Jesse Puljujarvi double hip surgery

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Bionics people bionics. They are rebuilding him into the 6 million dollar man.
Due to inflation he’ll be the 8 million dollar man... oh wait due to the low Canadian dollar he’ll be back down to the $6.5 million dollar man!

DR P00P

Feb 28, 2019
Everything going wrong for the guy... I Remember when all the Finns were claiming that even Pulju is better than Magnificent and should go #2 behind Laine
37 points in 139 games while playing with Mcdavid and now the new narrative is that he had bad hips

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Everything going wrong for the guy... I Remember when all the Finns were claiming that even Pulju is better than Magnificent and should go #2 behind Laine
37 points in 139 games while playing with Mcdavid and now the new narrative is that he had bad hips

The "bad hips" narrative is better than the "playing with McDavid" one. At least the former can't be proven false by looking at line combo stats.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Blake Wheeler
Wheeler's been mentioned a few times, he continued to progress at lower levels in his immediate 3 post-draft seasons. Going from high-school hockey (draft season) to USHL (Draft+1) to NCAA where he got 23 points (draft +2) to getting 38 points in the NCAA (draft+3). Although his first 3 NHL seasons stagnated. He did have a weird development curve though breaking out at like 25 and really breaking out at 29, which can't really be expected for anyone else due to how unique a development curve it was.

Puljujarvi is a weird case of a very highly touted prospect, who has basically stayed at the same level of player between 18 and 20.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Wheeler's been mentioned a few times, he continued to progress at lower levels in his immediate 3 post-draft seasons. Going from high-school hockey (draft season) to USHL (Draft+1) to NCAA where he got 23 points (draft +2) to getting 38 points in the NCAA (draft+3). Although his first 3 NHL seasons stagnated. He did have a weird development curve though breaking out at like 25 and really breaking out at 29, which can't really be expected for anyone else due to how unique a development curve it was.

Puljujarvi is a weird case of a very highly touted prospect, who has basically stayed at the same level of player between 18 and 20.
You’re still, on this particular example, failing to consider how things would look for Wheeler in first few seasons post draft if he had made the jump to pro/NHL hockey immediately. Again, this may speak more to the oilers poor choice in Puljujarvi’s development, but it remains fact that it’s unfair to compare players at the same age doing well in developmental leagues to players struggling in the best pro league in the world.

If JP was in college hockey from draft date until today, no one can know what his status as a prospect would be. It’s not inconceivable to think he’d be putting big pts at the college level and thusly still considered one of the best prospects around. And even that would be faulty if comparing him to guys who make the jump to the NHL at 18-19 yrs old and do nothing for a few years.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You’re still, on this particular example, failing to consider how things would look for Wheeler in first few seasons post draft if he had made the jump to pro/NHL hockey immediately. Again, this may speak more to the oilers poor choice in Puljujarvi’s development, but it remains fact that it’s unfair to compare players at the same age doing well in developmental leagues to players struggling in the best pro league in the world.

If JP was in college hockey from draft date until today, no one can know what his status as a prospect would be. It’s not inconceivable to think he’d be putting big pts at the college level and thusly still considered one of the best prospects around. And even that would be faulty if comparing him to guys who make the jump to the NHL at 18-19 yrs old and do nothing for a few years.
Again, you seem to ignore the main point. Which is the complete lack of any forward progress? Wheeler showed growth, which is what you want to see. We haven't seen anything like that with Puljujarvi. It's a similar situation to Sam Gagner who got rushed to the pros, and didn't really show any progress from 18 to 20. RNH didn't really show much progress either from his rookie until this season production wise (although, he benefitted from heavy puck-luck year one, and has rounded out his game). Although, both these guys started at a higher level. The point isn't that he is struggling, it is the fact he hasn't progressed as a player at all in 3 years. You seem to ignore that, and just write, well he's in the NHL. Well, most guys struggle early in the NHL, but most of them progress between the ages of 18 and 20. Look at guys like Seguin, Lecavalier, Joe Thornton, who struggled early on but quickly showed significant progress. Puljujarvi has basically stagnated as a fringe-NHLer for 3 full seasons post draft.

Maybe if Wheeler was rushed, he would have been completely ruined. He probably would have been overwhelmed, and there's a solid chance he never has the same developmental curve. I wouldn't doubt that. But, we have to look at what Puljujarvi is, a guy who hasn't progressed in 3 full seasons and no longer is waiver eligible. Seriously, not only has Puljujarvi's production stagnated, but I think most Edmonton fans don't believe he's really improved at anything in a noticeable manner. It's not like you can say he's rounded out his game, or other such things.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Wonder if Edmonton was disclosing this problem prior to the deadline when they were trying to flip him....

More interesting whether EDM knew about the problem for years and didn't do the surgery in 2017.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Hopefully this helps him turn his career around. He'll need to get out of the developmental cesspool that is Edmonton to, but I am sure he could be had for some picks to kick off rebuild 4.. Maybe get a 2nd or late first for him.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
If it is cam or pincer FAI, it is congenital. Meaning since he was born. Only the symptoms show up later in life. I have cam FAI. It sucks, my hip flexibility is greatly impaired. So much so it affects my back. I've never been able to do a normal squat.

Femoroacetabular Impingement - OrthoInfo - AAOS

I don't believe it's always congenital. As someone who had it in one hip (then had surgery to correct it) I believe that for me it was caused by poor recovery from a prior injury that led to compensations in movement that then led to an overtight hip muscle which caused femoral glide forward of the hip bone in the joint. If the hip isn't resting stable or as it normally would in the hip joint, bony growth can occur so it adapts to the "new normal".

That's why in recovery they stress activation and strengthening of the glutes. A strong and tight glute muscle pulls the hip bone back into the socket so it rests properly as it should (and any bone shaved won't grow back). For us normal people, we often sit for most of the day, stretching the glutes and putting the hips in flexion while in that position. This leads to tight hip muscles that pull the hip forward causing damage to the labrum, making it prone to unwanted bony growth, and a litany of other problems.

Basically to summarize, if you want to avoid hip problems, keep your glutes and abs strong. In congenital cases or when its an issue of displasia, well that's a different story altogether.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Maybe that explains this year, but he hardly progressed in the two years prior.

I'm honestly wondering if there has been a top 10 pick who showed as little improvement as Puljujarvi over their first 3 seasons who fixed course and ended up having a good career.

Hopefully he will buck the trend as I can't think of anyone off the top of my head either.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Dylan Strome was drafted the year before Puljujarvi, and had only put up 16 points in his NHL career. Currently sits at 40 points in 43 games since being traded.

I really do think Puljujarvi would turn out to be a similar case if he was traded. I also think it would be beneficial to bring in a Finnish forward for him to gel with. Donskoi or one of the Granlunds maybe? IDK

Reactions: jonu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad