Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part 15) Rise of the Wolverine Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
BB16F172-4F95-4446-901C-BF8F902783FA.jpeg

Artwork by Runner77

I’ll wait for Runner to come back and change this meme, after that fight Kotka is the f***ing Wolverine!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He was great for the majority of the season last year, he forced Juliens son Plekanec to retire. This year he should have been in the AHL, but he was more than good enough last year.

Reactions: 26Mats

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
He was great for the majority of the season last year, he forced Juliens son Plekanec to retire. This year he should have been in the AHL, but he was more than good enough last year.
Wouldn’t that be viewed as a demotion or a punishment to go from NHL to AHL? Yes he did well last season but we all know he didn’t belong here and the only reason he was here is because Bergevin was desperate to distract us from criticizing the team he has assembled. Thank god this kid seems to be mentally strong.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
KK is one of many reasons I want Timmins gone.

Last year and before the start of this year I convinced myself that KK could be a decent #2. I no longer think that. His skating is beyond terrible and his puckhandling is erratic to put it politely. What had me fooled last year was his defensive play. Well, this year even that aspect of his game has vanished. KK is another of Timmins top draft picks. One big painful eyesore. I know there will be many of this kid's fans who will vilify me but i don't care. This kid can't skate and can't handle the puck. At 19 there's just too much to work on just to make him a viable NHLer let alone a star as many are still pretending. WTF did the scouting staff see in him.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Wouldn’t that be viewed as a demotion or a punishment to go from NHL to AHL? Yes he did well last season but we all know he didn’t belong here and the only reason he was here is because Bergevin was desperate to distract us from criticizing the team he has assembled. Thank god this kid seems to be mentally strong.
How did he not belong here? He was putting up great numbers for someone his age and his play was substantially better. His play definitely dipped near the end of the season. While I dont agree with the benching and scratching, you cant deny this drop in performance. This year hes been really bad overall.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center

Last year and before the start of this year I convinced myself that KK could be a decent #2. I no longer think that. His skating is beyond terrible and his puckhandling is erratic to put it politely. What had me fooled last year was his defensive play. Well, this year even that aspect of his game has vanished. KK is another of Timmins top draft picks. One big painful eyesore. I know there will be many of this kid's fans who will vilify me but i don't care. This kid can't skate and can't handle the puck. At 19 there's just too much to work on just to make him a viable NHLer let alone a star as many are still pretending. WTF did the scouting staff see in him.
They obviously drafted for need, I think we are not as high on him this season because we believe we found our new shiny toy #1 C in Suzuki, and we’ve kind of put KK back on the shelf.

He’s obviously having the “sophomore slump” this season, but we knew he was gonna be a project, and what he showed last season was very impressive.

I still believe that in 2-3 more seasons he’s really gonna take off and become a solid 2 way #2C, he’s very skilled, when his body matures watch out.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
How did he not belong here? He was putting up great numbers for someone his age and his play was substantially better. His play definitely dipped near the end of the season. While I dont agree with the benching and scratching, you cant deny this drop in performance. This year hes been really bad overall.
He did very well last season. But he was too young and we took a risk, he could of been injured. My plan for him would have been to play for his father last season and this season, I would have sent a coach over there to help him work on his skating. Let him become the #1C over there. Next season 20-21 I would have started him in the AHL and see if he can dominate there first.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
He handles the puck like it's a hot potatoe. I want to see him keep the puck and use his body more to protect it to make a play.....thats what I would be coaching him to do

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
They obviously drafted for need, I think we are not as high on him this season because we believe we found our new shiny toy #1 C in Suzuki, and we’ve kind of put KK back on the shelf.

He’s obviously having the “sophomore slump” this season, but we knew he was gonna be a project, and what he showed last season was very impressive.

I still believe that in 2-3 more seasons he’s really gonna take off and become a solid 2 way #2C, he’s very skilled, when his body matures watch out.

I wasn't very impressed with him last year. At the time I thought he would become a decent #2 C. I no longer think that and Suzuki has nothing to do with my opinion. I look at his skating and his puckhandling and try very very hard not to get in my car and hunt down Timmins and give him an earful.

Reactions: angusyoung

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

I know exactly what they saw and he's not showing it much now. He was rushed, it's not always the person making the pick, there's this thing called development.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Food for thought:

Only Poehling, Hudon, Leskinen, Peca, Weise, Barber, Vejdemo, Oloffson have less ice time per game than KK.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I know exactly what they saw and he's not showing it much now. He was rushed, it's not always the person making the pick, there's this thing called development.
That's funny. I don't remember anyone claiming they rushed him last year. And I don't understand how being rushed could affect his skating and puckhandling. They would be just as bad in the AHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Too premature. Lets bookmark this and re-visit it when Kotkaniemi is 21. I'm flabbergasted on how so many good and knowledgeable Habs fans have forgot that we drafted him as a long term prospect.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He doesn’t show anything to deserve more ice time.

Management is still pushing to make the playoffs.

If I were them he'd be in Junior now - and only go to the A once he's dominated Junior.

Since they've decided to do whatever it takes to make the playoffs, if I were them, as soon as they believe we're out of the playoff picture, I'd do as above - send him down to Junior and then bring him up to Laval. Give him some time to develop.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
These posts are going to be hilarious to look at a few years from now...

This fanbase SCREAMS rebuild every day here but they have ZERO patience.

Then y'all wonder why the team refuses to acknowledge a rebuild.

Agreed. And they lack context - a ton of young hyped prospects are underperforming. Kaako, Hughes, Glass, Dach, Brown, etc. The rc scoring leader is 24 ffs.

It seems to take most players with his frame a few years to get going. Thornton, the Sedins.

I see a guy that knows where to be on the ice, battles hard, and has all the pieces but they cake isn’t fully set. Which it almost never is for 19 yo players.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
These posts are going to be hilarious to look at a few years from now...

This fanbase SCREAMS rebuild every day here but they have ZERO patience.

Then y'all wonder why the team refuses to acknowledge a rebuild.

100% true. Some of our fan base makes fun of the Leafs fan base but we are no different. We are so trendy as a whole and it's comical.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

Alternative theory: part of this thing called development is allowing young players to find their way without shitting on them. Development does not necessarily equal riding a bus in the AHL playing with inferior players, facilities, trainers. As if two minutes more pg in the AHL is an amazing dev plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad