Jesper Bratt vs Filip Chytil

Bratt vs Chytil

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd take Bratt now, and for the future. He'd be a great complementary Top-6 winger for the Canucks. I like Chytil, but i'm not sure where he'd really fit in. I feel like he'd kinda get lost in the same thicket as Gaudette. Not really defensively stout enough to play much in that sort of bottom-6, but not really productive enough to play in the top-6 either.

Reactions: MikeyFlynn

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
I'd take Bratt now, and for the future. He'd be a great complementary Top-6 winger for the Canucks. I like Chytil, but i'm not sure where he'd really fit in. I feel like he'd kinda get lost in the same thicket as Gaudette. Not really defensively stout enough to play much in that sort of bottom-6, but not really productive enough to play in the top-6 either.

Small sample size but Chytil got a chance to play b/w Kreider and Buchnevich when Zib was hurt, he had no problem producing and their line was lights out. He's otherwise been saddled with pretty lousy linemates. His production in the AHL has also been very strong

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
McCurdy gives Chytil an edge offensively at even strength but Bratt is far superior defensively. Chytil was much better on the powerplay, but Bratt draws many more penalties and takes far fewer. Chytil is a year younger which is definitely a consideration at their ages.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Chytil is a very slick player , great candidate for breakout in the upcoming years.

Bratt to me seems like a good producer on bad teams.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007

smallish skill player hovering at .5 ppg , I know he is young but im not seeing much progression from him

Its great that he made the nhl as a 6th round pick but I dont think a team can be winning much if you got him in your top 6

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
smallish skill player hovering at .5 ppg , I know he is young but im not seeing much progression from him

Its great that he made the nhl as a 6th round pick but I dont think a team can be winning much if you got him in your top 6
But the Devils havent improved much either since he joined the league - wouldnt it be fair to give him (and the entire team) this season under a new coach with actual offensive schemes to see if he improves?

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
But the Devils havent improved much either since he joined the league - wouldnt it be fair to give him (and the entire team) this season under a new coach with actual offensive schemes to see if he improves?

Of course

But if I had the choice to pick a player right now and for the future I would pick Chytil for both , Chytil really impressed me every time I got to watch him.

Hes a sneaky good player who is bound to breakout hard imo.

Reactions: aufheben

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Of course

But if I had the choice to pick a player right now and for the future I would pick Chytil for both , Chytil really impressed me every time I got to watch him.

Hes a sneaky good player who is bound to breakout hard imo.
Fair enough. I have them as equals in my NJ vs NYR comparisons

Chytil has more room to breakout while I think Jesper has shown more to date. So I suppose it all falls onto how you view Chytil’a potential vs Bratt’s showings

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

You're crazy, he's a perfectly capable top 6 winger. As for progression, he finished the season with 8g 16p in his final 20 games (once he was finally put on a line with Gusev).

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Chytil has the better tools but Bratt has been more productive so far. Its Chytil's job to make the next step this upcoming season.

Bratt has impressed me with his skill in the o-zone

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

His even strength points/60 was 2.2 which is about average for a top line forward. I wouldn't consider him a top line forward yet because he still has consistency issues, but I think if he's able to work that out he'll be a strong 1st line option. I think if his play does not progress from where it is today he's a legitimate 2nd line forward on a contending team.

Another dimension here is that he is easily the best defensive forward on the team.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
they’re both really good it’s just a matter of what you need, cause they’re not really similar players at all.

Chytil got stuck babysitting our worst players most of the year so hopefully next year he proves just how skilled he really is. but he hasn’t done that while Bratt has so there’s that

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Chytil got stuck babysitting our worst players most of the year so hopefully next year he proves just how skilled he really is. but he hasn’t done that while Bratt has so there’s that

Exactly. People don't realize that Chytil's raw numbers aren't a great reflection of his ability. If he happened to get the role that Strome did, he probably doesn't put up that many less points. It just so happened that Strome played well with Panarin, so Chytil was relegated to mostly playing with Howden and Kakko, two of the worst players in the league last season. When Zibanejad was out injured and Chytil got a top six role, his numbers went up.

I'm hoping next season that Strome and Chytil are flipped.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Small sample size but Chytil got a chance to play b/w Kreider and Buchnevich when Zib was hurt, he had no problem producing and their line was lights out. He's otherwise been saddled with pretty lousy linemates. His production in the AHL has also been very strong

That's kind of the point though. Like, Chytil is stuck in limbo...whereas Bratt has shown he can be a very productive Top-6 Winger.

I like Chytil, but for the Canucks...i take the more "sure thing". Bratt is, without a doubt going to slot into the Canucks Top-6 as a winger. They need a winger like that. Chytil, i'm not really sure where he fits in. He might be a good player, but he's in the exact same void as Gaudette, who also might be a good player. And it's just not what the Canucks want as a 3rd line C, ideally.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
That's kind of the point though. Like, Chytil is stuck in limbo...whereas Bratt has shown he can be a very productive Top-6 Winger.

I like Chytil, but for the Canucks...i take the more "sure thing". Bratt is, without a doubt going to slot into the Canucks Top-6 as a winger. They need a winger like that. Chytil, i'm not really sure where he fits in. He might be a good player, but he's in the exact same void as Gaudette, who also might be a good player. And it's just not what the Canucks want as a 3rd line C, ideally.

Chytil is three years younger than Gaudette. I wouldn't put him in the same situation. He turned 21 eight days ago. Most players are not clear top sixers at 20 or younger in the NHL.

Reactions: doomscroll

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018

Gaudette was starting his third NCAA season when he was the same age as Chytil is now, their career trajectories are not at all the same at this point. The time Gaudette spent in college was the age-frame that Chytil solidified himself as an NHL regular with two seasons under his belt.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
they’re both really good it’s just a matter of what you need, cause they’re not really similar players at all.

This pretty much sums it up.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
What would be the reasoning for Chytil being better now?

Jesper produces more and is better defensively

28 people see Chytil as better today and I watch a lot of Rangers games - Im just not seeing what makes him better today

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
What would be the reasoning for Chytil being better now?

Jesper produces more and is better defensively

28 people see Chytil as better today and I watch a lot of Rangers games - Im just not seeing what makes him better today

Chytil hasn't gotten a chance to produce more than he has. You can be better and be less proven. None of us are arguing that Chytil's lesser numbers are better than Bratt's better numbers. The argument is that Chytil hasn't been given the same role so far on his team, and when he's given that, he'll produce better in it than Bratt does.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Chytil hasn't gotten a chance to produce more than he has. You can be better and be less proven. None of us are arguing that Chytil's lesser numbers are better than Bratt's better numbers. The argument is that Chytil hasn't been given the same role so far on his team, and when he's given that, he'll produce better in it than Bratt does.
I wouldn’t personally think you can both be better and less proven unless the discrepancy is Matt Martin/Jack Hughes type separation

But I understand what you are trying to say so if that is how you see it them fair enough! Id argue he needs to show it when their potentials are likely similar

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
He played nearly a minute more per game than Bratt last year....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad