Confirmed with Link: Jesper Boqvist accepts qualifying offer, re-signs with Devils - 1 year, 2-way, $874,125

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I like Jesper 2, thought he really picked it up last year. Don’t know if he really has a spot here though, unless we get rid of that other bum.

We were talking about potential 3C but I don’t think he fits that role at all.

Wonder if there’s any room for him if anything shakes out with John Doe #20

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
I'd also add that while Boqvist isn't the type of guy you open up the bank vault for, we're still currently in a spot where the Devils are organizationally kind of thin at center in the event of any significant injuries (especially if things really go south with McLeod's situation). If Boqvist builds off last year he ends up having a lot of value to the Devils, possibly more than he would to a number of other teams.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Nice. The thought that the other Jesper will be getting close to eight times that is mystifying.

Still holding out hope that they find a way to sign Kuokkanen and reunite the band with Sharangovich for one of the better third lines.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Not the Jesper we're waiting on, but I like Boq.

Last season kind of made me think of how quick some people are to want a guy gone: there were a number of voices around online Devils spaces calling for Boqvist to go, saying he had not future or whatever, while ignoring first that he looked a lot better a couple seasons ago once they shifted him full-time to center (around the same time they took Zacha off center), and more importantly ignoring the fact that he was barely 22 friggin' years old. Dude's still a baby.

I'm not anticipating him becoming a star or anything, but I'd love to see him rise up and grab the 3C spot and hold it tight. I like what he brings to the table and this season could be a big chance for him.
Speak for yourself (and apparently the commenters on here that felt Bratt could bring back Tkachuk in a trade or attract a free agent like Gaudreau).

Both the trade deadline and the free agent/trade season this summer exposed just how little the rest of the league values players like Bratt, Hamilton, Hughes, Severson, etc.

Yet the Devils continue handing out inflated salaries to stay above the salary floor - with no concern for icing a competitive team.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Speak for yourself (and apparently the commenters on here that felt Bratt could bring back Tkachuk in a trade or attract a free agent like Gaudreau).

Both the trade deadline and the free agent/trade season this summer exposed just how little the rest of the league values players like Bratt, Hamilton, Hughes, Severson, etc.

Yet the Devils continue handing out inflated salaries to stay above the salary floor - with no concern for icing a competitive team.
lol

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I'd also add that while Boqvist isn't the type of guy you open up the bank vault for, we're still currently in a spot where the Devils are organizationally kind of thin at center in the event of any significant injuries (especially if things really go south with McLeod's situation). If Boqvist builds off last year he ends up having a lot of value to the Devils, possibly more than he would to a number of other teams.
I dunno, Hughes Hischier Mercer Haula Boqvist plus Sharangovich whose played center seems…pretty great? Even without McLeod.

I get what you mean in the organization though. Outside the NHL there’s not much in the system. But with the NHL team where it is, i don’t think thatll be a problem for at least two years. But with the way Fitz has drafted, that probably means he’ll draft 90% centers over the next couple years.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
I dunno, Hughes Hischier Mercer Haula Boqvist plus Sharangovich whose played center seems…pretty great? Even without McLeod.

I get what you mean in the organization though. Outside the NHL there’s not much in the system. But with the NHL team where it is, i don’t think thatll be a problem for at least two years. But with the way Fitz has drafted, that probably means he’ll draft 90% centers over the next couple years.
Said it during the draft this year, but yeah, just like how he saw 2022 as the year of the right handed defensemen and drafted a bunch, I think 2023 ends up being the year of the center at the draft and Fitz likely focuses there (assuming no absurd overreaching).

And yeah, I just mean that if we want to be in it this year we need Jack and Nico to be mostly healthy, but we need decent enough depth for fill-ins in the event there's, say, three weeks where one's missing, and there's not really anyone in the AHL who's ready to come up and provide the depth that would ease shifting, say, Mercer or whomever into a top spot for a little while. Not saying the Devils have nothing, mind, but just that Boqvist's potential to be a decent center is important for a team that won't be able to bring up a prospect who's ready for the job this year if things go sideways health-wise for a bit.

Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Quite surprised he just accepted the QO. Did he not have arbitration rights? He would've at least got a one-way deal.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Quite surprised he just accepted the QO. Did he not have arbitration rights? He would've at least got a one-way deal.

No arbitration rights. It's really hard to imagine a scenario where he's playing in the AHL next season.

Reactions: Nubmer6

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Shara is really emergency depth at this point.

Mercer? Maybe, but obviously he's currently being penned in as a winger.

Haula? Do we think he's around beyond this year?

I do think it will be interesting to see who the 3rd center is this upcoming season. Do they kind of hybrid around a Boq Haula combo?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad