Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This kid seemed to finish the year strong, in the AHL and then the play-ins and playoffs......using his body and scoring goals....let's hope it moves along into this season, whenever it starts!!
He has some serious skill. Hoping CJ will use him more, ala Muller in the playoffs...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This kid seemed to finish the year strong, in the AHL and then the play-ins and playoffs......using his body and scoring goals....let's hope it moves along into this season, whenever it starts!!
He has some serious skill. Hoping CJ will use him more, ala Muller in the playoffs...

I see Suzuki ahead of Danault but Danault ahead of Kotkaniemi heading into the year. Kotkaniemi is likely going be the sheltered line. Can Kotkaniemi gained momentum like Suzuki in his age 20 season? Where Suzuki stole Domi's center job as the season went along? Possible but it's also possible they shelter him more but he gets more PP time.

I like how Kotkaniemi started to play more physical. Initiate contact first cause prior to that, he was getting knocked down too much. That was a huge change to his game. He's smart and knows the areas he needs to work at. Just like Suzuki adding muscle before his 1st pro season.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
So excited for him this season. I like that he started the season slow in Finland before getting it going. Either he was missing on-ice practice time, or he needs A LOT of play-time to get his reflexes on point. Either way, it was a great humility lesson. Coaches were watching every game, they saw the same progression we did.

But please, give him 2 offensive players at all times 5 on 5. He was horrible from October to December when he was playing with Lehkonen and Byron. There were some shifts against Philly in the playoffs where the 2nd line was Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Domi, and they were flat out dominating the ice. He needs quick, shifty, and creative wingers that can set him up, AND find the open lanes for a short pass reception.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
So excited for him this season. I like that he started the season in Finland before getting it going. Either he was missing on-ice practice time, he needs A LOT of play-time to get his reflexes on point. Either way, it was a great humility lesson. Coaches were watching every game, they saw the same progression we did.

But please, give him 2 offensive players at all times 5 on 5. He was horrible from October to December when he was playing with Lehkonen and Byron. There were some shifts against Philly in the playoffs where the 2nd line was Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Domi, and they were flat out dominating the ice. He needs quick, shifty, and creative wingers that can set him up, AND find the open lanes for a short pass reception.

I'm pretty certain Caufield will work wonders with KK together. Their qualities seem to be destined to fit together.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I see Caufield with Suzuki myself, there’s something about that righty/righty combo center to sniper- worked when CC was with Hughes as well.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It appears that Kotkaniemi will get 3C role this year and maybe some more min's on the PP if he is ready for it and Julien trusts him. I know it's hard to predict what kind of year KK has but what does a 2 or 3 year bridge look like? I have him possibly around $4M. Some fans don't want to pay Danault $6M and hopefully it's around $5M. However, Kotkaniemi will not be passing Danault anytime soon. It's probably going to be like this and even in 23/24, KK will be 23 and Suzuki will be 24 and if Danault gets a 3 year term, he is in his last year at age 30 (I think Danault would actually like the 3 year term). Then you let him go and pay Suzuki and KK after their bridge years... if they turn into who we think they can be. If M Tkachuk, Laine, Point, McAvoy, Sergachev, etc can be bridged, so can KK and Suzuki.

20/21:
1C: $864k with possible ELC performance bonus
2C: $3.08M
3C: $925k with possible ELC performance bonus

21/22:
1C: $864k with possible ELC performance bonus
2C: $6M (3 year term)
3C: $4M (2 or 3 year bridge)

22/23:
1C: $5M-$6M range (2 or 3 year bridge)
2C: $6M
3C: $4M

23/24:
1C: $5M-$6M range
2C: $6M
3C: $4M

* Both KK and Danault should be signed for 3 years after this year
* Suzuki for 3 years as well after next season.

Then you evaluate where we stand heading into the 24/25 season. The key here with strategy should be term and how contracts overlap each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad