Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
I don't understand why we haven't had a translator with him constantly on and off the ice since the day we drafted him. He was in the NHL as an 18 year old. Why make things tougher on him.

I still believe in him as a player and believe if he hits his potential he could become our 2nd most valuable player.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Do you want to arguably overpay him?

Id rather overpay him and have him be a legit 1st line player than be a career 3rd liner at a fair contract.

Also if he stars producing and has his confidence back mission accomplished. Move him down with Drai. Also we can give him a bridge deal and moniter the cap rise.

The goal should to get the best out of your high potential players. If youre not going that you have failed as an organization.

Reactions: Aerrol

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Id rather overpay him and have him be a legit 1st line player than be a career 3rd liner at a fair contract.

Also if he stars producing and has his confidence back mission accomplished. Move him down with Drai. Also we can give him a bridge deal and moniter the cap rise.

The goal should to get the best out of your high potential players. If youre not going that you have failed as an organization.

If he can't succeed being stapled to Drai then he probably isn't worth keeping around unless he explodes alongside McDavid. Would Drai have gotten $8.5 million had he not been stapled to McDavid? Like it or not we need to watch our cap and Jesse if VERY lucky to be able to have a 2C as good as Drai is.

Reactions: frag2

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
I don't ever really remember Pulju used in the way you're describing. I remember him was used in the bumper spot on a few occassions near the end of the season. The same spot that Draisaitl filled in the 16-17 season where he had so much success. The same spot Mark Scheifele plays with the Jets on their top unit.

And honestly, why would playing him as the net front presence be such a travesty? Big body, quick hands. He should be able to succeed in that role if that is where he is put. I'd be curious where the bulk of his goals have been scored. Has he scored more than one one-timer as an NHLer?

To me Your rational is comparable putting McDavid as a net front presence. He should be able to succeed in that role if that is where he is put.

Everybody knows though that this would be something a wise coach just does not do...

Reactions: McHockeyfan91

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
The Oilers keep striking out at the draft. Columbus's Finnish GM is very familiar with Pulju, and knew what he was doing when he selected Dubois instead. Yes it's still early, but Dubois will absolutely, positively be a better and more valuable player than Pulju in their respective NHL careers. Sad that such a golden opportunity was missed.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
The Oilers keep striking out at the draft. Columbus's Finnish GM is very familiar with Pulju, and knew what he was doing when he selected Dubois instead. Yes it's still early, but Dubois will absolutely, positively be a better and more valuable player than Pulju in their respective NHL careers. Sad that such a golden opportunity was missed.
This is so much hindsight its gross.

At the time everyone lost their shit that he fell to 4. Hf, the msm, the bloggers, fans etc.

Easy to come with the I told you so now

Reactions: TB12 and PulYou

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
This is so much hindsight its gross.

At the time everyone lost their **** that he fell to 4. Hf, the msm, the bloggers, fans etc.

Easy to come with the I told you so now

I'm not even saying I told you so. It's just unfortunate.

Jarmo deserves a ton of credit for his brave and correct call.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
sorry. you know this how?

Reactions: PulYou

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
That's an absolute, positive maybe. It's too early to tell.

Reactions: PulYou

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I find it so strange when people act like we passed on Dubois to pick Puljujarvi. Why should we care about Dubois? He was gone when the Oilers picked.

I've seen it on the main boards, too. People throw it in our faces that Dubois is turning out to be better than Puljujarvi so far. Everyone seems to think we had a choice between the two players or something?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I find it so strange when people act like we passed on Dubois to pick Puljujarvi. Why should we care about Dubois? He was gone when the Oilers picked.

I've seen it on the main boards, too. People throw it in our faces that Dubois is turning out to be better than Puljujarvi so far. Everyone seems to think we had a choice between the two players or something?

Yeah I see this alot as well.

Unfortunately for JP and the Oilers, Tkachuk, Keller, McAvoy look like better players to date.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Because Oiler fans and other fans were shitting on Columbus for passing on Pulju who people were saying was a sure bet.

Now Pulju is not improving (might actually be worse than when he was drafted) and Dubois became the #1 c on a playoff team.

Reactions: dawunderboy

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
or Tkachuk.

either way Pulju is a good prospect who might still become a star in this league.
I wouldnt consider him a "good" prospect anymore. His stock is taking a pretty hefty hit. Former junior star, couldn't handle the NHL in his first year and year and super meh in the ahl. Year 2 worse in the ahl and outside of one stretch just as meh in the NHL.

Guy went from a sure fire top 6 elite winger to has a chance to be a decent middle 6 guy.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

What you say is very true. It's tough to pick a guy that is not there when your choice happens. Moreover, it was clear from the reaction at the draft that Puljujarvi was ranked higher by most teams.

I really like Dubois and would have been fine if the Oilers had picked him at #4. (though I am quite sure Sergachev was the guy). But it really is too early to make a lot of definitive statements about how these guys will play out. Dubois had a very good year but he was also put into a very different role than Puljujarvi. He played almost the whole year with Panarin who is a terrific talent. JP played all over the place this year but when he did play with McDavid he did produce----5 goals and 8 points in 250 minutes 5 vs 5 is actually quite good. By comparison PLD had 10 and 5 vs 5 goals and 24 points in 792 ES minutes with Panarin. Neither player produced at the same pace away from the star.

Now JP was not consistent enough, at least in the eyes of his coach, to stick with McDavid while Dubois did earn his time on the top line. So this year the edge definitely goes to Dubois. But unlike Dubois, JP also had to deal with the language issues and cultural shock.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I wouldnt consider him a "good" prospect anymore. His stock is taking a pretty hefty hit. Former junior star, couldn't handle the NHL in his first year and year and super meh in the ahl. Year 2 worse in the ahl and outside of one stretch just as meh in the NHL.

Guy went from a sure fire top 6 elite winger to has a chance to be a decent middle 6 guy.

JP's first year in the AHL was far from "meh" given his age. The AHL is not a league that 18 year olds, especially 18 year old European dominate. They also asked him to concentrate on his play away from the puck which by all accounts he did. His second year he played 10 games. Any conclusion based on 10 games has little value.

The kid is 19 years old. At his age to suggest he is no longer a "good prospect" makes little sense.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

stocks for kids his age can change..
He scored 12 goals in 62 games this season playing 13 mins a night and got minimal PP time. What was Rantanen last year? a good middle 6 player?

Sure he can bust if he fails to break out. I would give him some rope here until he is given a fair shake ie put in a spot to succeed.

Reactions: shoop

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The kid is 19 years old. At his age to suggest he is no longer a "good prospect" makes little sense.

Great post. Puljujarvi is coming along just fine.

Entering his 20 year old season he has a real chance of stepping up to a top six role. It always amazes me how people complained about rushing prospects during the decade of darkness only to complain about a prospect 'only' scoring 20 points in his 19 year old season. Maybe if they rushed him a little more and played him all 82 games he would have had 25 points? :huh:

Reactions: TB12

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Great post. Puljujarvi is coming along just fine.

Entering his 20 year old season he has a real chance of stepping up to a top six role. It always amazes me how people complained about rushing prospects during the decade of darkness only to complain about a prospect 'only' scoring 20 points in his 19 year old season. Maybe if they rushed him a little more and played him all 82 games he would have had 25 points? :huh:
Because he shouldn't even be playing in the NHL and has zero confidence? He wasn't even ready for the AHL.

Could he improve? Absolutely.
Is his value far lower than the day he was drafted? Absolutely.

It's obvious that the world of scouts were wrong about Pulju being a sure thing ready to step into the NHL. Pulju is still a first round pick kind of guy but should never of gone top 5. Scouts get it wrong sometimes.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

Pulju is a really good prospect. You'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad