Player Discussion Jesse Ylonen #56

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I think that's unnecessarily harsh to Hughes.

RHP had 20 points in 32 games last year and looked like he was tracking upwards. Injuries this year have really hampered him.

Pearson was part of getting rid of DeSmith. The hope was he could be flipped at the deadline for an asset, but it's clear he's cooked. It's an expiring contract.

White was a waiver pick up because, as bad as he is, he's better than Gignac. He's not a long term plan.

Ylonen showed himself to be an NHL body, but that was in part because he got more minutes in a thinner lineup. A one year two-way deal is a show me deal. Not a commitment. Ylonen has shown that he's not capable of filling a bottom six role.

What they all have in common is they're stop gap players. Not guys an organization hitches their wagon to. And Hughes hasn't hitched his wagon to any of them.

He can't compete physically, he plays quite small. RHP looks way out of his element, as do the others.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
He can't compete physically, he plays quite small. RHP looks way out of his element, as do the others.
Did I not say that? There's no long term commitment to these guys. Ylonen won't be back, but that doesn't mean he didn't warrant the year contact last year at a number that could be buried. RHP has a year left, and based on a season last year where he looked like he could be a new Gallagher, it was fair. Virtually all of it can be buried.

None of this means Hughes is attached to these guys. Three of them almost assuredly won't be back.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Does RFA Jesse Ylonen get a QA this summer? At best, I think he should get a QA and get waived to play in the AHL for next season. Really disappointed by his this season. RHP too.

If you click the Player Discussion prefix, it gives you all the player discussion threads. It's then easy to find the thread to use.

Reactions: Habs13

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Did I not say that? There's no long term commitment to these guys. Ylonen won't be back, but that doesn't mean he didn't warrant the year contact last year at a number that could be buried. RHP has a year left, and based on a season last year where he looked like he could be a new Gallagher, it was fair. Virtually all of it can be buried.

None of this means Hughes is attached to these guys. Three of them almost assuredly won't be back.

I'll be happy if NONE of them come back, and Roy makes a leap forward. Throw in a FA signing, a healthy Dach and we are ok up front. The blueline is the area of concern, depending on how Reinbacher progresses. I'm ok if they draft a stud D this year, just draft BPA and not by position

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I'll be happy if NONE of them come back, and Roy makes a leap forward. Throw in a FA signing, a healthy Dach and we are ok up front. The blueline is the area of concern, depending on how Reinbacher progresses. I'm ok if they draft a stud D this year, just draft BPA and not by position
I can appreciate that. I suspect RHP is back and not just because he's got one more year. When he's healthy he can play up and down the lineup. When he's healthy he can be effective even when he isn't scoring. Pearson is done. I'd be surprised if he gets anything more than a PTO somewhere. White will get a two-way deal somewhere. Ylonen likely goes to Europe where he'll make good money and can play up a lineup somewhere.

Barring hitting a home run in the lottery, my expectation is a lineup that looks like:

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Caufield
Newhook-Dach-Roy
Armia-Dvorak-Anderson
RHP-Evans-Gallagher
Pezzetta

Maybe they look at the UFA market, but I don't think this is the summer to commit a long term deal for someone. Maybe Monahan comes back.

The issues are Gallagher and Anderson. I think Gally is done and the only solution is LTIRetirement. We'll see if a break can get Anderson back to something approaching a 20g per 80 game pace. I have my doubts. They're not buying out three years. I don't see someone taking him at 50%, even if he'd be worth it. They'll wait another year and do it when the hit is a lot less and they're in a more likely position to want to add.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad