try to connect with you. It's also a huge adjustment for someone who is used to being actively involved in their family and career.

Truly wishing the best for their family.

Reactions: Butt Ox

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
It’s pretty clear that privacy was needed considering how long the recovery was/is/is going to be. Still crazy to me that billionaires can have close knit families and be down to earth but the Pegulas seem to be that.

They truly seem to be that way for better and worse; their hearts are, more often than not, in the right place when it comes to the Sabres and Bills.

I hope she has the fullest recovery possible.

Reactions: Butt Ox and JLewyB

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
My grandmother was at a farmers market with our neighbor when she had a heart attack and stopped breathing. Because our neighbor knew CPR, that gave us another 15 years with her.

My mother had a heart attack while she was playing cards with some friends. One friend immediately called 911 and the paramedics took care of her right away - luckily, her heart never stopped and she was awake the whole time. They found three blockages and removed one and put in stents for the other two - all while she was still awake. The heart attack being where it was ended up being a blessing in disguise because they found the blockages before it was too late, which has happened to other people I know. Six months later she was dancing at my wedding.

Hearts are scary because my mom beat cancer twenty years ago and goes to the doctor and to Roswell religiously and still they never had any idea she had the blockages. I'm sure Kim Pegula has the best medical care available and still didn't see it coming. If you can, get regular stress tests and scans, I suppose.

Getting CPR training is so worth it. I need to recertify. Started getting it back in Boy Scouts. I have a friend who is no longer with us because they had a heart attack on a bar patio and no one there could do or even tried CPR. The doctors said if someone did know it he'd still be with us.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Wow. I truly wish the best in her recovery. She is one of my favorite sports executives. I don't think many realize how integral she has been to the Bills success. She is an incredible woman and I really hope she is able to recover enough to come enjoy the success of what she helped build.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Pens fan here! I hope she recovers as Much as Humanly Possible. I spent weeks in Hospital when my Mom had UTI that turned into Sepsis & all her Drs. were shocked she survived but at 84 she won that battle, But Sepsis won the war 6 months later. Sepsis did a lot more damage than the Drs. thought

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Wow. I truly wish the best in her recovery. She is one of my favorite sports executives. I don't think many realize how integral she has been to the Bills success. She is an incredible woman and I really hope she is able to recover enough to come enjoy the success of what she helped build.
She has been the recipient of ruthless attacks from media and online trolls. Truly one of the most disgusting things I have seen.

Hoping the best for her recovery.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Not super well versed in the medical field, is there tests that can be done annually on the heart to look for blockages or other heart damage?

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Not super well versed in the medical field, is there tests that can be done annually on the heart to look for blockages or other heart damage?
Yeah, you can ask for a referral to a Cardiologist and get a sonogram of your heart - that'll give you an idea of what's going on. If you have a family history of heart issues you should try and do this sooner rather than later. You can also get genetic testing done to see if you have markers for heart issues.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
To a certain extent. There is always a balance in medicine between what you CAN do and what you SHOULD do. Sure, an otherwise healthy individual could be subjected to annual angiograms...but to what end? You're unlikely to find anything wrong, meanwhile you're forcing a person to go through a procedure which carries its own risks that the patient otherwise wouldn't have needed to worry about. And that doesn't even factor in the added cost, which can be substantive, especially if you're now routinely performing the procedure on a lot more people.

Even something less invasive, such as an echocardiogram (i.e. an ultrasound of the heart), again you'd have to balance how much information you can get from it and the added costs associated with it. If it doesn't tell you what you really want to know, is it worth it?

In general, if you're otherwise healthy, a doctor isn't going to pursue it much further. But if you have a diagnosis of a heart condition, then doctors might consider these tests as part of monitoring it, and even then there may be questions as to what the proper frequency should be.

The best thing to do: have your annual physical, and be open with your doctor about anything that might be happening to you. You'd be surprised how often a diagnosis can be reached just from a good history and physical exam (even before factoring any sort of blood work). While not foolproof, it remains the best way to monitor for pretty much any condition you can think of.

Reactions: Zman5778

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Holy smokes. What an emotional read.

I'm so glad that Jessie wrote that story. It gave us a glimpse into an entire family having to deal with an enormous tragedy, coming together as a family and supporting each other, and trying to live your own life and attending to responsibilities while dealing with the realization that their mother/wife has a long, challenging, and difficult path ahead and that she will never be the same person that she was. At the same time, realizing that your own path in life has been altered as well.

Life's journey has so many twists and turns and can lead to situations that can sometimes polarize us. Enormous wealth can be one of those polarizing circumstances. I'll not expand on that. But things like health issues - severe or otherwise - death, suffering, recovery, rehab, etc. are great equalizers. We all go through them - personally and with parents, spouses, and children. This piece by Jessie Pegula really helped show that in so many ways, the Pegula family is just that - a real family with real life issues.

They have my empathy and hopes that things will progress for Kim as best as they can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad