Jesse Lees - D Kelowna Rockets

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
66gp - 12g - 18a - 30p in 2012-13 as a 17 year old. One day from being a 2014 draftee.

He's listed at 5'11" and is reported as having very quick feet and crafty puck skills. Seems to me like the perfect type of player to bust out next year.

Why isn't there more hype surrounding him?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Every body in the dub knows about it. He is my dark horse player for this draft, the debate is if he is an OFD, TWD, or a DFD. Personally I find him more of a defensive defenseman who has the ability to jump into the offensive side of things from time to time. Here is my report,

Kelowna Rockets
#2 Jesse Lees – Defensive-Defenseman [2013]
Pros: Good physically. Always plays the body. Great with gap control. Great positional with stick in defensive zone. Great shot.
Cons: Doesn’t have a lot of offensive talent or figuring out that prt of his game. Could improve decision-making.
Potential: 3-6

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
His stats may show it but he really doesn't have a solid offensive game. If anything his style compares to a bigger and taller Kevin Bieksa, yet I doubt he ever reaches more than the 3rd line on a D corps.

CATMAN125

Dec 27, 2009
I wouldn't say lucky, I mean goals are goals. Yet many of them were wide open chances set up by others or were a product of his size and aggressiveness. His chances to score will not open up in the NHL like they have been in juniors.

Did you see some of his goals?
I watched every Rocket game...he has NHL Calibre shot.With some very slick dangles.
Regardless will see how this next year plays out in Kelowna.

CATMAN125

Dec 27, 2009
More opinions please 2013 Draft class question

Jesse is projected by a few on here and other chat forums to go some where in rounds 3-6. He has the exact same stats as Madison Bowey ,differences being style and size. Madison is a stronger skater , Jesse has smarter hockey sence , Madison is also almost a year older than Jesse so size gap should close a bit.

My question is if Madison is a potetial first rounder and if Jesse falls to the 6th round, what in comparison would Jesse go in other weaker draft years?
Rounds 2 or 3 ?

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Jesse is projected by a few on here and other chat forums to go some where in rounds 3-6. He has the exact same stats as Madison Bowey ,differences being style and size. Madison is a stronger skater , Jesse has smarter hockey sence , Madison is also almost a year older than Jesse so size gap should close a bit.

My question is if Madison is a potetial first rounder and if Jesse falls to the 6th round, what in comparison would Jesse go in other weaker draft years?
Rounds 2 or 3 ?

Coming into the year I thought the two were almost neck and neck, Bowey still ahead by a bit, but not too big of a gap. Coming into this season it became a bit more clear to me that he is not as mature or heads-up smart as Bowey. Doesn't have the same raw potential. Bowey is a better skater, more physical, and better all-around.

That being said, Lees is still a solid prospect. He does think the game well play on the rush pushing the puck up ice with passing or with skating. Not a burning fast skater, but smooth and mobile. Not a punisher physically but he's not afraid to throw the body around.

So why isn't he rated higher? He is prone to the occasional gaffe. It might be a bluntly awful turnover in the neutral zone or a slow reaction to what should seem like an obvious play in the defensive zone. Size isn't great, doesn't really project to get much bigger, but a late 2 inches would be huge for him. Good playmaker from the point but he doesn't do anything too incredible. Yeah he'll make some very good passes but he doesn't really have that true wow factor that guys like Theodore, Morrissey, and Bowey do. Keep in mind he played on a pretty stacked team, so the +/- numbers are pretty useless.

In another draft he might go a round or two higher. It's hard to tell. 3-4 maybe. I have him as a 5th for 2013.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad