Player Discussion Jesse Ylonen #56

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I surprisingly could not find a thread about him, so here we are.

I've flipped back and forth on him. I had doubts about his environment to develop but now MSL is here and JY should benefit.
I think he's an NHLer, but I delighted to look at his stats and see a clear progression every year. But where do we think this progression will end? Where do you think Ylonen is headed? Discuss.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
for a second rounder I think that's a fair expectation. I like that he has both mobility and some size. I can see him being a great utility player of sorts.
Doesn't use the size. Added some mass in the offseason for puck battles along the boards.Let's give him some time, wait and see if there is a difference?

Too much of a perimeter player so far in his professional career -- That's the huge difference between Lehkonen and Ylonen.

Gritty VS SOFF

Reactions: rickthegoon

Sh4ded12

Sep 16, 2023
He potted 16 points last year in 37 games with average linemates. Him and HP are the only two rookies in recent memories who were called up and actually produced in the NHL.
This year is crucial for him.
Also, still don't know why they don't place him at left top circle spot on PP2 because he has a lethal one-timer.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He potted 16 points last year in 37 games with average linemates. Him and HP are the only two rookies in recent memories who were called up and actually produced in the NHL.
This year is crucial for him.
Also, still don't know why they don't place him at left top circle spot on PP2 because he has a lethal one-timer.
I agree with this entire post. Well said.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Gallagher on the PP over him is really inexcusable.
At least over time, MSL gives young players a chance, even though he always starts with the vets.

Last year we saw it with Hoffman, Dadonov, Drouin, Armia, etc.. At least this year also there's only Pearson and Gallagher in the way, and who knows how long they'll be healthy.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah man...that's just willingly making a special team unit worse (than it already is) intentionally because of "feels".

If we're being honest, Ylonen could probably also do more for the Pearson-Monahan line than Gallagher can/will.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

I agree with general consensus that Gallagher will never be the same as he was and is done as an impact forward in the NHL. That said, given he has 4 years left on his contract and might not be the type to sit out on LTIR, the opportunity cost of hoping he has a bounce back is pretty low.

Give Gallagher a few weeks coming off a summer of training and rehab and hope he puts something together. If (when) he doesn't then we can move on and put someone younger there. The upside of Gallagher finding a spot to contribute and not be one of the worst contracts in the league outweighs the downside of RHP or Yolo missing a few weeks of PP2 to start the season. There will also be injuries to move those guys into PP spots anyway, so its really not a huge cost.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
I would assume that is just the coaching staff providing themselves a reason like a week into the season to demote Gally and he won't be able to say a thing about it cause he would have been given his chance...hockey seems weird like that where it is the veterans position to lose even if we all know they shouldn't be there.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I don't mind Gallagher starting on PP2 unit, but if he is ineffective early into the season I'd make a change there.

I'd be inclined to try Ylonen in place of Anderson on PP2. Anderson is much more a 5 on 5 player to me, and he seems to do the most damage on the rush with his speed and size. He doesn't have the level of offensive awareness to make him a consistent threat on the PP. Anderson's PPP/60 was 18th among all our skaters last year. Ylonen's PPP/60 was actually a bit worse, but he didn't have a lot of PP time to get reps. I think it's worth giving him a chance because I think he has more in-zone IQ, awareness, and creativity than Anderson.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I surprisingly could not find a thread about him, so here we are.

I've flipped back and forth on him. I had doubts about his environment to develop but now MSL is here and JY should benefit.
I think he's an NHLer, but I delighted to look at his stats and see a clear progression every year. But where do we think this progression will end? Where do you think Ylonen is headed? Discuss.

there was a prospect thread of his but it didn't have much posting and none since August so I closed it.

He showed decent progress last year for sure, no question, now trying to figure out when a players progression will end is very difficult.

For now the main thing is just put him in the right positions, live with his mistakes and see what the next 2-3 years bring since I assume we will be rebuilding that entire time so they can carry him if he struggles for some time.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Habs fans always have a need for a whipping boy from Terry Harper to Patrice Brisebois to Joel Armia to the next group.
Well sometimes its understandable but the young guy on pace for 40 points on the third line drafted internally is certainly not the guy to rip , neither is the 21 year old Barron or 23 year old Jordan Harris who puts in some serious work on the backend for the team

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's actually decent.

Don't understand the unwarranted Barron/Ylonen/Harris hate around here. They aren't even bad

it's why fans on average can't withstand a full rebuild, they have zero patience. 5 minutes go by, wait he didn't score he's a bust f*** him, send him down, he's shit I told we should have drafted so and so.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He's actually decent.

Don't understand the unwarranted Barron/Ylonen/Harris hate around here. They aren't even bad

It's almost like people don't realize that this isn't EA sports and you can't have a 89 OA Elite player on every line.

There's roles to play and not every prospect or player is good enough to have an elite chair.

Barron is likely a trade chip but the upside is still an offensively inclined 2nd or 3rd pair defenseman who can skate and has size.

Ylonen may never be the top 6 scorer we hoped but he can carve out a Hagelin like career. Someone who can play in an offensive role, or a defensive role, and provide value through his skating and offensive ability while killing penalties, etc.

Harris is the perfect 4/6 defenseman who coaches love. Has unending poise, great skater, solid defensively, jumps into the attack, moves the puck. Every contending team wishes they had a Jordan Harris.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
It's almost like people don't realize that this isn't EA sports and you can't have a 89 OA Elite player on every line.

There's roles to play and not every prospect or player is good enough to have an elite chair.

Barron is likely a trade chip but the upside is still an offensively inclined 2nd or 3rd pair defenseman who can skate and has size.

Ylonen may never be the top 6 scorer we hoped but he can carve out a Hagelin like career. Someone who can play in an offensive role, or a defensive role, and provide value through his skating and offensive ability while killing penalties, etc.

Harris is the perfect 4/6 defenseman who coaches love. Has unending poise, great skater, solid defensively, jumps into the attack, moves the puck. Every contending team wishes they had a Jordan Harris.
Right if you don't like them thats one thing , if you wanna debate trading them for something I'm all ears but when you are calling U23 NHL regulars who can still improve trash there is something wrong with your assessment of these players

Reactions: WeThreeKings

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I would assume that is just the coaching staff providing themselves a reason like a week into the season to demote Gally and he won't be able to say a thing about it cause he would have been given his chance...hockey seems weird like that where it is the veterans position to lose even if we all know they shouldn't be there.
He's been useless on the PP since 2018-2019 but we kept giving him first line minutes. Killing our offense and bringing 0 creativity whatsoever.

This is beyond ridiculous. He should not be on the 2nd unit, he's proven year after year that he does not belong on the PP.

He should have been removed from it many years ago but for some inexplicable reason we keep giving him opportunities after opportunities.

This makes the situation even more frustrating knowing he's getting all the chances in the world to prop up his stats and still struggle to produce. This is Desharnais level of favoritism.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of Ylonen. It's either he stays at the AAAA level or becomes a middle-six forward for this team.

What I like

- Great wrist shot and playmaking abilities
- Great skater
- Went from under-sized to decent size
- A good candidate to fill on the top-six in case of injuries
- Would be a good PP2 option
- 775K contract

What I dislike

- Soft
- Defensively not strong enough to outweight his production as of today

If a player is soft and has issue defensively, I think it's a recipe for disaster at the NHL level if you're not good enough for the top-six. If he could improve one or the other he'd be a staple in the lineup and we all know he won't develop a mean streak out of nowhere. If he can improves defensively and be more involved in the play, he could be a Nhler for years to come.

I don't know if he would have made the team if not for the waiver situation but I hope for his sake he put points on the board early like he has shown he could in his limited appearances in this league.

At 24 years old, I'm not overly optimistic about his potential but on the bright side he added weight this summer and is on a two-way at 775K, low risk good potential reward situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad